Wiki Posts
Search

De L'Europe in Amsterdam Presidential Suite

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
De L'Europe in Amsterdam Presidential Suite

Does anyone have any pics or info about the presidential suite at De L'Europe in Amsterdam which is apparently 6 bedrooms?
Old May 21, 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Does anyone have any pics or info about the presidential suite at De L'Europe in Amsterdam which is apparently 6 bedrooms?
I haven't toured the presidential suite but I usually go to De l'Europe when in Amsterdam. If any info needed on this hotel ask
Old May 21, 2013, 11:38 am

Vincent (and anyone else who wishes to chime in),

I'm heading to Amsterdam next week for the first time. I'd ideally like a hotel with contemporarily luxurious design, outdoor space and/or water views, and five-star service. I'm debating between the De L'Europe, Le Grand, and perhaps the Canal House (Conservatorium seems excellent but doesn't really meet what I"m looking for). Any thoughts? I'd likely book a junior suite at any of these, which appears to secure separate showers and tubs, views, and terraces. Service and vibe are the variables I'd love some input on.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2013, 12:08 pm

I've been to the IC once and I found the design to be extremely tired. The location, despite the beautiful Amstel view, is not the best. As for the design, there is nothing contemporary about it (you should find pics on the IC thread).

As for De l'Europe, it's one of my favorite hotels in Europe. Never really got the time to write a trip report unfortunately but here are a few thoughts :

. i'm really fond of the design ( something between classical and modern, with warm colors reminiscent of Dutch paintings). I've booked a junior suite through DavidO the last time I was there and I was upgraded one category to a regular suite, with canal view and a really small juliet balcony (room 302, lots of light and a beautiful view)

. Service is on par with what we call luxury on this forum but that's to be expected with the price they charge and the size of the hotel (close to a hundred rooms so you won't find any large scale convention bothering patrons). It's close to a "boutique" feel and they remember you. They've done wonders when it comes to small touches (ex : the front desk opening without asking anything the terrace of one of the banquet rooms at 4 in the morning in order to enjoy with a friend the canal and them delivering room service there which remains a good memory up to today )

. Location is, at least for my needs, perfect. You're 15 min from the Thalys station, and a 15 min walk to Vondelpark and the major cultural activites. It's a quiet neighbourhood, and you have a deli/brasserie which is quite popular among the locals on the same street (Café de Jaren)

. Lap pool and Gym offer view on the canal and have a terrace, though during winter i believe the terrace access is closed

After, here are a few drawbacks :

. Freddys Bar is a really nice place to have a drink (that's a PLUS) but it is small (but has a really comfortable smoking lounge with cigars) and tends to get overcrowded easily on weekends. They do not prioritize hotel guests unless being told, but the service recovery afterwards was agreable
. Internet is free, they've got Ipads in every room but internet reception can be a nightmare depending on where your room is located. First time in a deluxe street view room it was okay (speed similar to what FS offers for free nowadays) but while staying in a canal view suite I could not connect my devices (Ipad or computer)
. I still haven't figured out why, but I've specifically asked to have twin beds (staying with friends) each time I went there, through direct booking or TA, and each time they told me it was confirmed and failed to deliver. Despite their saying, I'm still not sure they actually have something else than double beds at this hotel.

In my opinion, only the IC and the De l'Europe fit this forum standard. Being a twenty-something, De l'Europe is more attractive, especially given the tired design of the IC (and I'm fond of classical design). But service at both will satisfy your needs, Nba1017.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:19 pm

And the Concierge service is just fine. They will deliver the usual requests efficiently, but asking for a nightclub recommendation didn't turn out that well. We specifically asked for a place (that was closed on certain weekdays), they had trouble advising us and their following advice was not really tailored to be polite). Ask for the Head concierge if help needed .
Old May 21, 2013, 2:40 pm

Vincent,

Thanks so much! Your comments confirm that the De L'Europe is likely ideal.
Would you say that a water-view junior suite is sufficient for just a couple nights or is there a noticeable difference between them and the full suites?

Also if you recall--are there smoking rooms? Trying to avoid yet another expensive phone call while Skype is down.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017
Vincent,

Thanks so much! Your comments confirm that the De L'Europe is likely ideal.
Would you say that a water-view junior suite is sufficient for just a couple nights or is there a noticeable difference between them and the full suites?

Also if you recall--are there smoking rooms? Trying to avoid yet another expensive phone call while Skype is down.
A junior suite is 45/50 square meters / a regular suite is 60/70 square meters. I could have put 10 people in the living room part of the suite. If you want to entertain people a junior suite won't do the deal, otherwise the size is very decent for a single / couple traveling. I felt I had my own apartment there with the regular suite. But they try to upgrade so a junior suite booking through virtuoso should land you a nice room.

Rooms are non smoking and I was specifically warned not to try to test it by the valet (in his own words : "First time the alarm goes off is ok, second time firemen won't be happy" in a dutch / english vocabulary)
Old May 21, 2013, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by vincentb89
A junior suite is 45/50 square meters / a regular suite is 60/70 square meters. I could have put 10 people in the living room part of the suite. If you want to entertain people a junior suite won't do the deal, otherwise the size is very decent for a single / couple traveling. I felt I had my own apartment there with the regular suite. But they try to upgrade so a junior suite booking through virtuoso should land you a nice room.

Rooms are non smoking and I was specifically warned not to try to test it by the valet (in his own words : "First time the alarm goes off is ok, second time firemen won't be happy" in a dutch / english vocabulary)
Thanks. Glad to hear that the hotel is now non-smoking. The smell of smoke on the 2 occasions I was there was oppressive. Ashtrays with cigarette butts by the elevators. Smoking in rooms, restaurant and bar. Other than that, I loved the hotel. Also, thought the hotel restaurant was quite good.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

front desk opening without asking anything the terrace of one of the banquet rooms at 4 in the morning in order to enjoy with a friend the canal and them delivering room service there which remains a good memory up to today
brilliant. any similar experiences elsewhere?

OP - 6BR sounds like connecting
Old May 22, 2013, 10:14 am

Thanks again. I've booked a water view junior suite and will take my chances with whatever upgrade comes along. They've been very receptive with pre-arrival correspondence and I'm looking forward to the stay.

If the opportunity arises I will be sure to ask the staff to open the terrace for me at 4am as well...
Old May 22, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
A junior suite is 45/50 square meters ...... otherwise the size is very decent for a single / couple traveling.
Donīt tell my wife! I always tell her such a "small" room is nearly inhumane and so we need one of the bigger suites

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.