Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:02 am

Connecting at FCO Rome Airport

hi

I Coming back on april from new York to my country with a connection flight of Alitalia in in fco air port
The plane landed in terminal 3 and depart from terminal 1
Can anyone tell me how do I do the transit in the airport?
Do I have to go throw the border inspection?
How do I pass from terminal 3 to 1 ? Inside the building or do I have to go outside terminal 3 and go inside again to termina 1?
thanks
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
conaction flight in fco rome airport

http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en-/pax-fco-flight-connections
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Let's see if you can get more helpful feedback here in the Italy destination forum.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by avi1231
I Coming back on april from new York to my country with a connection flight of Alitalia in in fco air port
The plane landed in terminal 3 and depart from terminal 1
Can anyone tell me how do I do the transit in the airport?
Do I have to go throw the border inspection?
How do I pass from terminal 3 to 1 ? Inside the building or do I have to go outside terminal 3 and go inside again to termina 1?
thanks
Since the AdR site doesn't say much, here is a summary:

1) Immigration is a must. If you're Italian, this should be rather fast. Choose to go through "connecting flights", that should bring you upstairs, and then, after immigration, you just do the long walk to Terminal 1 (~20 min.). No need to go through security again.

2) Alternatively, you walk through customs, exit the airport and do the walk from outside. In this case you have to go through security again in Terminal 1.

All in all, with busing or train, and immigration, and walk, and a coffee, calculate ~30-40 min. from plane to gate.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: BA
FCO: 1 hour international to international transit. Is this enough?

Alitalia have some mega cheap tickets to tokyo at the moment, all with stop overs in rome or milan. they are selling some tickets with just 1hr transfer time and I thought this was way too short??? anyone have any experience transferring at FIU - is this enough time?

LCY10:50,- London City Airport
Fiu Terminal 3 14:20 - Leonardo da Vinci
Flying Time 02hrs 30mins

Connection Time 01hrs 00mins
AircraftBoeing 777-200
Fiu Terminal 3 15:20Rome - Leonardo da Vinci
NRT Terminal 1 10:30Tokyo - Narita Airport
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think you mean FCO.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think you mean FCO - Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci di Fiumicino, no? there is no airport coded "FIU".

I've requested a moderator amend your thread title.

Other useful information for members here to help might include which airlines you will be flying on, flight numbers and whether the flights are on one PNR or separately ticketed, as that might indicate what the possibilities for re accommodation in case you miss your connecting flight. But in my experiences with FCO and its ground staff and procedures, and given you'll have to process formalities, not to mention disembarking and boarding, IMO one hour would be foolhardy.

You can read the FCO website (Italian or English), but it's not the best site to get help: http://www.adr.it/fiumicino or http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...-fco-fiumicino (other languages selectable). Everything it has on connections:

Transfer passengers at "Leonardo da Vinci" Roma - Fiumicino airport can identify the correct Terminal and departure Gate by following the posted signs, consulting the monitors and interactive totems connected directly to an operator, or ask any staff member at Aeroporti di Roma information desks.assengers who must check-in for their new destination shall go directly to the appropriate airline's transfer desk. Passengers who wish to drop off their luggage while waiting for their connecting flight can take advantage of the ADR luggage deposit service, located in the Arrivals Area of Terminal 3.

For passengers connecting within the Schengen Countries (from and to Terminals 1 and 3) security checks are not required. However, those who are coming from an Italian or Non-Schengen departure point (Terminals 1 - 3) and are departing for an intercontinental or Non-Schengen Country destination (Terminal 3, Boarding Areas G and H) and vice versa, must undergo a passport check by the Border Police. Customs checks are conducted at the discretion of Customs Officers. There is also a required security check for transfer passengers from Non-Schengen Countries to all destinations.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2015 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:27 pm

One hour connections can work. Can. But there is zero room for problems. If you are booking this LCY-FCO-NRT connection, I'd strongly suggest having in your pocket a list of alternative ways to get from FCO-TYO and flexibility in your plans to arrive late.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I think you mean FCO - Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci di Fiumicino, no? there is no airport coded "FIU".

I've requested a moderator amend your thread title.

Other useful information for members here to help might include which airlines you will be flying on, flight numbers and whether the flights are on one PNR or separately ticketed, as that might indicate what the possibilities for re accommodation in case you miss your connecting flight. But in my experiences with FCO and its ground staff and procedures, and given you'll have to process formalities, not to mention disembarking and boarding, IMO one hour would be foolhardy.

You can read the FCO website (Italian or English), but it's not the best site to get help: http://www.adr.it/fiumicino or http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...-fco-fiumicino (other languages selectable). Everything it has on connections:
Apologies and many thanks for requesting the title update, It is indeed FCO, the search results mentioned FIU but this seems to be the terminal reference.

So, i'm guessing if I miss the FCO flight due to delayed departure then the airline are obligated to find and put me on the next available flight>? and if it's the next day i'm guessing they will also have to pay for a hotel?

If this is the case then i'm not too concerned as I don't have any commitments on the other end.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:50 am

Is your trip all on one ticket, or are the XXX-FCO and FCO-TYO segments on separate tickets?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Is your trip all on one ticket, or are the XXX-FCO and FCO-TYO segments on separate tickets?
yep, all on the one ticket issued by alitalia.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by AceofClubs
yep, all on the one ticket issued by alitalia.
Then yes, you should be accommodated on the next flight if you misconnect. If you have option of a little longer connection I'd take it, though.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:29 pm

Well, with the arriving flight on time it's absolutely doable, especially because you arrive to, and leave from the non-Schengen area of T3. But with anything more than 15 minutes delay, your successful transfer will rapidly evolve from iffy to impossible, also because you will be bussed to the terminal and AZ will only provide one bus for all passengers: flights from London City are always on an Embraer and all passengers, including business, are squeezed in a single bus.

Think of the bright side: if you miss your flight to Tokyo, you get a free stopover in Rome!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by AceofClubs
Apologies and many thanks for requesting the title update, It is indeed FCO, the search results mentioned FIU but this seems to be the terminal reference.
The airport's official name is "Fiumicino – Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci." "Fiu" for short. However, here on FT we use the official IATA codes, as should AZ, IMO, be displaying on their website.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:19 pm

connecting from T3 to T1 at FCO

Does anyone have a newer description on this topic? I need to connect from terminal 3 (coming from USA) to terminal 1 (going to Hungary) at FCO.
I want to make sure that I don't exit the secured area, so I could use some advice what to look for and how to make the fastest transfer from terminal 3 to terminal 1.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.