Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Have 2 rooms booked here for this coming July, one with a DSU. Hoping for good things
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:35 am

We are planning a weekend-stay here in the near future, and would like to book the room category that have the most quiet location. Does anyone have any advice?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:29 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by heakja
We are planning a weekend-stay here in the near future, and would like to book the room category that have the most quiet location. Does anyone have any advice?
Ask for a room opposite Ellis Square; depending on the level of activity in Ellis Square at night, some noise may occur. We did not notice any major issue and loved the view of the Square. But, for the most quiet, request a room facing the other way.

You will love this property - it is my go-to property in Savannah!!
Old May 28, 2015, 1:28 pm

Anyone have experience recently with the Andaz Savannah? I'm considering a stay there later this year, and there haven't been many posts in this thread for a while...

Last edited by jtc331; May 28, 2015 at 1:28 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
Originally Posted by heakja
If you want a quite room, an Ellis Square room is ok as long as it is NOT the weekend. We stayed in a corner suite on the square Sat-Wed. Only Sat. was there a noise issue which we understood.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:38 pm

Anyone stay recently?

I know quite a few other Andazes offer breakfast via room service for Diamond Members. Does this one do so as well?
Old May 19, 2017, 11:13 am

Since nobody has commented on this property in a couple of years, I'll chip in my .02 after a recent stay.

Location: Very good IMO. Ellis Square is near the far northwest corner of the historic district, but in easy walking distance of just about anything you'd want to visit/see. I considered some nearby non-Hyatt alternatives, but many properties are on Bay St. a block north, which serves as a major east-west truck route (& is thus very noisy).

As for noise from Ellis Square itself,
Originally Posted by AttorneyVin
Ask for a room opposite Ellis Square; depending on the level of activity in Ellis Square at night, some noise may occur. We did not notice any major issue and loved the view of the Square. But, for the most quiet, request a room facing the other way.
Originally Posted by Mastermind
If you want a quite room, an Ellis Square room is ok as long as it is NOT the weekend. We stayed in a corner suite on the square Sat-Wed. Only Sat. was there a noise issue which we understood.
we did notice some nightime noise (from a bar w/a band on the opposite side of the square) on a Tuesday. If you're especially sensitive, follow AttorneyVin's advice above; if you're like me & are willing to put up with a mild amount of weeknight noise (which didn't go especially late in any event), the view south over the city & the extra sunlight is probably worth it.

More generally, Ellis Square puts you close both to Broughton St. (main shopping drag) & the waterfront/Factors' Walk, which features numerous bars & restaurants.

Check-in: Was fine--attentive, quick, polite.

Room: Our king room was small by Andaz standards, even compared to ones in major cities. I wouldn't call it cramped; for two people, it was comfortable if not spacious. The decor was a bit somber, and somewhat exacerbated by there being only one window for natural light. If you're expecting light & airy accommodations, this isn't the best choice.

I did note a number of shortcomings in terms of room detailing (not enough wall hooks in bath) & maintenance/housekeeping (interior of minibar, while well stocked, was sticky & gross from a previous spill). In general, things were fine.

Common areas: As others have indicated upthread, this is not a very Andaz-y Andaz if you're used to NYC/5th Ave., Amsterdam, or the like. Interior design is clean & attractive, but not distinctive.

The pool is small, but well laid out & well supplied with towels & bottled water. There are cabanas with large couches as well as chaises longues & regular wicker chairs for guest use. It was refreshing after a warm day of touring, and not crowded around 4:30-5pm. (Pool closes at 9pm, which seems early to me.) There seems to be a poolside bar/cabana, although it was closed up when we were present.

Staff: Stayed only one night, so I can't comment (beyond the notes above) on daily room/minibar refresh. Housekeepers were friendly & helpful (e.g., when I asked about the ice machines); bell staff were generally attentive & quick to open the front door for entering/exiting guests.

Miscellaneous: The property is in category 4, and thus eligible for use of the annual Chase free-night cert. Even though we used a cert, we received WoH points (w/elite bonus!) for the stay's nominal cash value, which I've never had happen before.

To sum up, the Andaz Savannah didn't knock our socks off in the usual Andaz way, but it's a fine choice for a tourist visit to the city. I'd go back, especially with a cat 4 cert to burn.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway

I considered some nearby non-Hyatt alternatives, but many properties are on Bay St. a block north, which serves as a major east-west truck route (& is thus very noisy).
??? I was at the HR this past Mon night. Bay St noisy ??? could be they knew I was in town and all stayed away. Could be the rooms facing Bay St but even in the lobby I had no idea that there was any movement of cars/trucks outside

Upgraded (also used a 1-4) to a nice suite but w/o any view, I saw the room opposite mine was open person checked out and stepped in to check the river view and decided it was nothing to write about and stayed put

The only slight neg was they were redoing the lobby which didnt affect me and you had to use the handicap ramp to get in as they were working on the entrance as well. The ramp is right next to the main doors so no issues

If the only reason you didnt go with The HR was due to street noise, there is none at the HR,cant speak about what its like at any other hotel along Bay st

Easy in and out and walked by the Andaz by mistake but with the narrow streets and cars and trucks turning every which way, I was very happy I stayed at the HR
Old May 19, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by craz
??? I was at the HR this past Mon night. Bay St noisy ??? could be they knew I was in town and all stayed away. Could be the rooms facing Bay St but even in the lobby I had no idea that there was any movement of cars/trucks outside
The HR is set far back--basically, a short Savannah block--from Bay St. That's great if you want to be on/near the riverfront (& does spare you the worst of the Bay St. noise), but it's less convenient for walking around the HD. Also, it's a typically graceless big property that, from all appearances, serves a lot of tour groups. Personally, I prefer a smaller, less institutional hotel like the Andaz, but tastes differ.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:38 pm
Suspended

The HR is set far back--basically, a short Savannah block--from Bay St. That's great if you want to be on/near the riverfront (& does spare you the worst of the Bay St. noise), but it's less convenient for walking around the HD. Also, it's a typically graceless big property that, from all appearances, serves a lot of tour groups. Personally, I prefer a smaller, less institutional hotel like the Andaz, but tastes differ.
yes its set back from Bay St by at most a 1 min walk= not enough to KO any traffic noise if there was any which I never found even when waiting for car to come up or walking around. As for the HD once you cross Bay St your in it, OK leave the Andaz and youre smack in it. But again < a 5 min walk

But like you said different strokes for different folks, always works and keep going to wherever it works for you. Just don't knock a place when the negs aren't negs. Had you said you wanted an outdoor unheated pool and the HR is indoors and heated, that would be legit. But saying Bay St has too much noise when it doesn't and I never heard any not when I was inside the hotel. nor when I was outside is another matter
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, EK Skywards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards
3 Night Stay at Andaz Savannah

We (wife and I) stayed in an Andaz Suite at this pet friendly property. This is our first stay at an Andaz property (or Hyatt for that matter), so I am unable to compare it to other Andaz properties.

As mentioned above, the check-in experience is different from what we are used to, as it is just a large desk with a couple of stations for checking in and customer service. We were offered red wine during the check-in process (nice touch). Behind the check-in desk is a guest waiting area, with a small space where guests can retrieve beverages and snacks (complimentary). I do prefer a traditional check-in layout, but otherwise it was prompt and courteous.

Our room has a nice view of Ellis Square from the balcony (accessible via shuttered French doors). Furnishings were not quite as fresh/nice as I anticipated, but was adequate for the most part. The desk chair had stains of an indeterminate nature, but we did not pursue the matter and simply did not use it much (shame, I like making use of a desk). Equipped with a mini-fridge, which was clean and stocked. Water, juices, and sodas are complimentary. Beer is extra.

Bathroom is large and well cleaned, with a pedestal tub and large shower with two shower heads. Single vanity, makeup mirror with lights (big selling point for wifey). The tub is nice and was quite comfortable for soaking.

Bedroom has a 32 inch television (in addition to the 42 inch unit in the living room). Both worked properly, with a decent collection of channels.

I mentioned that this is a pet friendly hotel. It is across the street from Ellis Square, which has plenty of grass for four legged guests to potty on. There are also plenty of pet friendly establishments surrounding and within walking distance of the hotel (we visited Woof Gang Bakery multiple times, great pet store).

Staff was pleasant and welcoming. They responded to all of our requests within a reasonable amount of time and were quite accommodating. Breakfast buffet options are on the healthy/contemporary side (We did enjoy the breakfast options). There is a bar adjacent to the restaurant, but we did not avail of it, nor did we see the pool/fitness center (so I cannot comment on them).

Parking is pricey, with valet costing more than self-parking (of course). However, valet parking allows for in and out privileges, self-parking does not.

Because of this property's proximity to bars and entertainment, I would advise against staying here if you require silence. Although the noise is not obscene or excessive, there is a vibrant nightlife surrounding the hotel. Alternatively, you can request a room on the side of the hotel (away from Ellis Square).

Ultimately, we enjoyed our stay here and would most likely stay at this property again the next time we visit Savannah.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Miscellaneous: The property is in category 4, and thus eligible for use of the annual Chase free-night cert. Even though we used a cert, we received WoH points (w/elite bonus!) for the stay's nominal cash value, which I've never had happen before.
I've rec points using award night points @ another HP. The stay was for 3 rooms for 1 night. All 3 rooms awarded points/bonus based on $180 room rate (not sure how that was determined). Even rec a 1 night stay credit. While another stay at a Raleigh HP fetched zero.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

We spent three nights here. Each were booked using a category 1-4 cert, so 3 1 night bookings. Hotel dealt well with this. We arrived at midnight when there was one check in person, one valet, and one security. The valet was elsewhere and we were left to wrangle our luggage inside. We travel light so that wasn't an issue; it was more the uncertainty as to whether we were allowed to leave our car right outside. The check in person assured us he would pass off the keys to the valet and sent the claim check to the room. That hadn't happened by 1am so my husband returned to the front desk. We only had the car for one day and it was nice as a glob to get complimentary parking.

We were upgraded to a "loft" the first night. I've no idea why that name as room is on one floor. It is spacious, with a sofa bed, a large comfortable chair with footstool, a desk, and the bed. The bathroom had a walk in shower and a single sink. The room was quite dark.

I asked about a suite and was moved the second day. Their room nomenclature perplexes me as it was not a suite. Rather, it was a corner room overlooking Ellis Square. It had an entry with two chairs, then a minibar area with microwave, and the bedroom. This area had a huge window overlooking Ellis Square as well as a window overlooking a parking garage. There were 3 TVs, in the entry area, the main area, and in the bathroom. There was no desk and there was no oversized chair with footstool.

If you want light and a view, you'll want the "suite". If you want a desk and a very comfortable chair, you'll want the "loft".

We had a plate of 6 chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine the first night.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We spent three nights here. Each were booked using a category 1-4 cert, so 3 1 night bookings. Hotel dealt well with this. We arrived at midnight when there was one check in person, one valet, and one security. The valet was elsewhere and we were left to wrangle our luggage inside. We travel light so that wasn't an issue; it was more the uncertainty as to whether we were allowed to leave our car right outside. The check in person assured us he would pass off the keys to the valet and sent the claim check to the room. That hadn't happened by 1am so my husband returned to the front desk. We only had the car for one day and it was nice as a glob to get complimentary parking.

We were upgraded to a "loft" the first night. I've no idea why that name as room is on one floor. It is spacious, with a sofa bed, a large comfortable chair with footstool, a desk, and the bed. The bathroom had a walk in shower and a single sink. The room was quite dark.

I asked about a suite and was moved the second day. Their room nomenclature perplexes me as it was not a suite. Rather, it was a corner room overlooking Ellis Square. It had an entry with two chairs, then a minibar area with microwave, and the bedroom. This area had a huge window overlooking Ellis Square as well as a window overlooking a parking garage. There were 3 TVs, in the entry area, the main area, and in the bathroom. There was no desk and there was no oversized chair with footstool.

If you want light and a view, you'll want the "suite". If you want a desk and a very comfortable chair, you'll want the "loft".

We had a plate of 6 chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine the first night.
I stay in this property once or twice a month and have always been upgraded to the "Andaz Suite" which includes a minibar area, small living room and then a bedroom that has an attached bathroom with shower and tub. Once I asked about the "Ellis Square Suite" (the room you were allocated) and was not very impressed. It might be nice if I was staying there and did not need to work, but I agree with your statements.

Still an overall great hotel especially with the Diamond/Globalist recognition.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:53 pm

Thanks for the review Sandiego! Any photos? How was breakfast? Does this have the Andaz feel since it's a convert from Avia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.