Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Exclamation Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Hello. Thank you in advance for any insight. My wife is trying to reach Kyoto to see her parents in Uji. We live in the States. United has cancelled until early June 2020 the non stop from SFO. So no matter what she must arrive into NRT from SFO. She says that upon arrival into NRT and testing negative she can not use public transportation then arriving at parents must self quarantine for 14 days. Is this all correct? So that lead us to look for "non public" transportation options to Kyoto. We got a quote from a taxi operator which operates two "Covid" friendly cars for $5000 USD one-way. Then found one for $3000 USD. Questions are- Can she once testing negative at NRT then take a flight to ITM or KIX then use public transport to reach parents home? Any cheaper known options to reach Kyoto from NRT? Is there indeed at 14 day stay at home quarantine in place for Japanese nationals arriving from the States? Any other items appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:18 pm

As far as I understand, yes she will need to self-quarantine with no public transport for 14days, domestic transit is considered public transport (that’s what ANA website says), rules are the same at NRT and KIX, she still has to quarantine even after negative result.

Reguilar taxis are considered public transport, but I wasn’t aware of “Covid friendly taxis.” Best option for Jpn nationals returning from USA and Europe is to get picked up by family even if it involves a long drive, although I know that’s not feasible for some. Good luck!

Eta:
official info in Japanese
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/10900000/000618977.pdf

Last edited by evergrn; May 1, 2020 at 3:29 pm Reason: Added link
Old May 1, 2020, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. A friend has offered for KIX but NRT is just too far away to impose. Does anybody know what happens if a person tests positive?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. A friend has offered for KIX but NRT is just too far away to impose. Does anybody know what happens if a person tests positive?
I presume that you are then placed in the normal Covid treatment protocol where you’re either sent to a Covid patient holding hotel (if no/minimal symptoms) or hospital (if significantly symptomatic).

Once she tests negative, another option is rental car although I heard that those are harder to get at the airport locations now.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Fourteen days in a covid hotel. Yikes.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:57 pm

Let’s hope she’s negative as expected.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I believe she can quarantine for 14 days in Tokyo and then take public transportation to Kyoto after those 14 days. Not sure where though.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Well. For at least now the big scare is over. A patient in the facility her mother visits tested negative after being hospitalized with pneumonia. Still no easy solution on arrival into NRT. Thank you all.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I believe she can quarantine for 14 days in Tokyo and then take public transportation to Kyoto after those 14 days. Not sure where though.
Yes of course.

I guess these are the hotels where NRT returnees can get to (after testing negative) using special bus service not considered public transport.

https://www.nl.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100029725.pdf
Old May 1, 2020, 11:02 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
On Sundays there are flights to ICN with Asiana, with a possible connection to KIX. (Wednesdays too but with a day layover in Seoul).
I'm not sure what the arrangements are for transit at ICN - I expect someone on the Korea discussion board can tell you if that's viable or not.

Old May 1, 2020, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
KIX is still open. Why not figure out a way to fly there?
Old May 2, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: Delta
I agree that KIX would be much easier, if you can get there. On the other hand, looking at the airport homepage for today's flights, all but two (one from Seoul, one from Taipei) are cancelled.

If someone arrived at NRT or HND, how would they be stopped from taking public transportation? Are they just requested not to? How is that enforced? Can only employees take transportation to and from the airport?
Old May 2, 2020, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
I agree that KIX would be much easier, if you can get there. On the other hand, looking at the airport homepage for today's flights, all but two (one from Seoul, one from Taipei) are cancelled.

If someone arrived at NRT or HND, how would they be stopped from taking public transportation? Are they just requested not to? How is that enforced? Can only employees take transportation to and from the airport?
I believe you can’t transit via TPE at this time. Who knows when that’ll be lifted. Maybe Korea is an option, but I don’t know.

Technically, not being able to take public transport or having to quarantine for 2wks is a request and not enforceable under penalty of law (at least that’s my understanding). I’m curious to see how tightly that is being enforced, but I bet 95% of people are compliant and those who aren’t are kind of selfish.
Old May 2, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by evergrn
Technically, not being able to take public transport or having to quarantine for 2wks is a request and not enforceable under penalty of law (at least that’s my understanding). I’m curious to see how tightly that is being enforced, but I bet 95% of people are compliant and those who aren’t are kind of selfish.
Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done, maybe not talked about.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:33 am
Original Poster

I would like her to fly from the States directly to KIX. It looks like there will be a option for Japan Airlines in early June 2020 and maybe Hawaiian from HNL to KIX. But the later is under quarantine with arrivals from mainland. So at this time only leaves via NRT with test then "legal" movement to Kyoto. She has read you are actually followed to your ride to verify non use of public transportation. And lots of things are done in Japan and not talked about. So as of now private car service is the only choice for emergency travel. I did see a KLM flight via AMS into KIX. That is way too much work as she would be travelling under stress. Thank you all again.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.