Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mowake
One card is called The Priority Club Rewards Visa and the other is called The Priority Club Rewards Black Visa. The headline offers refers to the Black Visa but in the T&C's it refers to just visa. Very confusing - I have now accidentally applied for the Visa and not the Black Visa.

If I apply for the Black Visa and cancel after 3months - will I only pay the annual fee pro rata?
No, my understanding is that unlike Amex, Barclaycard (who run the IHG Visa) won't pro-rate the fee. I think this has been a fairly sneaky addition to the Big Win, to force people to take out a CC - they should have made it 6 out of 7 target needing met in this situation. I applied anyway as the overall points on offer still makes it worth the £99 fee.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:48 am

Did you get accepted on the spot EDIflyer or are they writing to you as in Mr qc's case? It's worth getting the card in my opinion as you get the 20,000 points from the big win and 30,000 following your first purchase for taking out the card.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Did you get accepted on the spot EDIflyer or are they writing to you as in Mr qc's case? It's worth getting the card in my opinion as you get the 20,000 points from the big win and 30,000 following your first purchase for taking out the card.
For once I was accepted on the spot - previously with Barclaycard-issued cards (PCR and Hilton) I had problems with this (cf Amex where there were no such issues!) I applied via the link on Raffles' blog, which should hopefully get me 40k, plus 20k Big Win - at £99 that's 0.165p/point
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:15 am

Visa

When I applied for the normal card - I was accepted on the spot! When I realised it needed to be the black card and applied - it said they were writing to me - we all know what that means - NO
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by mowake
When I applied for the normal card - I was accepted on the spot! When I realised it needed to be the black card and applied - it said they were writing to me - we all know what that means - NO
Hardly a surprise. Given the state of banking/finance in the UK these days alarm bells would be ringing at someone applying for two cards very quickly with any lender.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
My promo......

1 night = 1,000
3 Nights= 3,000
3 brands= 7,000
Book 2 online = 2,000
3 Saturdays = 8,000
2 HI stays = 3,000
All done = 10.000

Can I change promos.......3 Saturday stays means mattress runs for me....by April 30 I see a max of 2 Saturdays I would be out of town staying in a hotel on a Saturday night.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
My promo......
1 night = 1,000
3 Nights= 3,000
3 brands= 7,000
Book 2 online = 2,000
3 Saturdays = 8,000
2 HI stays = 3,000
All done = 10.000
Can I change promos.......3 Saturday stays means mattress runs for me....by April 30 I see a max of 2 Saturdays I would be out of town staying in a hotel on a Saturday night.
Got the same promo - only need to complete 5/6 offers though. I'm planning to skip the 2x HI offer (-3k vs -8k for skipping 3x brands), but you could always skip the 3x saturdays offer
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Well, this was terrible news for me as I read your post while staying in a European HI booked with exactly this rate. Obviously, I was hoping to knock out my HI, BFB + breakfast, and Saturday all in one night.

This seems like BS since it defaults to this rate when you are booking through your PC account, you have to manually switch to the "real" (?) BFB + breakfast rate. For this reason, we'll see what posts and I plan to fight it.

Originally Posted by Concerto
Folks, I have a bit of what could be valuable input here. I haven't read a single post on this thread yet, only just finished reading the 2013 Big Win thread, plus catching up with one or two other threads over the holiday season. It's quite a challenge staying abreast of everything.

One of my challenges includes having to book a Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast. I thought I had managed to book this at HI Dusseldorf Ratingen, which also happens to be one of my City Life cities. I would also be knocking out one of my two Saturday night stay challenges with this stay.

Here's the deal: while booking it, I was offered a 10% discount because of it being a Saturday night stay. But when I looked at the print-out (I always make a pdf of these reservations and print them out) I was a bit worried that I didn't see 'Best Flexible Rate' written anywhere. What was written was IHG® Rewards Club Member Exclusive –Flexible with Breakfast.

So I called the hotel, and they were clueless and frankly unhelpful, as was the international call center. Finally, through the chat function on the IHG website I established that the above was not a Best Flexible Rate or anything of the sort, but a different rate code altogether. So, if you are tempted by the 10% discount that staying a Saturday night would offer, then bear in mind that booking it will trigger a different rate code completely, even if it says Flexible somewhere and you end up ticking the Breakfast box.

The chat function offered a much higher rate for the desired Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast, but I managed to book a rate online that worked out 8 Euros higher than my original reservation. You just have to avoid the 10% discount offered if booking a weekend stay, and go for the full Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast, not forgetting to check the box for Breakfast.

By the way, there's seems to be no way to get out of the 20 Euro extra charge for a second person in the room, although the room is sold as a double. It's annoying, but that's the way it is in Germany and Switzerland.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Amyrlin
I have the same, and it is also scuppering the deal for me. The points may have been an incentive to move more nights over, but I really do not like the idea that they have made the need to take out a credit card part of the requirement. I could have understood it if I had get 6/7 and get the bonus, but needing 7/7 it means I will focus elsewhere. It's a shame really, with a different target there, they may have got more rather than less business from me.
I have the Visa card as one of my challenges but only have to complete 1 less than the total number of challenges. I didn't think they could make getting the card compulsory to complete, because you may not even be eligible for the card. I remember when they ran a similar promotion a year or so back you didn't have to complete every challenge if the credit card was one of them.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by zoobenny
I have the Visa card as one of my challenges but only have to complete 1 less than the total number of challenges. I didn't think they could make getting the card compulsory to complete, because you may not even be eligible for the card. I remember when they ran a similar promotion a year or so back you didn't have to complete every challenge if the credit card was one of them.
Mine is def compulsory (need 7/7).

If it were 6/7 I would not object.

Last edited by Amyrlin; Jan 5, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:54 pm
SDK

Stay 6 night 13,200
Stay 2 brands 14,400
Stay 2 Saturday 7,200
Book twice with IHG 2,900
Stay at 2 InterContinental 24,000
Complete all 62,000
Total 123,700
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
For once I was accepted on the spot - previously with Barclaycard-issued cards (PCR and Hilton) I had problems with this (cf Amex where there were no such issues!) I applied via the link on Raffles' blog, which should hopefully get me 40k, plus 20k Big Win - at £99 that's 0.165p/point
So there is no requirement to apply via the Big Win link?
I cancelled this card less than 6 months ago, so a little frustrating that it's now one of my challenges.

I also have live the city (2 nights).

Can it be two different (or even the same) properties within the one city or do I have to visit to separate cities?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:13 pm

hello

It can be 2 of the same brands, but not the same city!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Amyrlin
Mine is def compulsory (need 7/7).

If it were 6/7 I would not object.
Ditto - 7/7 here too. If I had been rejected for it I would have complained.
Originally Posted by pazza2000
So there is no requirement to apply via the Big Win link?
Not that I could see in the T&Cs. When I originally clicked the link it only gave me my survey anyway - 100pts still not credited from that BTW despite showing as complete in my progress status!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Is anyone seeing stays being counted at bigwin.ihg.com yet? The points from a qualifying stay have posted to my account, but the dot on the timeline & the relevant hotel badge haven't yet appeared.

justakiwi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.