Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:27 am

I guess I'll figure it out in the morning, but I'm taking the train to FCO, which drops you near T3. How do I get from the train station to T5?

Thanks in advance.

-David
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
There's a shuttle bus outside the T3 terminal. The same bus which runs to long term parking. It stops at T5. Just ask the driver, as I'm not sure all these buses do transit for T5 as some are fast service straight to to parkings.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:10 am

If you follow the signs to T5 the sign pointing to the left at the bottom of the escalator really means to make a U turn. The shuttle bus stop is at the head end of T3. The map showed 1 stop before T5 but it was the first stop.

I took a 6:20 Leonardo Express and I was through security and immigration and on the shuttle bus to G at 7:35. There were not really any long lines at that hour and I had my BP

Thanks,
-David
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:11 am

ROME (FCO) Check In Advice

I am traveling FCO - EWR on UA economy.
Departure is scheduled for 9:50AM, advice please on how far in advance I should arrive at airport for check in.

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
We are flying to Rome from Toronto on Thursday - currently flight is at 6:50 p.m.. We plan to check-in on line and hope one of us is not pre-selected for additional screening (it happens a lot and you can't check-in) - and there is noting suspicious about either of us. Can you check-in line?

Even if we are successful in checking in on-line Wed. night we still plan to be at Pearson at least 3 hours before the flight - we will be checking luggage. Toronto does not have a train to the airport and all it would take would be one accident (and then there is the highway construction) - and rush hour. I have seen the horrors of traffic to the airport when on a return flight.

I think you might be in the rush hour predicament for the morning flight as well, depending on how far a trip it is to the airport. In our case, there is only one direct flight a day to Rome and it is pretty full. I do not want either of us to be sent via Montreal because Montreal to Rome has been Rouged.

Some people like to cut it really close - but there are conditions beyond your control. So if you can get there early - then that will be one less worry.

For your return trip, remember to allow extra time for the T5 terminal - plus checking in at the Rome airport can be pretty mind boggling on its own.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I would show up at T5 not before 7AM.
Never had massive lines in front of me and screening were nothing to be shocked about.
Now, with the usual summer terror wave about security tightening, I'd probably give additional 15 min. leeway.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I'd try to be at T-5 no later than 7:30 am.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We flew the FCO IAD flight yesterday, which departed at 1050A. We arrived at T5 around 915A. The first check-in station was empty (you show your passport and collect the plastic bag for your electronics), and second check-in station was pretty quiet (at least the 1K line) - just one group ahead of us.

There is a separate line for Business security, but even the non business lines moved pretty quickly, and from my observation, no electronics were checked, and most of the x-ray observers were not exactly paying attention. The only line up was for passport control, but it moved quickly.

Pre boarding secondary inspection was random, not pre-determined at check-in.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I flew out early July, FCO-JFK for the morning flight. The departing terminal reminded me of a huge warehouse with makeshift check-in counters. Sort of reminded me also of a cruise terminal.

We were able to use the AA priority check-in. It went rather quickly. Next up was security, also had priority line however, the regular line wasn't bad either. Then passport control and onto the shuttle bus. At first I thought, OMG, no shopping? But was happy to get to the main terminal with all the shops/restaurants, etc.

Personally I wasn't impressed at all with the VIP shared lounge.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
It's a pain but the last time I dropped a rental at FCO, I drove to T5 to drop bags, my wife waited while I returned the rental car and then hopped a bus back to T5. It was a pain and the buses are infrequent but it works.

T5 security is significant - while I don't know for a fact, it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't exactly make it easy to go airside elsewhere and then do an airside transfer to T5.
This is what I was planning on doing, figuring it would be easier to navigate the shuttle from rental car return to T5 without bags. Any other or better suggestions?

Any issues now with driving up to T5 to drop passengers - seems like they may have really changed traffic flow recently to the other terminals and cars can no longer do drop offs (at least from what I read on the airport website but it was difficult to follow).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Family Traveler
It's a pain but the last time I dropped a rental at FCO, I drove to T5 to drop bags, my wife waited while I returned the rental car and then hopped a bus back to T5. It was a pain and the buses are infrequent but it works.

T5 security is significant - while I don't know for a fact, it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't exactly make it easy to go airside elsewhere and then do an airside transfer to T5.
This is what I was planning on doing, figuring it would be easier to navigate the shuttle from rental car return to T5 without bags. Any other or better suggestions?

Any issues now with driving up to T5 to drop passengers - seems like they may have really changed traffic flow recently to the other terminals and cars can no longer do drop offs (at least from what I read on the airport website but it was difficult to follow).
When I last did it, there were also signs to say no parking but I did long enough to check bags and get my wife settled. I did talk to the security people that were watching and they tolerated my parking but this could be a YMMV thing. If you pack light, you could do the bus from the car rental with luggage but I was packed for a two week trip with my wife so that wasn't my profile.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:21 am

I wanted to follow up with my experience last week. This is how we did it....

We got to the airport about 2.5 hours early and we went right to terminal 5. There were two rows of parking spots and I may have misread the signs but it seemed legal to park there for a short time. People were coming and going and so shortly a space opened up. After parking we took our bags in, through initial security check and then checked in at the AA counter. Decent line, though better for the priority line by quite a bit. Took us about 10-12 minutes for security screening but would have been more like 30 min or longer in the regular line. Check in had no line (I guess because the line really forms at the security check out front) and so we were checked in and without the bags in about 30 min after pulling into the parking spot.

Free of the bags, my wife sat down with our carry-ons and I headed back to the car - need to be sure to have both your passport and boarding pass to be able to get back through the initial security screen. Took about 10 minutes or so to drive to parking B and up to the 4th level to Europcar's return. Check-in took about 10 minutes because there were two people in front of me and one check in guy.

Next, had to walk through to terminal 3 out on the curb for the shuttle bus to terminal 5. I considered it a decent walk without bags - long walk, hard to estimate but maybe 500 yards or more. The bus was there - somewhat tight bus with people and bags - so it was about 20 between the rental car counter and the bus pulling away. Maybe a 5 minute or so ride to terminal 5. Then back through initial security which was quick.

Next, went through primary security - nice there was a Priority Line. Line wasn't too long and so were through security and passport control in 10 or so minutes. On to the shuttle bus and back over to the other terminals. Arrived at our gate a few minutes after they started to call for boarding which was maybe 45 min before departure time. So even though each part of the process seemed to go smoothly and we arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs early, the plane was boarding as we got to the gate. In the future I would have given it more time - maybe another 20-30 minutes in case lines were longer at each step.

Bottom line is that if we returned the car first it would have been a long and difficult haul (we had two decent size checked bags, a wine carrier checked bag and two carry-ons) to get from the car return to terminal 5 given the length of the walk to the shuttle and the tight bus. I bet getting to terminal 5 would have taken an extra 15-20 minutes or more as we might have had to wait for the next bus and would have been tiring (and it was only about 80 degrees - I could only imagine it is was really hot). Unless I somehow misread the ability to park at terminal 5, parking there and at least leaving your bags, if not fully checking in, pre-rental car return is an absolute must.

Also, particularly if you do not have status or are flying business/first, I think 3hrs or so pre-flight time is a must and maybe even a bit longer.

Last edited by Family Traveler; Aug 4, 2014 at 6:47 am
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:45 am

I just posted the below on a different thread where I had been asking some questions but figured it is worth copying here in the event people are looking later. My answer to how far in advance depends on whether you are returning a rental car. If yes, I would say 3hrs to 3.5hrs (or longer if you want time in the airline club or for shopping) and if not then perhaps around 2.5hrs give or take.
---------

I wanted to follow up with my experience last week. This is how we did it with a rental car return.

We got to the airport about 2.5 hours early and we went right to terminal 5. There were two rows of parking spots and I may have misread the signs but it seemed legal to park there for a short time. People were coming and going and so shortly a space opened up. After parking we took our bags in, through initial security check and then checked in at the AA counter. Decent line, though better for the priority line by quite a bit. Took us about 10-12 minutes for security screening but would have been more like 30 min or longer in the regular line. Check in had no line (I guess because the line really forms at the security check out front) and so we were checked in and without the bags in about 30 min after pulling into the parking spot.

Free of the bags, my wife sat down with our carry-ons and I headed back to the car - need to be sure to have both your passport and boarding pass to be able to get back through the initial security screen. Took about 10 minutes or so to drive to parking B and up to the 4th level to Europcar's return. Check-in took about 10 minutes because there were two people in front of me and one check in guy.

Next, had to walk through to terminal 3 out on the curb for the shuttle bus to terminal 5. I considered it a decent walk without bags - long walk, hard to estimate but maybe 500 yards or more. The bus was there - somewhat tight bus with people and bags - so it was about 20 between the rental car counter and the bus pulling away. Maybe a 5 minute or so ride to terminal 5. Then back through initial security which was quick.

Next, went through primary security - nice there was a Priority Line. Line wasn't too long and so were through security and passport control in 10 or so minutes. On to the shuttle bus and back over to the other terminals. Arrived at our gate a few minutes after they started to call for boarding which was maybe 45 min before departure time. So even though each part of the process seemed to go smoothly and we arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs early, the plane was boarding as we got to the gate. In the future I would have given it more time - maybe another 20-30 minutes in case lines were longer at each step.

Bottom line is that if we returned the car first it would have been a long and difficult haul (we had two decent size checked bags, a wine carrier checked bag and two carry-ons) to get from the car return to terminal 5 given the length of the walk to the shuttle and the tight bus. I bet getting to terminal 5 would have taken an extra 15-20 minutes or more as we might have had to wait for the next bus and would have been tiring (and it was only about 80 degrees - I could only imagine it is was really hot). Unless I somehow misread the ability to park at terminal 5, parking there and at least leaving your bags, if not fully checking in, pre-rental car return is an absolute must.

Also, particularly if you do not have status or are flying business/first, I think 3hrs or so pre-flight time is a must and maybe even a bit longer.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Added Perspective: This was the exact approach I took at FCO. The shuttle bus being there when Family Traveler arrived was good fortune. I (and some other people) waited for 20+ minutes for the shuttle bus to arrive. My wife was sweating it out waiting with our carry-on (she did have a nice conversation with a couple while she was waiting).

For an early flight out of T5, I would probably drop off the day before in the city and just take a taxi to the airport.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:48 pm

Added Perspective: This was the exact approach I took at FCO. The shuttle bus being there when Family Traveler arrived was good fortune. I (and some other people) waited for 20+ minutes for the shuttle bus to arrive. My wife was sweating it out waiting with our carry-on (she did have a nice conversation with a couple while she was waiting).

For an early flight out of T5, I would probably drop off the day before in the city and just take a taxi to the airport.
Interesting that you waited so long for the next shuttle. They have an electronic sign at the shuttle stop and when my bus pulled away it was showing about 3 minutes until the next bus arrived (and I waited on my bus for about 5 minutes until it pulled away but don't know how long it was there). I guess I got lucky and so another reason to get there with plenty of time in advance.

We weren't staying in Rome the night before (I would not keep a car in Rome) but instead since we were coming down from Florence, we stayed over night just to the north right on the water in Ladispoli, about 25 minutes to get to the airport in the morning. Beautiful property called La Posta Vecchia - pretty pricey but better than overnighting at a crummy airport hotel for the last night of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.