Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
HND 18 Hour Connection

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: HND
The airline on which you are arriving: ANA from HKG
The airline on which you are departing: UA to SFO
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 18hr 35min (5:55 am - 12:30am)
How you are connecting: INT-INT
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Single Ticket

Was looking for some ideas for this long connection.

1) Are there nearby day rooms outside of Haneda airport? I realize there is a day room (hotel) within the HND airport, but I am not certain if I can transit within the airport. The last time I connected through HND, they needed a boarding pass for the ongoing flight (to go through transit security). Since my UA flight isn't for 18+ hours, I'm not sure if they will accept an online boarding pass for the next day (12:30 am).

In any case, if I am unable to transit directly, I would like to have a backup plan (i.e. go out through immigration, find a day room nearby or in central Tokyo). Any ideas or suggestions?

2) Luggage storage. In previous posts, other mention storing luggage at Tokyo train station. Is this the best spot? Are there other spots to store luggage? Can Luggage be stored at HND airport?

3) Going back through HND Security/Passport Control. Assuming I go outside the airport, will HND Security accept an online boarding pass (on my mobile)? Or would they need a hard copy boarding pass? At HND, do they have kiosks that can print my boarding pass early (i.e. around 6 pm)? Or do I need to wait until the United desk is manned (around 3-4 hours before the flight)?

Thanks for any ideas and insight.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I don't know any of the technicalities, but with 18 hours at your disposal, definitely leave the airport and explore Tokyo a bit, even if it's just to take the monorail to Hamamatsu-cho and do a circuit of the inner city on the Yamanote Line.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting : NRT->HND
  • The airline on which you are arriving: UA Codeshare (NH Metal)
  • The airline on which you are departing: NH/NH Metal
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 10+ hrs
  • How you are connecting: international to international (Int-Int)
  • Whether you are traveling on: single ticket

Sorry, I have to admit TLDR (OK, I did browse thru a few pages)

I have done NRT->HND in the past but it was always a overnight layover (and it was never a NH->NH metal) I always have the luggage with me.

Just not 100% sure in this case NH->NH Int-Int I will have to pick up my luggage in NRT and re-check at HND.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting : NRT->HND
  • The airline on which you are arriving: UA Codeshare (NH Metal)
  • The airline on which you are departing: NH/NH Metal
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 10+ hrs
  • How you are connecting: international to international (Int-Int)
  • Whether you are traveling on: single ticket

Sorry, I have to admit TLDR (OK, I did browse thru a few pages)

I have done NRT->HND in the past but it was always a overnight layover (and it was never a NH->NH metal) I always have the luggage with me.

Just not 100% sure in this case NH->NH Int-Int I will have to pick up my luggage in NRT and re-check at HND.

Thanks.
You always have to carry your own luggage between NRT and HND (and vice versa) and re-check. No exceptions.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yea, looks like your choice will be taking a bus from Haneda International Terminal to Keisei Funabashi station or Keisei Tsudanuma station. From there take Keisei line to Narita (city station). From Keisei Narita station it will be taxi to Hilton Narita. You will arrive at Keisei Narita around 12:20 midnight. You will likely checking in at Hilton Narita past 12:30 midnight.

What time is departure of your ORD flight from NRT? I agree that maybe better off getting a hotel around HND and head to NRT next morning.
Thanks for the replies to all of you.

I was afraid that there would be limited options available to me. My flight is the 11:10 JL flight to ORD (JL 10), so it's not dire that I make it out to Narita that night, but I've got a value dilemma. I have points for Hilton and IHG at my disposal, and nothing is available in the city center that night (28/06) for less than 50,000 points per night (the Intercontinentals and the Hilton Tokyo). I was able to secure a night at the Hilton Narita for 20,000 points. I'd gladly pay more if I had time to actually enjoy the time spent at the hotel, but since I'm arriving late and leaving early, value is also important.

It seems like a pain to get out there, and a two-hour trek isn't exactly ideal, but it may be what has to happen.

At least there is a train option available.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
FYI - Late night taxi fare from Narita City to the Narita Hilton may be upwards of 2,500 yen.
I'd save the HH points and go for a cheap hotel somewhere, but YMMV.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by PBAudit
Since my UA flight isn't for 18+ hours, I'm not sure if they will accept an online boarding pass for the next day (12:30 am).
You will have to enquire at HKG when you get checked in. They will be able to tell you if they can issue the boarding pass. Just as a data point, I was on the same HND-SFO flight last month, and my inbound airport TPE was unable to issue the boarding pass.

2) Luggage storage. In previous posts, other mention storing luggage at Tokyo train station. Is this the best spot? Are there other spots to store luggage? Can Luggage be stored at HND airport?
There are luggage storage facilities and coin lockers in HND. I'd make use of them and avoid schlepping your bag(s) to Tokyo and back.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
The last time I connected through HND, they needed a boarding pass for the ongoing flight (to go through transit security). Since my UA flight isn't for 18+ hours, I'm not sure if they will accept an online boarding pass for the next day (12:30 am).
All you need is a printed itinerary showing that you are flying out of HND internationally to go through the transit security. There are many passengers transiting between non-alliance airlines and did not have a boarding pass for transit flight issued at the origin airport.

However, I think 18 hrs. is very long time to spend at transit area. Yes, there is a transit hotel where you can get some sleep but still it is 18 hrs. If I were you, I will make going through immigration, leave the airport and spend some time in the city as Plan A. There are many hotels in Tokyo which have days use rate where you can rest and take a nap during your 18 hrs. transit.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:34 am

Thank you for the information I have read on this forum.
My wife and I will be arriving at HND at 1010 hrs Saturday 13 July from Munich on LH and will be departing NRT for Australia at 2020 hours that day on Qantas.
We would like to train it to downtown Tokyo , leave our baggage in a locker at the station and go for a walk , have lunch and come back ( if not lost) and catch the Narita Express to Narita.
Could anyone suggest a Tokyo station that does not involve too many rail transfers to from HND and NRT, is close to interesting sites and allows for baggage storage?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ozflier
Thank you for the information I have read on this forum.
My wife and I will be arriving at HND at 1010 hrs Saturday 13 July from Munich on LH and will be departing NRT for Australia at 2020 hours that day on Qantas.
We would like to train it to downtown Tokyo , leave our baggage in a locker at the station and go for a walk , have lunch and come back ( if not lost) and catch the Narita Express to Narita.
Could anyone suggest a Tokyo station that does not involve too many rail transfers to from HND and NRT, is close to interesting sites and allows for baggage storage?
Tokyo Station could a good place, as it also a departure point for NRT. It requires one change from HND. The drawback is that it is massive and confusing if it is the first time you are in Tokyo. With the right maps downloaded it can be navigated, and there is luggage storage. It will allow you to take a walk in the park around the imperial palace, Ginza and Marunouchi gives good options for lunch, and getting a bit of a flair for Tokyo.

Uneo is another option. It can be reached directly from Haneda. I am not sure about luggage storage, but I am fairly confident it is there. Ueno Park, and a lot of good (more low key) food options as well. The Keisei Skyliner will bring you to Narita.

Hamamatsucho where the monorail comes in has a couple of nice gardens around. But I am less certain about the luggage storage. And you would easily end up back tracking to get your luggage as the area is not going to fill all of the time.

PS prepare light clothing for the day, and a change before the next flight. Tokyo will be very hot and very humid in July.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Uneo is another option. It can be reached directly from Haneda. I am not sure about luggage storage, but I am fairly confident it is there. Ueno Park, and a lot of good (more low key) food options as well. The Keisei Skyliner will bring you to Narita.
I agree that Ueno is a good option, although you can't get there directly from HND. You'd have to first go to either Shinagawa (Keikyu) or Hamamatsucho (monorail) and then change to Yamanote line. Ueno is a great option, because the park and Ameyokocho are good places for a stroll, and there's some decent shopping, and a lot of good food. Very easy to get to NRT from there via Skyliner.

Another option is Asakusa... probably the most interesting touristy area you can get to by direct train from both HND and NRT. But that direct train is a regular commuter train, rather than a limited express like the Skyliner, so keep that in mind.

Every station in Tokyo has coin lockers of varying sizes, and I know Ueno's got lots of big ones for putting in suitcases. Nonetheless, the large suitcase-size lockers are always at a premium. It's not unusual to go to Shinjuku or Tokyo Sta to find that every large locker is taken. Tokyo Station additionally does have a cloak (where they'll accept your stuff at the counter for storage). I'm not sure about Ueno or Asakusa.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Just some quick additional info that may be of interest - the JR East app offers information on locker location and availability for major stations on its network (Ueno, Shinjuku, Tokyo etc), which may be of use as you ponder which station to visit
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:38 am

The airport(s) at which you are transiting - HND
The airline on which you are arriving - Singapore Airlines (International)
The airline on which you are departing - SkyMark (Domestic)
Your connection time in hours/minutes - 2 hours 40 minutes
How you are connecting - International to domestic (Int-Dom)
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets - Separate Tickets

I have not booked my Skymark tickets but am planning an international-domestic connection. My SQ flight arrives at 1605h, while I am looking at the flight to CTS which departs at 1845h.

Is this a doable transfer? I'll be travelling with my almost 2-year-old too. What is the minimum international to domestic connection time? THanks!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SQ319
The airport(s) at which you are transiting - HND
The airline on which you are arriving - Singapore Airlines (International)
The airline on which you are departing - SkyMark (Domestic)
Your connection time in hours/minutes - 2 hours 40 minutes
How you are connecting - International to domestic (Int-Dom)
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets - Separate Tickets

I have not booked my Skymark tickets but am planning an international-domestic connection. My SQ flight arrives at 1605h, while I am looking at the flight to CTS which departs at 1845h.

Is this a doable transfer? I'll be travelling with my almost 2-year-old too. What is the minimum international to domestic connection time? THanks!
It is possible that minimum connection time between Singapore Airlines and Skymark Airlines at HND is not established. Often minimum connection time is airline specific.

ANA international to ANA domestic minimum connection at HND is 80 minutes. Check-in cut off time for Skymark is 20 minutes before the departure. Free check baggage allowance for Skymark is 20 kg per passenger.

Your situation, you will have 2 hrs. and 20 minutes from arrival of your SQ flight to check–in counter at Skymark.

You will have 2 years old with you. I think you can only determine 2 hrs. and 20 minutes will be enough with 2 years old. You will go through at HND:

• Passport control
• Pick up checked baggage and go through customs
• Come out on arrival area of International Terminal and catch free inter-terminal bus with your luggage and your kid. Bus ride is about 5 – 10 min.
• Arrive at Domestic Terminal 1, I think 2nd bus stop.
• Check-in with Skymark.

I do think 2 hrs. and 20 minutes will be enough.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
It is possible that minimum connection time between Singapore Airlines and Skymark Airlines at HND is not established. Often minimum connection time is airline specific.

ANA international to ANA domestic minimum connection at HND is 80 minutes. Check-in cut off time for Skymark is 20 minutes before the departure. Free check baggage allowance for Skymark is 20 kg per passenger.

Your situation, you will have 2 hrs. and 20 minutes from arrival of your SQ flight to check–in counter at Skymark.

You will have 2 years old with you. I think you can only determine 2 hrs. and 20 minutes will be enough with 2 years old. You will go through at HND:

• Passport control
• Pick up checked baggage and go through customs
• Come out on arrival area of International Terminal and catch free inter-terminal bus with your luggage and your kid. Bus ride is about 5 – 10 min.
• Arrive at Domestic Terminal 1, I think 2nd bus stop.
• Check-in with Skymark.

I do think 2 hrs. and 20 minutes will be enough.
Thanks AlwaysAisle!

I just discovered the ANA Japan AirPass and am considering switching to NH instead (and earn some miles in the process).

If I take the 6pm flight, do u think I can make it? That will means by SQ-NH connection is only 115minutes. Will SQ be willing to check through the baggage to final destination even on 2 separate PNRs?

I'll prob be wearing my boy (in a baby carrier). Stroller will be carried onboard (cabin size), so there is no odd sized baggage to wait for. Just passport control and luggage (assuming not checked through).

I saw that there are 3 options for transfer between international and domestic terminals. Is the inter terminal bus the fastest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.