Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
5th floor is landside (i.e. on the other side of immigration and customs).

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/map/index_t1.html
Thanks!

That's unfortunate. Probably can't make it in 2 hours.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by br2k
Probably can't make it in 2 hours.
It's a decision you could make on the day - If the line at immigration is very short you could just about "make it" with enough time to have a bite to eat, I guess, but I wouldn't bother.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Hi all,

I am going to be arriving back in to Japan with Mrs Mrploddy from HNL on DL579 in to Terminal 1 at 4pm (at gate)

We need to make a domestic connection back to Shikoku.

Note -
1) Both of us are entitled to use e-Gates as long as we register on the way out
2) We will have baggage (unfortunately not hand baggage only )
3) DL579 has a average delay of 14 mins according to Flight stats.

Option 1 - Jetstar Japan from Terminal 3 with a 17:50 departure with a 17:20 cut off for baggage drop off

Eg Wh(Y) class plane door to Terminal 3 from Terminal 1 (500+ M walk) in 1 hour 20 mins with bag collection

Option 2 - Get a bus from Terminal 1 over to HND (approx 1 hour 10 mins journey time according to recent stats) for 19:25 JAL departure

Option 3 - Night bus at 8 - 9pm gettig back at 7 - 8am the following day

My spidey sense says that Option 1 is a no-goer - if everything is 100% smooth it will work out but if there is a delay in bags or our bag is the last one out or the e-gates are not working and we come in behind the ANA plane we're going to be screwed clearing immigration customs etc and getting over to Terminal 3 i time.

At the minute the "safest" option would appear to be Option 2 ?

Thoughts anyone ?

Thanks

-mrploddy
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by mrploddy
Thoughts anyone ?
Option 1 + a good insurance policy.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:22 am

How long should I assume for NRT T1 immigration / baggage if we're registered for e-gates ?

I've always worked on the assumption of 1 hour to 1.5 hours to get landside from plane door to arrivals lobby hence why it scares me a bit.

I've always read here to leave plenty of connection time when it's separate tickets and Jetstars policy seems pretty strict that if you're late theres no refunds :-/
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:23 am

Oh I should also mention the 17:50 is the last departure for the night to our home airport so if we were a bit delayed we'd be stranded at Narita hence my concern :/
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:16 am

update

so i wanted to let you all know how this worked out. We got lucky on all fronts (got on the first shuttle from landing spot to arrival gate, we did NOT check any bags, so straight from a not very crowded customs and immigration area to an also not very crowded security screening, then got on what i can only guess was the last shuttle to where our plane was staged) .

We boarded the plane about 10 minutes before doors closed. I'm pretty confident we would not have made it if we had checked any luggage (Though we definitely checked two bags full of omiyage on the way back).

Also, i was relieved to know that when i booked this itinerary, we had a 2+ hour layover but, due to various schedule changes over the 7 months or so from booking to takeoff, that time shrunk to 55 minutes. The ground agents were ready in Narita and i saw them helping to expedite other flyers to various places.

I would definitely not recommend booking such a short layover but if the airlines changes your times around like how they did ours, hope is not lost!

Thanks for all the help

Originally Posted by cheehoo
longtime reader, first-time poster. this ticket has already been booked using points (it was the best I could get at the time), so i'm mostly interested in how bad off (or not!) I am. also, I can make necessary adjustments, for example not checking a bag, etc.

Last edited by armagebedar; Apr 2, 2015 at 9:33 pm Reason: long quote
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by jib71
It's a decision you could make on the day - If the line at immigration is very short you could just about "make it" with enough time to have a bite to eat, I guess, but I wouldn't bother.
I have another much longer (6+ hours) connection at NRT coming up. If I decide to go through security and to departures area to use the lounge (shower) first, would I then be able to get from there back to customs to exit the airport (go visit Narita may be)?
Or would I get stuck in departures area without a way out to customs? (In the latter case, I'd rather skip the lounge of course)
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by br2k
Or would I get stuck in departures area without a way out to customs?
I've seen reports of both - people who say they were allowed to go from the departures area through immigration into Japan and people who seem to have been very strongly discouraged from attempting this.

There must be a route for allowing people in the departures area to enter Japan - it would be a necessity in the event of a cancelled flight. But perhaps the powers that be would like this procedure to be used in exceptional circumstances only. I really don't know ... If you try it, please report your findings here.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:07 pm

Does anyone know if 1.5hr is enough time for a Intl/Intl connection at NRT? I have a flight on CX arriving at 03:55 pm to a JL flight departing at 05:25 pm. This is all on one ticket and I would hate to miss the JL flight and get rebooked to AA. The itinerary is HKG-NRT-LAX.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by krayvi
Does anyone know if 1.5hr is enough time for a Intl/Intl connection at NRT? I have a flight on CX arriving at 03:55 pm to a JL flight departing at 05:25 pm. This is all on one ticket and I would hate to miss the JL flight and get rebooked to AA. The itinerary is HKG-NRT-LAX.
I had an intl to intl connection at NRT of less than 1.5 hours just recently. Was not a problem. Had enough time to walk in a wrong direction , pick up boarding pass at transfer desk (resolve an issue with rebooked ticket), and even hang at the lounge for a bit.

I suppose this hinges on how long transit security takes, but a few times I was there, there was no line and I essentially walked right through.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
I just got a schedule change and need advice. Is 1 hours and 15 minutes enough time? I will only have carry on luggage.

NH 2154 operating by ANA wings, depart CTS 205 pm arrive NRT 345 pm
UA 33 departs NRT 500 pm to LAX
DOM-INT

This is on a single ticket

This will be on a Sunday afternoon in May
I am bumping my post as I have not received a response since my original post on March 21. Mods: please forgive me if I am breaking any rules. I just want an answer to my question.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:20 pm

Hello -
I am arriving to NRT at 2:10PM Sunday (Delta T1) and connecting on a domestic 6:40pm ANA flight (T1). I bought the tickets separately and not planning to check baggage.

Is it possible to leave T1 and go to T2 to access the Admirals Club Lounge for a few hours and then make it back to T1? I assume getting to T1 is no issue since I have a ticket but will they let me enter T2?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:07 pm

EDIT - I missed the bit where the OP wrote "domestic"
Always Aisle has provided the right answer below.

Last edited by jib71; Apr 12, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pdawg555
Hello -
I am arriving to NRT at 2:10PM Sunday (Delta T1) and connecting on a domestic 6:40pm ANA flight (T1). I bought the tickets separately and not planning to check baggage.

Is it possible to leave T1 and go to T2 to access the Admirals Club Lounge for a few hours and then make it back to T1? I assume getting to T1 is no issue since I have a ticket but will they let me enter T2?

Thanks!
Quick answer is no. You are connecting to domestic ANA flight at NRT means you will clear passport control and customs at NRT and you will come out on the land side of the Terminal 1 at NRT after the arrival from your DL flight.

To access the Admirals Club at Terminal 2 you need to clear the security and the departure passport control at Terminal 2. You can only do that only if you are departing international from Terminal 2 that specific day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.