Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:22 am

Your bags will check through to CDG. In Schengen, you go through customs at your destination, not first point of entry - so your luggage and customs will happen at CDG and not FCO.

At FCO you will pass through passport control, as in Schengen that occurs at the point of entry, not the destination. So you will leave the secure area as you go through passport control, and you will re-clear security in T1.

As far as having 2 hours, that should be fine. You're on one ticket anyway so you should be protected if you somehow miss the flight, but 2 hours is enough time unless your flight is very late arriving or you have issues at immigration - but you didn't specify anticipating any. Note that your passport needs to be valid for 3 months beyond your period of intended stay.

There is still construction at the airport, but for the most part, it's not in the way. There are some upper level walkways still closed, such as the one to go from inside the terminal out to the train station, but the solution to that is the same as the solution to everything at FCO - go outside and walk between the terminals. For me it's been the fastest way regardless, since on the departures level you'll have to walk past the T1 ticketing desks which can often get crowded.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: Executive Club
I am very grateful for your reply. All my questions were answered ... I'm more calm ...
Regarding the validity of the passport, in Brazil they inform that the date of passport validity must be at least 6 months after the date back ..
Now with regard to immigration, we should have no problem .. our passports have made 6 trips to the US and two trips to the Argentina..isto the last 3 years
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:42 am

Connecting flights at Terminal 3

Hey everyone,

I was searching through the topics, but couldn't find a situation similar to mine (connecting flights within Terminal 3, most of the people are switching terminals, which is not my case).

So, this July, I ll be travelling from Belgrade,Serbia to Tokyo Narita with a stop at Rome's Fiumicino.

I ll be arriving from Belgrade to Terminal 3 at 13:40 and will be departing from Tokyo at 15:20, also from Terminal 3. I am flying with Alitalia (both planes are booked on a single ticket from Alitalia).

So it gives me 1 hour and 40 minutes (100 minutes) to get from arrivals area to departures area. I wonder, what will I have to do in between, 1 security check and 1 passport check or none of these since I am in transfer? Is there a transfer zone or a fast lane I could use?

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:13 pm

You can stay in a transit area, and I expect you would have security but not passport control. Should be fine if the flights are on-time.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:14 am

Connecting Flights in FCO airport

I have 50 minutes between scheduled arrival of my flight to terminal 3 from Israel and departure from terminal 3 to Chicago. Both flights are Alitalia, booked on one ticket. Is this enough time?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by sjayin
I have 50 minutes between scheduled arrival of my flight to terminal 3 from Israel and departure from terminal 3 to Chicago. Both flights are Alitalia, booked on one ticket. Is this enough time?
Yes (assuming no delay coming in), but no time for shopping.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:42 pm

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [merged thread]

We have a 9:40 AM flight direct to US on AA on a Thursday. How early do we need to get to T5? I would think 3 hours but I do not know if T5 opens before 7:00 AM. I can not find it anywhere on their website. Also, from our hotel in central Rome near Termini should we take the Leonardo Express (and then the shuttle to T5) or should we take a cab directly to T5? I know the train is the cheapest way but what is the easiest way? If by cab, how early do we need to leave to get to the airport? Thanks for any and all information and help ... we are Italy newbies!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:28 pm
JBD

Welcome to FT frankie7!

The easiest way to get to FCO, is a car service directly to T5. And depending how many are in your party, it might not be that more expensive than taking the train. A car service frequently recommended here and on other forums is this one: http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...rports-in-rome

Their cost is €45 for up to three people, more if there are more than 3 in your party. (For comparison, taxis have fixed rates of €48 to FCO from within the Aurelian Walls - where you'll be).

I usually allow 45 minutes to get to FCO on a weekday (but leaving early in the morning and without much traffic, you can get there closer to 30 minutes).

Regarding what time to be at FCO, are you flying in Business/First? Do you have status on AA? Will you be checking luggage?

If the answers are no, no and yes, respectively, then being at FCO three hours prior to departure is a good rule of thumb.

I looked up AA's FCO page and see it just says that the ticket counter is closed for the season. It appears not to have been updated to account for the new "US Airways" year round flights from PHL and CLT. (Are you flying next spring when AA resumes its flights from JFK and ORD, or are you flying sooner through PHL or CLT?)

In any case, I'd schedule a 6:00am pick up if it were me.

Last edited by JBD; Feb 22, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:49 am

T5 FCO Rome information needed

Thank you JBD for the "welcome" and quick response.

First, thank you for the car service recommendation. We are a party of 4 but with only carry on luggage. I was thinking that a cab or car service would be the way to go, now I have to convince the other couple.

Second, We will have no checked luggage, and we are in Business Class. Is there a separate security line for us?

Third, I saw that lack of info, too, on AA's page as there are no flights at this time to FCO. We are flying in late summer (but I'm a worrier and want to get all my ducks in a row). Hopefully it will be updated later ...

Trying to familiarize myself with FCO, I read someone's blog about it. He said that the T5 doors don't open until 7:00 AM and not to get there before then. I was wondering if this was up to date and accurate information? Why would the airlines recommend getting to the airport 3 hours prior to take off if the terminal doors are not open?

Thank you again.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:03 am

I 2nd the recommendation for a car service. I have used Rome Cabs www.romecabs.com as well as Rome Shuttle Limousine. With a car service, they pick you up outside your hotel and drop you directly outside your terminal. As a business class passenger, there will be a separate security line for you. I usually fly Air Canada and they give me a "pass" for the express security line.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:44 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by frankie7
Thank you JBD for the "welcome" and quick response.

First, thank you for the car service recommendation. We are a party of 4 but with only carry on luggage. I was thinking that a cab or car service would be the way to go, now I have to convince the other couple.

Second, We will have no checked luggage, and we are in Business Class. Is there a separate security line for us?

Third, I saw that lack of info, too, on AA's page as there are no flights at this time to FCO. We are flying in late summer (but I'm a worrier and want to get all my ducks in a row). Hopefully it will be updated later ...

Trying to familiarize myself with FCO, I read someone's blog about it. He said that the T5 doors don't open until 7:00 AM and not to get there before then. I was wondering if this was up to date and accurate information? Why would the airlines recommend getting to the airport 3 hours prior to take off if the terminal doors are not open?

Thank you again.
It's been awhile since I've flown out of FCO through T5, but I have done it about 25 times, either on AA's FCO-JFK or their FCO-ORD flights, and what I had always encountered was a minimal wait, if any, to check in at the Business class line, and the security line that I was directed to, either was a fast track, or if a normal line, it went fast. (I've never checked luggage.)

About the airline's recommendation of arriving 3 hours prior to an international, they say that even when you're departing on a 7am domestic flight that connects to an international. I've flown back to the US from FCO through LHR, MAD or ZRH on very early flights, and soon learned that if I didn't want to be there before their groundstaff arrived, to forget their three hour recommendation.

In any case, since you're in Business I would have your car service or cab pick you up at 6:15, or even 6:30, planning to be at FCO at around 7:00.

You don't mention lounge access, but if curious, the lounge situation for AA at FCO is not so great. AA's forum has the wiki thread linked below that should be of some help. And that forum also is where to find more reports of flying on AA out of FCO.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Connecting/Transiting at FCO – A few questions...

Hello all,

I have a few questions about connecting/transiting at FCO:

I have booked flights on BA from FCO - LHR - SJC leaving at 11:45 (in Business Class if that matters) in May. I need to purchase a separate ticket from Palermo (PMO) to FCO.

-How much time do you think I need to make the connection? I will have a checked bag. I have two options: Alitalia or Vueling.

-If I choose the Vueling flight, do you know if Vueling will thru-check my bag? It seems that Vueling and BA have a partner relationship (but I will have a separate ticket.)

-If I choose the Alitalia flight, does anyone know which terminal Alitalia arrives in from PMO? I have tried to find this info, but have not been successful.

Thanks for your help.

AAM

Last edited by AAMillionaire; Mar 3, 2016 at 12:32 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
For the second question you you'll arrive at national/schengen gates or bussed there from apron position.
Then just follow the sign for the inter-terminal shuttle bus to G/H gates, where your flight to London will depart.

I transited last week and all went smooth with no lines at the airside security and passport checks.

The terminal transit has been closed due to a fire last year, but I did read that in May the works should be completed.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Thank you.

If I have to claim bags, do you know where that would be? After I go to the G/H gates, or at the national/schengen gates where I arrive?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:24 pm

What Forrest Bump wrote would have been correct without clearing luggage. If you also have to do that it get's a little more "difficult". You get your stuff (ground floor, Terminal 1) and walk all the way to Terminal 3 where BA is located (first floor, i.e. American 2nd floor). After checking your bag you go through security (ask for invitation to go through the priority lane) and immigration and then to the departure gates.

Given the long time you often need to get your luggage at FCO and the rest of the procedure, including moving to another terminal, you'll be safe if you have, I'd say, 2 hours between arrival and departure. In other words, take the first flight out of PMO and you'll be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.