Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:34 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

This thread is to ask and answer questions about connecting/transiting at airports in Japan as well as to share information. Please note that questions about transport options (whether from airport to city or between airports) should be asked in the relevant thread elsewhere in the Japan forum.

When posting a question or information, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Also, please make use of the wiki to share things like minimum connection times (MCT), missed connections, assistance provided by carriers, etc.

Last edited by armagebedar; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:44 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
1 hr and 25 min Connection at NRT

NRT/NRT
Int/Int, arriving from Busan and leaving to San Diego
JL to JL in biz-class, no checked luggage
Connect time of 1 hr, 25 min
The above connection got tighter from a schedule change, and I think it is 5 minutes under the MCT. Should I ask for the early morning departure from PUS? If I miss the connection, I will be overnighting at a hotel.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Bowgie
NRT/NRT
Int/Int, arriving from Busan and leaving to San Diego
JL to JL in biz-class, no checked luggage
Connect time of 1 hr, 25 min
The above connection got tighter from a schedule change, and I think it is 5 minutes under the MCT. Should I ask for the early morning departure from PUS? If I miss the connection, I will be overnighting at a hotel.
You'll be fine. JL will definitely make sure you successfully connect even if your flight from Busan is very late.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:07 pm

Sufficient int-int connection at Haneda?

Basically: I'll be stopping over in Hong Kong for several days, as a sidetrack from a ongoing Japan trip. I have to fly back to CDG from HND at 0735 on 8/5/13. Therefore, I'm considering booking a flight with HKExpress, which arrives at HND at 0505 on the 8th. This would maximise my time in HK, and work out rather cheaper than flying with ANA/CX/JAL (considerably so.)

However, is a 150 minute connection time sufficient for an international-international transfer at Haneda, barring delays? In relation to that question, are delays from HK to Japanese airports sufficiently common that I should be more conservative and revise my HK-HND connection?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
What airlines are you flying out from HND to CDG? Looking at flight schedules it does not look as AF, JL, or NH. If you are going to have checked baggage then it is important to check if HK Express has an interline agreement with a particular airline you are flying out from HND.

If you are going to have a checked baggage and HK Express does not have an interline agreement with that particular airline then your connection at HND may not work.

It is common for low cost carriers to have very limited interline agreement or not having interline agreement at all.

If you do not have checked baggage then I think connection is doable at HND. Remember, if flight from HKG is delayed and missed connection at HND, under two separate tickets technically airline out of HND is not responsible for you missing the flight due to late arrival from HKG.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tromperie
Basically: I'll be stopping over in Hong Kong for several days, as a sidetrack from a ongoing Japan trip. I have to fly back to CDG from HND at 0735 on 8/5/13. Therefore, I'm considering booking a flight with HKExpress, which arrives at HND at 0505 on the 8th. This would maximise my time in HK, and work out rather cheaper than flying with ANA/CX/JAL (considerably so.)

However, is a 150 minute connection time sufficient for an international-international transfer at Haneda, barring delays? In relation to that question, are delays from HK to Japanese airports sufficiently common that I should be more conservative and revise my HK-HND connection?
150 minutes is at least twice as much time as you need for any international to international connection at HND period. Even if your flight is late, you have to clear immigrations, pick up and re-check your bags this is still a ton of time.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:26 pm

Hello, I am not too sure how exactly baggage transfer applies to ANA.

If I am flying YVR-HND with ANA 115, then after 17 hour layover: HND-DPS with ANA 5477 codeshare Garuda Indonesia will my checked baggage be transferred to my DPS?

On the way back the same applies, it is ANA 5470 Garuda Indonesia DPS–NRT and then ANA 1012 NRT-ORD.

I also have the two flights to YVR at the start and from ORD at the end. But these are with AC and United.

If I purchase all the tickets with ANA(including AC&United) can you tell me how the transfer will work, thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by riverkwai
Hello, I am not too sure how exactly baggage transfer applies to ANA.

If I am flying YVR-HND with ANA 115, then after 17 hour layover: HND-DPS with ANA 5477 codeshare Garuda Indonesia will my checked baggage be transferred to my DPS?

On the way back the same applies, it is ANA 5470 Garuda Indonesia DPS–NRT and then ANA 1012 NRT-ORD.

I also have the two flights to YVR at the start and from ORD at the end. But these are with AC and United.

If I purchase all the tickets with ANA(including AC&United) can you tell me how the transfer will work, thanks.

All the baggage transfers will work perfectly. Just make sure to check them through to the final destination.

Note - You will need have your baggage inspected by customs at ORD and then re-check before connecting on to YVR.... but you can get the bags tagged at DPS all the way through to YVR.
acg2 likes this.

Last edited by 5khours; Apr 16, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:49 pm

I was able to switch it up, now all of the flights will be ANA or ANA code share. Does this mean baggage will certainly be transferred to final destination? I have a 1.5 hour layover at YVR and I hope it is enough time on the outbound trip.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by riverkwai
I was able to switch it up, now all of the flights will be ANA or ANA code share. Does this mean baggage will certainly be transferred to final destination? I have a 1.5 hour layover at YVR and I hope it is enough time on the outbound trip.
Can't answer YVR.

If you come through ORD on the way back, they'll come off on a baggage carousel, you 'll have to run them through customs and then put them back on a conveyor belt to get sent to YVR. (Double check to make sure they are tagged to YVR before you put them back on the conveyor.)
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I question why and how this wiki became a sticky ?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I'm looking at the following itinerary:

NRT/HND
Arrive NH 1450 from HKG
Depart AC 1850 to YYZ
Connecting time 4h
Int-Int
Have 1 checked bag (priority tagged). Travel in C.
Booked on single ticket.

I'm thinking of taking the NRT-HND bus... thoughts please?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Incoming NGO-NRT Domestic to Domestic via ANA connecting to AC at HND-YYZ Domestic to International have Exactly 3 hours late afternoon arrival at NRT. Is this possible to get from NRT to HND. I understand that 3 hours is a "legal connection" Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:15 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Three hours should be fine -- just hop on the bus to HND. I believe it takes about 90 minutes or so.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:37 pm

Effective Thursday, July 31st. Arrived MYJ-HND NH 0582, wheels down HND right on 9.00am. Bags checked through to SIN at MYJ. Transfer at HND from Terminal 2 to International Terminal by free bus, departing NH 0841 HND-SIN at 11.10 (scheduled 11.05). Mediocre experience. International at HND had long queues for security and immigration as well as a paucity of food options airside.
Effective Monday Aug 18. Arrived NRT on NH 0802, wheels down 2.00pm on the dot. Made the 2.40 bus to HND. Arrived HND Terminal 2 at 3.50pm, was eating udon by 4.00pm ready for a 5.15pm NH 595 HND-MYJ. Excellent experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.