Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 7:53 am

Hello, I'll try again with the exact as my first post was totally ignored

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT-NRT
The airline on which you are arriving: UA 79
The airline on which you are departing: NH 805
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 4h25
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): INT-INT to BKK
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: one 016 ticket

Will the checked bags be transferred automatically or do they need to be picked up and re-checked? Is the connection desk to get the NH boarding pass before or after security? I heard they can have quite the problems finding you when booked on the UA codeshare, is there something I should do other that having my ticket no?

When I get off the UA plane, what are the signs I should follow? Is there something that says International connections?

Thank you^
Old May 5, 2015, 9:27 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Caroao
Hello, I'll try again with the exact as my first post was totally ignored

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT-NRT
The airline on which you are arriving: UA 79
The airline on which you are departing: NH 805
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 4h25
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): INT-INT to BKK
Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: one 016 ticket

Will the checked bags be transferred automatically or do they need to be picked up and re-checked? Is the connection desk to get the NH boarding pass before or after security? I heard they can have quite the problems finding you when booked on the UA codeshare, is there something I should do other that having my ticket no?

When I get off the UA plane, what are the signs I should follow? Is there something that says International connections?

Thank you^
Considering that you not only will be connecting in the same terminal (T1) but also connecting to flights that are both in the *A (star alliance), this will be a very simple process.

You should be able to get your boarding pass at your airport of origin, at which point you should also be able to check your bags through to BKK.

There will be signs for international connections too.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA Club
Short Connection at NRT

This is my first post. I could not figure out which forum is the correct place to post - regarding connection at Narita. Please accept my apology if this is the wrong place.

I have 2 tickets connecting in Tokyo next week - SQ 012 arriving at 1730 connecting to OZ 105 departing at 1900. Is 90 minutes enough for the connection? In general, I can check my bags through on SQ departing SIN. However, I was told that interline connection is not possible at NRT, everyone must go through inbound immigration, re-check-in and then, outbound immigration again. I never connect through Narita and is now anxious on missing my connection to Seoul, which is an award ticket and cannot be changed on spot. Can anyone advice on the transit process? Thanks.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 13, 2015 at 6:26 pm Reason: Note: moved from ANA forum
Old May 13, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by shintaenam
This is my first post. I could not figure out which forum is the correct place to post - regarding connection at Narita. Please accept my apology if this is the wrong place.

I have 2 tickets connecting in Tokyo next week - SQ 012 arriving at 1730 connecting to OZ 105 departing at 1900. Is 90 minutes enough for the connection? In general, I can check my bags through on SQ departing SIN. However, I was told that interline connection is not possible at NRT, everyone must go through inbound immigration, re-check-in and then, outbound immigration again. I never connect through Narita and is now anxious on missing my connection to Seoul, which is an award ticket and cannot be changed on spot. Can anyone advice on the transit process? Thanks.
Normally Star Alliance carriers can check luggage through, even on separate tickets. It may take them a bit of time, but just be a bit firm and ask for a supervisor if they say no. (admittedly I have not tried the specific SQ/OZ option) So it should save you the immigration and rechecking of luggage.

That being said, on two different tickets, 90 minutes is a risky connection after a long haul flight. And I would not do it. Generally, Narita is an efficient airport, and if SQ is on time no worries for 90 minutes. But any delay can quickly get you in trouble with the connection, and lose your onward reservation.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
So SQ 12 SIN-NRT on one ticket and then you booked an award flight on a separate ticket for OZ105 NRT-ICN or are you saying that the whole trip is on one award ticket?

In any event I think 90 minutes is plenty fine if everything is on time. Who told you about the transfer processed at NRT, was it a travel agent? SQ-OZ should almost certainly be able to check your bags through even if on another ticket...just have all of the information with the flight info, ticket #, etc for the 2nd flight.
With that being said you should just have to go through transit security at NRT which if it is cutting it close they often have agents with signs with flight #s to expedite people through when it gets close.

If they can't check it all the way through then I think you're out of luck with 90 min to deplane, go through immigration, claim your bag, exit customs, recheck your bag at the OZ counter and go back through security. I'm trying to find it online but I would imagine the baggage cut off time for dropping them off at the OZ counter would be 1 hour before the flight (maybe 45 min).
Old May 13, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA Club
SQ 12 is part of DXB to NRT roundtrip. OZ 105 is part of an Aeroplan award ticket booked by my family. I think SQ can through check my bags in either DXB or SIN, I did it multiple times when transferring to CX, KA, EK, QR, CI and EY, on itineraries involving 2 or even 3 tickets. And, both SQ and OZ are *A, it does not make sense the bags cannot be tagged through.

My friend told me that NRT cancels airside transit since the opening of Terminal 3. All passengers must go through inbound immigration and customs nowadays, whether they are connection to another international flight or not, just like connections in the US. This is my concern.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I rarely listen to friends.

Terminal 3 is for the low cost carriers like Jeju, Jetstar, Vanilla...you won't have anything to do with T3.

You are connecting SQ-OZ in T1 so you'll just go through one of the transit security checks when you deplane.
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid..._inter_t1.html

Out of curiosity I even put it in for T3 INTL Arrival to T1 INTNL Departure and it appears that the terminal shuttle bus is air side secured so you may have another security check but no customs/immigration.
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid..._inter_t3.html
Old May 13, 2015, 6:24 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Moving to the Japan forum.

- armagebedar
ANA forum moderator
Old May 13, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In any event I think 90 minutes is plenty fine if everything is on time. Who told you about the transfer processed at NRT, was it a travel agent? SQ-OZ should almost certainly be able to check your bags through even if on another ticket...just have all of the information with the flight info, ticket #, etc for the 2nd flight.
With that being said you should just have to go through transit security at NRT which if it is cutting it close they often have agents with signs with flight #s to expedite people through when it gets close.
The problem with two tickets will be that SQ will not see in the system that they have passengers with a short connection and therefor not know that they need have to have staff ready with information. It will show as passengers ending their journey in Tokyo. OZ will not see in the system that their passengers are arriving on SQ, and get a notification of the delayed inbound. So it is unliky that there will be staff ready to expidite and help the connection, as the carriers will not know the connection is needed.

The connection will not be protected if you are late, i.e. neither OZ or SQ will have an obligation to rebook you on a later flight.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:43 pm

1hr 25 mins for INT-INT transfer at HND

Here is what I have:
* The airport(s) at which you are transiting: HND
* The airline on which you are arriving: AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur
* The airline on which you are departing: Hawaiian Airlines to Honolulu
* Your connection time: 1hr 25 mins (arrival at 10:30pm, departure at 11:55pm)
* How you are connecting: Int-Int
* Separately booked tickets

I'll be traveling with carry-on luggage only; aware of INT-INT map but would want to know what you guys think about the transfer.

If my AirAsia flight is late how screwed am I? What are my changes with Hawaiian in this case?
Old May 14, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by day21
Here is what I have:
* The airport(s) at which you are transiting: HND
* The airline on which you are arriving: AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur
* The airline on which you are departing: Hawaiian Airlines to Honolulu
* Your connection time: 1hr 25 mins (arrival at 10:30pm, departure at 11:55pm)
* How you are connecting: Int-Int
* Separately booked tickets

I'll be traveling with carry-on luggage only; aware of INT-INT map but would want to know what you guys think about the transfer.

If my AirAsia flight is late how screwed am I? What are my changes with Hawaiian in this case?
You are traveling on two separate tickets, strictly speaking from the ticket rules Hawaiian Airlines has no responsibility what so ever if you missed your flight due to late arrival of AirAsia flight. Same thing for responsibility of AirAsia, AirAsia has no responsibility regarding you missing Hawaiian Airlines flight due to late arrival of AirAsia flight into Haneda.

In regard to how much Hawaiian can help you if you missed the flight at Haneda, it depends on the fare you paid. However, Hawaiian Airlines flight is the last flight to Honolulu, even if you have expensive full economy fare with fully flexible fare rule, there just is no flight to Honolulu till next day.

Haneda International terminal is open 24 hrs., so you will able to stay at transit/departure area of the terminal without going through passport control and enter Japan. However, there are only three flights to Honolulu from Haneda, departure time of those flights are 10:55 p.m. (NH 186), 11:40 p.m. (JL 80), and 11:55 p.m. (HA 458).

If you miss Hawaiian Airline flight at Haneda, then for sure you will be stuck at Haneda for 24 hrs. I am not sure if there is any way to get to Honolulu earlier even if you are willing to pay last minute expensive tickets on other airlines.

Also, check-in cut off of Hawaiian Airlines is 60 minutes for international flights. If your connection at Haneda is only 1 hr. and 25 min. then you should do online check-in for Hawaiian flight before departing Kuala Lumpur.

If your AirAsia flight arrive at Haneda on time then you should have no problem connecting to Hawaiian Airlines flight.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:54 am

Thanks for the informative answer, AlwaysAisle!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:56 pm

Help!

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: SFO>HND
The airline on which you are arriving: JAL
The airline on which you are departing: JAL
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 13h
How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): SFO>HND, 13 hour layover, then NRT>BKK

Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: one AA award ticket.

Since I have to transfer my bags myself, and I have a 13 hour layover, what's the best option?

Should I:
1. leave my bags at HND anc come back later
2. bring my bags with me everywhere I go
3. go from HND to NRT and check my bags, then do as I please from there?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pushthelimit; Aug 10, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Should I:

Thanks in advance.
Do 1. if you plan to tour around Tokyo before your flight out of NRT.

I will not do 2. Even if the situation is with only small carry on, it is no fun carrying luggage around for 13 hrs.

Do 3. if you plan to tour around Narita before your flight out of NRT.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushthelimit

Should I:

Thanks in advance.
1. Don't store your bags at Haneda, it will mean quite a bit of backtracking before going to Narita.
2. That is pretty cumbersome, and Tokyo subways and trains does offer a lot of stairs and escalators.
3. If you just plan to take a day room somewhere, you might as well do it in Narita.

If you plan some Tokyo sightseeing and maybe getting a bite of food, I would store the luggage at Tokyo station and take the Narita express to the airport when done. Tokyo station is fairly good base for starting a bit of Tokyo exploring. The train takes slightly less then an hour to the airport. Tokyo station is fairly big, and maybe slightly confusing, the homepage does have maps showing the location of the luggage storage option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.