Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 pm

Quick Connection Time at Fiumicino

I have 2 hours between a Norwegian Airlines flight into Rome and a Air Canada flight from Rome. I have to check my bags for these flights. Is this too little time to transfer airlines? Will I have to go through customs and back through security once in Rome? The 2 times I've been through customs at Fiumicino it's been a nightmare.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Nobody can give you a certain answer, except that in normal times, yes, two hours is enough. The good news is that you will not have to change terminals, you will be arriving and departing from T3, and T3 is back to normal. However, I believe that you are going to have to reclaim your bags from Norwegian Air, recheck them, and go through security again. You will also have to go through passport control. You don't have to go through customs, that will happen in Canada, your final destination.

I'm not 100% positive about this, but I'm 98% sure. Under good circumstances, this is doable, but a lot depends on time of day, day of week, time of year, and random factors.

There is a little known service at FCO that is similar to American Airlines VIP service. It's called "Personal Assistance." For a nominal fee they will meet you, help you get your bags, put you through Fast Track if you don't already have access, and generally guide you through things and help you out when things are tight.

You mention that you have been through FCO twice so I don't know how familiar you are with navigating FCO, if you already have FastTrack access, etc, but the service can be accessed at: http://www.adr.it/en/assistenze-personalizzate. You can call in, email, or fax the arrangements. This might be for you with this tight connection on a transatlantic flight.

I clienti del "Leonardo da Vinci" di Roma-Fiumicino possono fruire agevolmente di assistenze personalizzate e corsie preferenziali.

Clients of FCO are eligible for personalized assistance and preferential lines.

Servizio di Welcome Vip!

It costs 4 euros a bag, plus 5 euros per person (free for 12 and under). It costs considerably more if you want access to the VIP lounge, but you don't have time for that.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:10 am

I 100% agree with Perche's first couple of paragraphs but have no personal experience in what he describes from then on. I brief, unless your Norwegian flight is delayed, 2 hours is more than enough.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:33 am

There are new terminal assignments effective Aug. 7, described as temporary, and Air Canada now checks in at T5: http://www.adr.it/documents/10157/55...3-513dfd5306aa. Also now all Schengen arrivals exit and have baggage claim at T1, so if you're coming from a Schengen country it gets difficult. Not sure if the bus to T5 stops at T1; otherwise you need to wait for the bus in front of T3.

Last edited by rove312; Aug 11, 2015 at 7:37 am Reason: Added T1 arrivals information.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by rove312
There are new terminal assignments effective Aug. 7, described as temporary, and Air Canada now checks in at T5: http://www.adr.it/documents/10157/55...3-513dfd5306aa. Also now all Schengen arrivals exit and have baggage claim at T1, so if you're coming from a Schengen country it gets difficult. Not sure if the bus to T5 stops at T1; otherwise you need to wait for the bus in front of T3.
Just saw that. Hope the OP is following because that will definitely affect his ability to make his connection.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds bad since OP will presumably have separate tickets.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:57 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
T-3 to T-1 on different airlines

I'll be arriving on BA from LHR into FCO into T3 and have 1:40 before catching (hopefully!) an Alitalia flight to Naples from T1. Is this do-able? I'm planning on not checking a bag though would it work if there was a checked bag (I'm more concerned about the friend traveling with me!). If I'm reading this correctly, it's a 10 minute walk airside?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by GloverParker
I'll be arriving on BA from LHR into FCO into T3 and have 1:40 before catching (hopefully!) an Alitalia flight to Naples from T1. Is this do-able? I'm planning on not checking a bag though would it work if there was a checked bag (I'm more concerned about the friend traveling with me!). If I'm reading this correctly, it's a 10 minute walk airside?
Well, let's say 15 minutes plus immigration.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Perche
No need for the shuttle unless you are going to Terminal 5. T3 and T1 are connected to each other and you can walk it in 10 minutes if you hustle.

Your only problem is you will have to go through passport control. If you have an EU passport that won't take long. If a USA passport, it's anybodies guess what the lines will be like.

Signage isn't great, but the walkway from T3 - T1 is on ground level, where you will be upon arriving. Your main challenge assuming your plane arrives on time, will be getting through passport, not the distance between terminals.
I arrived into T3 on Thur and had to go to T1. Was a bit bizarre, but it worked and was very quick.

We landed and took a bus from the plane to the terminal (AZ deplaned business and let that bus go immediately once business was off....very nice)

When we reached the terminal, were directed up an escalator to an area where people were going through metal detectors. We did not have to go through though....got to skip that on the left.

Walked a bit following signs for the B/C/D gates and reached an immigration checkpoint that had no US\EURO distinction....

Cleared immigration and went down a ramp and they put us on another bus again. This bus took us to the B/C/D gates

My first connection in FCO so not sure if this is standard, but worked like a charm.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, QR Gold
Hi Guys i am am flying Etihad Airways(under one ticket and bagged checked through to my destination) SOF-FCO-AUH-SEZ. My flight from SOF (AL Italia) arrives in the FCO airport at t3 and my flight to AUH (Etihad) leaves from T1. Can i do this airside, considering the fact that i am a Thai citizen and i dont have a schengen visa. Thanks for the help
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by sid7122
Hi Guys i am am flying Etihad Airways(under one ticket and bagged checked through to my destination) SOF-FCO-AUH-SEZ. My flight from SOF (AL Italia) arrives in the FCO airport at t3 and my flight to AUH (Etihad) leaves from T1. Can i do this airside, considering the fact that i am a Thai citizen and i dont have a schengen visa. Thanks for the help
I wonder who gave you the info you have:

1) Both Bulgaria and UAE are outside the Schengen zone and you'll never leave it; thus, you don't need a visa.

2) Moreover, you'll never have to enter the Schengen zone, as Terminal 1, which is within the Schengen, is not used by bona fide Etihad flights: they certainly don't fly to AUH from there (unless there are major changes due to the fire, which I doubt), but from T3. You will therefore stay airside throughout your stay at FCO.

Make sure you don't do any unneeded excursions in FCO, check the monitors!!!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:22 am

How difficult is it to change airlines at FCO?

I am looking for the wife and I to take a much needed cruise vacation. The cruise starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome. It is difficult to find Business class award tickets on Delta doing MCO->BCN then FCO->MCO.

Flying into and out of FCO provides a lot of low price award tickets. So how hard is it to land in FCO, get our checked bags, check back in,, and then hop on a cheap flight? Is the airport difficult to navigate?

Last edited by Kuhnto; Aug 26, 2015 at 6:43 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:39 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
There are several terminals but all are connected landside, not that difficult to move between but may involve some walking and a shuttle bus to T5.

Last edited by nux; Aug 26, 2015 at 1:16 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:17 am

Terminal 5 (check-in for U.S. carriers for departures to the U.S.) is not connected landside; you'd need to take a bus from T3. I'm not sure if that's applicable to you, "cheap flights" mostly implying intra-Europe low-cost carriers.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:39 am

The FCO to BCN would be a one way flight. We would fly back out of FCO after the cruise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.