Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Retina
Hey all, quick question.

I have a 90 minute INT-INT connection at Haneda.

UA875 from SFO, seems to regularly get in at Gate 148, scheduled 22:35.
NH843 out to SIN, not sure what gate it leaves from, scheduled 00:05.

It was legal enough to be booked on a single ticket (codeshare), but is it safe? Any tips/tricks I should know for getting through transfer re-screening? (My checked luggage will stay checked-through, right?)

Thanks!
Very safe. No need to recheck luggage, and only transit security
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
We're looking at booking a flight to Japan next November. We were considering trying out Singapore Suites, but it leaves us a very tight connection time in NRT:

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT to FUK
The airline on which you are arriving: Singapore Airlines
The airline on which you are departing: JAL
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 55 minutes
How you are connecting: INT-DOM
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Separately-booked tickets.

Singapore is scheduled to land at 6:05pm, and the latest NRT-FUK flight I can find leaves at 7pm. We've taken it before, but came in on an earlier flight, so there was no problem catching it. This time seems like too tight a transfer time to me. Should I even consider it, or is it unrealistic and likely to leave us stranded/extremely stressed trying to get through customs in time?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by kirax2
The airline on which you are arriving: Singapore Airlines
The airline on which you are departing: JAL
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 55 minutes
That would involve a change of terminals wouldn't it? (SQ = T1 / JL = T2)
I think 55 mins is less than the "legal" minimum connection time, so you probably wouldn't be able to get that itin. on one ticket. (And in that case, I wouldn't consider it).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by jib71
I think 55 mins is less than the "legal" minimum connection time, so you probably wouldn't be able to get that itin. on one ticket. (And in that case, I wouldn't consider it).
I'm pretty sure I couldn't get them on one ticket anyway - isn't Singapore Star Alliance and JAL OneWorld? I guess I'll call Singapore and see what they think, but it looks like we may be out of luck this time. Too bad, I was excited about trying the Suites.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jib71
55 minutes is below MCT. Even without a terminal change, going through immigration and customs leaving the international area, and a new security check to enter the domestic is going make this almost impossible.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Connecting in NRT to BKK - how much time I need?

I am arriving from Canada (AC 03), at 1640 at NRT, connecting to Thai Air, at 1735, is that too tight to make the flight? I can have my luggage sent through but not sure if I HAVE TO go through custom at Japan and get the luggage before connecting or not?

Is there any way to make a 55mins connection or shall I just look for another flight?

Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
You will not have to go thru customs, only a soft security screening.

Scheduling 55 minutes between flights should be fine if your inbound flight is on time as NRT is an efficient airport to connect. It is a legal international to international MCT. No problem with your checked bags making it either. Just don't dottle between flights, and if you can try to sit towards the front of the plane to save a few extra minutes when exiting the aircraft.

SL
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:49 am

LAX-NRT (UA/NH codeshare); 1 Hour transit time; NRT-KUL (NH flight)

Booked on single ticket. Flying from LAX to NRT on UA plane (UA32/NH7019). 1 hour 10 minutes connecting time. Then flying onwards to final destination KUL on NH plane(NH815). I am assuming since there is a single ticket, I will not have to re-check luggage or anything...is this enough time? There will be 4 of us including 2 kids.
TIA!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSGC
Booked on single ticket. Flying from LAX to NRT on UA plane (UA32/NH7019). 1 hour 10 minutes connecting time. Then flying onwards to final destination KUL on NH plane(NH815). I am assuming since there is a single ticket, I will not have to re-check luggage or anything...is this enough time? There will be 4 of us including 2 kids.
TIA!
It should be fine, Narita is an efficient airport. And NH will send staff to assist if you are late in the inbound.
There will only be a transit security check, no other steps to go through.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
HND Int-Int Connection?

Hi, connection question please.

Arr HND on Thai from BKK at 22:30. Depart on UA to SFO at 0:20.

Presume 1 hr 50 min. will be ample time to clear immigration and re-check bag?

Will arrival and departure be in same terminal?

Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacknyoc
Hi, connection question please.

Arr HND on Thai from BKK at 22:30. Depart on UA to SFO at 0:20.

Presume 1 hr 50 min. will be ample time to clear immigration and re-check bag?

Will arrival and departure be in same terminal?

Thank you.
There is no need to clear immigration and recheck the bags. There is just transit security, and yes it is the same terminal. More than plenty of time.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Many thanks, CPH-Flyer

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is no need to clear immigration and recheck the bags. There is just transit security, and yes it is the same terminal. More than plenty of time.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Hi everyone,

I have the following connection:
NH024 DEP 12:00 ITM
NH024 ARR 13:10 HND
NH845 DEP 17:00 NRT

NH845 ARR 23:15 SIN

Are 3h50m enough to transfer between HND and NRT? I read that the bus limousine transfer takes around 90min + luggage retrieval at HND + security check at NRT.

Any recommendations on the most efficient itinerary and past experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qsharp
Hi everyone,

Are 3h50m enough to transfer between HND and NRT? I read that the bus limousine transfer takes around 90min + luggage retrieval at HND + security check at NRT.

Any recommendations on the most efficient itinerary and past experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
The best way, especially of you have luggage, would be the limousine bus. That time of day should not have any traffic to speak of. The busses run about every 15 minutes most of the day.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by qsharp
Hi everyone,

There's an ANA flight from ITM to NRT departing at 14:!5 and arriving at 15:35. Could you switch to that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.