Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by germantraveler
LH flights departing the US to Germany the evening of 1 APR show still availability (while those 2-4 APR are zeroed out); so at least LH interprets the union's announcement the way that those flights are not in the strike pool.
That's helpful. Thanks!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
what about Austrian? not at all affected? I have a long haul on Austrian during this period!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:50 pm

I have a UA award flight on LH metal in First on April 2nd.

If this flight gets cancelled, and I am happy to take the first flight post-strike (say April 5th), will UA rebook me into any empty seat in LH First, or will there need to be award seat availability?

I've posted the same question in the UA forum as I know it's a UA problem to sort out, but just hoping to understand the process ASAP.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by skyvanman
Anyone have any idea how likely April 4 DFW-FRA will be cancelled, debating calling United and asking for a rebooking, currently only person in F on DFW-FRA on what is otherwise a very full flight.
Mrs. Robarto & I are in F on that flight (just now picked seats) ... I did have the thought "well, it's leaving 1 hour before the strike ends, if the plane & crew are already in DFW it could just leave an hour late" but I guess we won't know until Monday. Hopefully they're putting this weekend to good use re: labor negotiations.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Varus50
I have a UA award flight on LH metal in First on April 2nd.

If this flight gets cancelled, and I am happy to take the first flight post-strike (say April 5th), will UA rebook me into any empty seat in LH First, or will there need to be award seat availability?

I've posted the same question in the UA forum as I know it's a UA problem to sort out, but just hoping to understand the process ASAP.
USUALLY there needs to be award inventory on that flight. Not sure if the strike compels any exceptions to be made. In most anecdotes last week with the strike pax were getting cabin downgrades instead of upgrades, but if you are flexible then there should be seats no later than a few days after the strike for you to rebook to in F
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by MisterRobarto
Mrs. Robarto & I are in F on that flight (just now picked seats) ... I did have the thought "well, it's leaving 1 hour before the strike ends, if the plane & crew are already in DFW it could just leave an hour late" but I guess we won't know until Monday. Hopefully they're putting this weekend to good use re: labor negotiations.
I have a funny feeling that there won't be a strike.....I have no working knowledge re: the negotiations, but I can't fathom LH letting pilots walk off for 3 days and LH did make a decent gesture to them late friday.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:10 am

I have an UA award on LH: NRT-FRA (4/1) , FRA-DFW (4/2). It looks like the NRT-FRA is fine, but the FRA-DFW is zeroed out (while LH site shows 'scheduled'). Does anyone know what happens if I take a chance by flying to FRA and see if FRA-DFW still flies?

Also, if the they somehow reach an agreement, will the cancelled flight be back as if nothing happened?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: -
Was also able to rebook UA award with no change fee. At first agent said can't do it, asked her to check with supervisor and apparently they are approving it on a case by case basis.

Anyway, doesn't hurt to try. For what it's worth was flying bos-fra-cdg-bkk in LH F and TG F
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Just a word of caution for those flying into FRA and taking a gamble. There seems to be an event or trade fair happening and hotels are either full or very expensive. Even if LH has to provide accommodation it could be painful.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by banzani
Just a word of caution for those flying into FRA and taking a gamble. There seems to be an event or trade fair happening and hotels are either full or very expensive. Even if LH has to provide accommodation it could be painful.
It's a trade-fair: http://light-building.messefrankfurt...illkommen.html

Forget about getting a room during that time courtesy of LH - if you strand in FRA you will sleep on a bench...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by banzani
..Even if LH has to provide accommodation it could be painful.
Why would they do that?

The refused me hotels for lesser reasons than strike.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by MisterRobarto
The strike is supposed to end MIDNIGHT (or 11:59 PM) on the 4th, not 11:59 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:26 am

The strike was said to be 3 days but from April 2-4
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by zipo
The strike was said to be 3 days but from April 2-4
read the post just above yours
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Diamond
Any idea when they'll be releasing the list of cancelled / affected flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.