Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the tips. As a first timer in Japan, would you guys recommend staying around NRT or HND?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Thanks for all the tips. As a first timer in Japan, would you guys recommend staying around NRT or HND?
Haneda has nothing to offer, except taking a hotel room for the day. There are some options in Narita, the city Narita that is. And it is often recommended for people with a few hours to kill in between Narita flights. I have never been, so I don't know how much there really is to see...
The Tokyo station based sightseeing is good for a first timer, just prepare a bit in advance. The gardens by the Imperial Palace is close by (closed Mondays), Ginza, Takashimaya department store, Marunouchi, some good options to experience a bit of Tokyo.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:27 pm

If you want to spend your time mainly around Tokyo Station area (eg, Imperial Palace, Ginza, Tokyo Sta itself), then store your stuff at Tokyo Station. NRT Express will take you straight to NRT from there.

If you want to spend your day in Ueno and Asakusa, then store your stuff at Ueno Station or Keisei Ueno Station. Skyliner will take you straight to NRT from Keisei Ueno.

Personally, I think Ueno/Asakusa would be more interesting to the first-time visitor. You can throw Tokyo Sky Tree into the mix, also.

Outside of that, Shinagawa might be the easiest place for you to store bags. Reason is that it's a one-shot direct train ride from HND terminal to Shinagawa (no transfers needed) and NRT Express also departs from there for NRT to boot. Plus, Shinagawa Sta is far less complicated than Tokyo Sta. Throw your stuff in a Shinagawa Sta locker, then you can head up to Shibuya, Harajuku/Omotesando, Shinjuku, etc.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
If you want to spend your time mainly around Tokyo Station area (eg, Imperial Palace, Ginza, Tokyo Sta itself), then store your stuff at Tokyo Station. NRT Express will take you straight to NRT from there.

If you want to spend your day in Ueno and Asakusa, then store your stuff at Ueno Station or Keisei Ueno Station. Skyliner will take you straight to NRT from Keisei Ueno.

Personally, I think Ueno/Asakusa would be more interesting to the first-time visitor. You can throw Tokyo Sky Tree into the mix, also.

Outside of that, Shinagawa might be the easiest place for you to store bags. Reason is that it's a one-shot direct train ride from HND terminal to Shinagawa (no transfers needed) and NRT Express also departs from there for NRT to boot. Plus, Shinagawa Sta is far less complicated than Tokyo Sta. Throw your stuff in a Shinagawa Sta locker, then you can head up to Shibuya, Harajuku/Omotesando, Shinjuku, etc.
I think it might be useful to mention some more details about me:

25 years old male
I don't speak ANY Japanese
Will be by myself for my time in Japan.

How do the storage lockers work? Is there a size limit I should be aware of?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by pushthelimit
I think it might be useful to mention some more details about me:

25 years old male
I don't speak ANY Japanese
Will be by myself for my time in Japan.

How do the storage lockers work? Is there a size limit I should be aware of?
As far as locker sizes go, see here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Large lockers can be hard to come by, depending on the station and the day. Small ones tend to be a lot more readily available, although I've run into situations where there was literally no lockers free (of any size) at Tokyo Station. Tokyo Station also has a manned counter (cloak) where they'll keep your bags, but it may not be open at the early hour that I presume you'll arrive in Tokyo. Anyways, I'd think you shouldn't have any problems finding available medium-sized lockers at Shinagawa, Ueno or even Tokyo Station on an average weekday morning. Somebody here mentioned in the past that upscale hotels in Tokyo will agree to keep your luggage, even if you're not staying there. I've never tried this. But in the worst-case scenario where you can't find any suitable lockers, maybe you can try it (try Strings Intercontinental in the case of Shinagawa).

25yo male visiting Tokyo for the first time... well, why don't you look up Ueno (inc Ameyokocho and Ueno Park), Asakusa, Tokyo Sky Tree, Imperial Palace, Harajuku, Shibuya and Shinjuku and then decide what would interest you the most? I'd probably do one of the two options: Ueno/Asakusa/SkyTree or Shibuya/Harajuku/Omotesando. You'll probably have ~9hr in Tokyo, although keep in mind that a lot of stores, restaurants and even cafes open later than in the States. Sky Tree does open fairly early like 8am, though.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: american airlines
connecting from HND to NRT

I am flying from Beijing to Tokyo and landing at HND at 12:45. I need to get to NRT for a flight that leaves at 5:20. Is this safe to do?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk bestdent. I am moving your thread to the Japan Forum for discussion.
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, NW
There used to be a whole thread about this, but essentially, yes.

There is a bus connecting the two airports. but if you are landing at 12:45, you may not be able to make the 1:10PM bus and would have to wait till 2:20, which would get you into Narita Airport at 16:20, according to the schedule. This is doable for a 17:20 flight, especially if you go straight to your gate. Japanese security procedures are quick and efficient.

It may be easier (and less dependent on traffic) to take a cab to Shinagawa Station and hop aboard the 13:50 or 14:20 Narita Express, which will get you there at either 15:00 or 15:27. This will give you a chance to poke around in the shops for some souvenirs, if you wish.

In your case, don't worry too much about language. Shinagawa (Shee-na-ga-wa) Station is a routine destination for cab drivers who serve Haneda, the people at the ticket office will understand "Narita Express," especially if you write down your desired time military style (24-hour clock).

The cabs are pricey, about ¥4500, but if you don't mind taking the train to Shinagawa (it's a different ticket, because that train and the Narita Express are operated by different companies) will cost maybe ¥600.

There are other, more complicated routes, but these two are the easiest.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
there seems to be a direct train from Haneda to Narita at 13:45 arriving 15:17.

Departing at13:45

Keikyu-Airport Line(Airport Limited Express) 5 m
Keikyu Kamata

Keikyu Line(Airport Limited Express) 9 m
Sengakuji

Toei-Asakusa Line(Airport Limited Express) 20 m
Oshiage

Keisei-Oshiage Line(Access Express) 6 m
Aoto

Keisei Line(Access Express) 2 m
Keisei Takasago

△Arriving at15:17
Keisei-Narita Sky Access Line(Access Express) 45 m 1,760 Yen (IC Fare 1,746 Yen)
Narita Airport

There are a lot of variations from Haneda to Narita, only a few that have no transfers. Give this site a shot, and if that doesn't work, look on the websites of Keikyu (Haneda) or Keisei (Narita). They have trains that go interline from Keikyu to Keisei from Haneda to Narita.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Note that the direct train is a commuter train -- it makes many stops en route and there isn't much space for luggage.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta
I'm not a HND to NRT expert. However, it appears that there are more frequent departures from HND Terminals 1 and 2 as compared to the International terminal. Couldn't the OP take a shuttle to one of those Terminals from International and then catch the bus to NRT? The bus is by far the most convenient.

On this page, click on the various Terminal departure points and noticed the differences in frequency.
https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bu...ta/haneda.html
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by nishimark
I'm not a HND to NRT expert. However, it appears that there are more frequent departures from HND Terminals 1 and 2 as compared to the International terminal. Couldn't the OP take a shuttle to one of those Terminals from International and then catch the bus to NRT? The bus is by far the most convenient.

On this page, click on the various Terminal departure points and noticed the differences in frequency.
https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bu...ta/haneda.html
Good point. The OP could do that, although I don't have much experience myself with inter-terminal bus transfers at HND either.
Other options:
- 13.45p Keikyu train which is a direct Access line service to NRT (arrives 15.17p)... I would do consider this if you're traveling light.
- 14.40p Limo Bus noted by ksandness (arrives NRT at 16.10 or 16.15p depending on your terminal). 95% chance this will arrive either early or on time, so I think you'd be safe and could consider this esp if you've got lots of bags and your flights are on the same booking.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by evergrn
Good point. The OP could do that, although I don't have much experience myself with inter-terminal bus transfers at HND either.
Actually, I just remembered that we used the inter-terminal bus to move from domestic to international terminal this past summer. It was just like the one in NRT, about a 5 minute easy bus ride.

OP, I'd strongly consider this option. After exiting the international terminal at HND, there will be several bus stops directly outside the building. One of those will be for shuttle buses that come probably every 10 minutes or so to connect you to domestic terminals 1 and 2. The buses look like a city bus, but have some space for luggage on the floor. Get off at the domestic side and then look for a sign for the bus to NRT. As noted in my post above, check the link for departure times.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Definitely transfer to the other terminal and take the direct bus between HND and NRT. It will be super convenient. And it's a very normal thing to do. As long as you speak clearly (not super fast, not blurring all your words together), someone at the info counter will be able to direct you. Most people who work at the airport speak at least a little English, even the folks loading luggage onto the buses.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:09 am

Hey all, quick question.

I have a 90 minute INT-INT connection at Haneda.

UA875 from SFO, seems to regularly get in at Gate 148, scheduled 22:35.
NH843 out to SIN, not sure what gate it leaves from, scheduled 00:05.

It was legal enough to be booked on a single ticket (codeshare), but is it safe? Any tips/tricks I should know for getting through transfer re-screening? (My checked luggage will stay checked-through, right?)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.