Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
Airport: NRT
Airline: JAL
Type: Int'l to Int'l
Time: 1 hour
Ticket: single itinerary/record #

JL712 SIN-NRT arrive 16:05

to JL62 NRT-LAX depart 17:05

I assume no problem with connection otherwise JL would not ticket. But more importantly, will I have time to visit the Sakura lounge?
Just came back to update my transit. I had to walk from one side of T2 to the other but still had time to visit Sakura lounge. However, it was pretty crowded and the wait for shower was 2 hours! So I had some tea and snack and spent 20 minutes in the lounge.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
China to USA via HND. Dealing with COVID19 sensitivities...
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting - flying into HND, out from HND
  • The airline on which you are arriving - JAL
  • The airline on which you are departing - AA
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes - 2.5 hrs
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international - (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom) - INT to INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets - Separate: Paid JL ticket, Redeemed AA ticket
Traveling on PRC passport and US PR, no visa for Japan. Is there going to be an issue transiting, checking bags through? Luggage seems ok due to JAL rules: JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Dedicated
China to USA via HND. Dealing with COVID19 sensitivities...
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting - flying into HND, out from HND
  • The airline on which you are arriving - JAL
  • The airline on which you are departing - AA
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes - 2.5 hrs
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international - (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom) - INT to INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets - Separate: Paid JL ticket, Redeemed AA ticket
Traveling on PRC passport and US PR, no visa for Japan. Is there going to be an issue transiting, checking bags through? Luggage seems ok due to JAL rules: JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs
From the basic point of the connection no issues what so ever, neither for you or for checked luggage. China can at times give a lot of ATC delays beyond 2.5 hours, but with all of the traffic that is cut at the moment, I can see that it should be at a high risk.

From the connection in terms of travelling via Japan from China to the US these day, I have no idea how that works and if it requires extra time in the airport or what kind of restrictions are in place otherwise.
Dedicated likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Aeroplan 35K; United Premier Silver, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Hi, long time lurker but first time poster here looking for some advice on a connection.

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT-NRT
The airline on which you are arriving: GK204 (KIX-NRT with JerStar)
The airline on which you are departing: NH 805
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 3h20
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): DOM-INT (T3 - T2)
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: Separate Tickets

We'll only have carry-on luggage and we'll be strictly adhering to JetStar's 7kg weight limit to ensure there is no chance that our bags would be flagged as overweight and checked at the gate. I know there is always a risk with separate tickets and we would prefer to be in NRT a bit earlier, however the earlier option with JetStart would give us a 9 hour layover in NRT. Our next flight is NRT-SFO with JAL at 18:10.

The JetStar KIX-NRT has been no later than 20 minutes over the past 12 days. We've never been to NRT (or Japan) before, do we have sufficient time between flights?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Airlines Diamond, 2 Million Miler; Hilton Diamond Honors; Hertz President's Club
HND Minimum Connection Time (Intl to Intl)

Can anyone comment on minimum time needed for an International to International transit at HND? Coronavirus flight cancellations are making my connection time there tight. Arrival on a Delta flight at 1410 hour and need to connect to Philippines Air with an estimated 50 min of time to make the connection. Same terminal, business class ticket so I should be one of the first to exit the plane, all baggage carry on with me. I'm worried that is too tight but the next best connection is not for many hours and I don't want to spend 10 hours in transit at the airport. What do others that have transited through HND think? Thanks, any experience with this is appreciated!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jho911doc
Can anyone comment on minimum time needed for an International to International transit at HND? Coronavirus flight cancellations are making my connection time there tight. Arrival on a Delta flight at 1410 hour and need to connect to Philippines Air with an estimated 50 min of time to make the connection. Same terminal, business class ticket so I should be one of the first to exit the plane, all baggage carry on with me. I'm worried that is too tight but the next best connection is not for many hours and I don't want to spend 10 hours in transit at the airport. What do others that have transited through HND think? Thanks, any experience with this is appreciated!
Are you on a single ticket? If so, it is certainly doable and there will be staff to assist you. I'd say that the maximum walk to the transit security is 5 to 10 minutes, and then of course same back if you flight is at the gate next door. But as long as they know you are coming (same ticket) that would be fine. If you are on separate tickets, it is a highly risky connection.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Airlines Diamond, 2 Million Miler; Hilton Diamond Honors; Hertz President's Club
Thanks for the advice. It is 2 separate tickets so the risk is real.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jho911doc
Thanks for the advice. It is 2 separate tickets so the risk is real.
I would not do it, unless your ticket is so flexible you can be a no show and get on the later flight.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:50 pm

Appreciate the advice. I am going to try a different route.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:02 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
This thread is closed indefinitely due to the multitude of new and changing restrictions brought on by the novel Coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit this thread for up-to-date information and discussion: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...s-edition.html

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.