Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
As another data point, I stayed on a weekday this week to start using up my Hyatt points before World of Hurt kicks in.

There are two real attractions: the ocean and the food on-property. To the message that asked about staying in inclement weather, keep in mind that this often makes the ocean dramatic, though the coastline here is remarkable anytime. Well, not anytime: the sunset is spectacular but once it's dark it's dark.

But the property is within easy driving distance of Carmel and, further down the road, Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove and Monterey, where a bit of nightlife can be found, though it's not SF or LA.

Diamond amenity was the worst I've ever seen: the beverage was still or sparking water. I got the sparking water, but the cap was a pry-off cap, so it won't keep overnight unless you have a stopper. I ordered the fresh fruit as the food amenity, which was 3 pieces of very ordinary fruit (leaving aside that amenities will soon be a moot point).

The room was fine though in no sense opulent. The maintenance issue was poor drainage in the shower.

The food was first-rate in the main restaurant, the lounge bar, and the breakfast. The drinks were amazingly good. The restaurant is a well known destination restaurant, and priced accordingly. Someone else's drink ended up on my folio, but promptly removed on my pointing it out. Always check your folio, people, no matter where you stay!

While checking out, a couple returned to this property from a stay on a previous day who had left something in their room. They were complaining about not getting a call about it and the FDAs did not dispute. But when I pointed out to them the privacy reasons involved with the property being proactive about lost items, the FDAs promptly nodded in agreement. (Normally this sort of thing is none of my business, but since it was holding up my checkout, I decided it was my business.)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
The diamond breakfast now includes room service as well as the California Market. The amenity is still the water and whole fruit.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by wilma
The diamond breakfast now includes room service as well as the California Market. The amenity is still the water and whole fruit.
Did they offer room service as an option or did you have to request?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by SK56
Did they offer room service as an option or did you have to request?
They offered it at check-in.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Going to stay here for a night in June. I'm guessing we're all in agreement that points + cash reservation is highly recommended here?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Terminator8
Going to stay here for a night in June. I'm guessing we're all in agreement that points + cash reservation is highly recommended here?
Depends on the cash rate as always. I was able to get my corporate rate here last year and it wound up being barely more than the cash portion of a P+C redemption
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Had a wonderful two night stay. Used a TSU to upgrade to an Ocean View Townhouse Suite, in which we have stayed many times before. Rooms 501-504 have unobstructed views of the ocean. I have not checked out 505 or 506, but 507 would seem to have a partially obstructed view from a big tree. As I think I've mentioned before, these Townhouse Suites are bi-level with 15 very steep stairs leading to the bedroom on the lower level and are definitely not suitable for anyone with disabilities. I don't know if 509-518 are regular rooms or Townhouse Suites also, but I will find out and update here.

To our delight we found these units have been refurbished and are very nice. They still have the large spa Jacuzzi tub but all of the furnishing have been replaced. They still have the wonderful wood burning fireplaces. I don't know to what extent other categories of rooms have been refurbished. This is an unusual Hyatt property in that it is part timeshare (majority) and part Hyatt resort; this separation was required by the Town of Carmel which would not allow an all timeshare property.

We had a warm greeting and departure from the Front Desk; very efficient and friendly folks there. We had breakfast in the California Market/Pacific Edge Restaurant each morning. As a Globalist everything was complementary and is ordered off the menu; no buffet. Breakfast there is quite expensive so this free benefit was very valuable for us. My wife and I and 13 yr. old had a daily bill, before tip, of about $77, all of which was written off. We highly recommend the Point Lobos Benedict (a Dungeness crab Benedict). We had one dinner in the same restaurant- again quite expensive ($255 including tip for one salad, three entrees, two desserts, two cocktails and a Shirley Temple). But the food is outstanding and the view can't be beat. By the way, this price was after a 10% coupon was applied; these coupons can be obtained from the Hyatt timeshare representative near the Front Desk with absolutely NO sales pressure.

This is one of the most expensive properties in the Hyatt network. A basic room is around $600 a night or higher, even with a member, AAA, or senior discount. In the area I believe to be the resort portion, some rooms at the $600 a night price are HIGHLY undesirable. These would be rooms 532-546. These rooms are located on two levels and both are only a couple of feet above and adjacent to a very steep road leading to all other units and rooms in the complex. The lower rooms, especially, would be affected by constant noise until late evening and have extremely limited views. They appeared to be full when we were there, but there have been many complaints about these rooms on TripAdvisor.

I have never quite understood to what degree the resort is separated from the timeshares. I don't know if rooms in the timeshares are also offered on the same Hyatt website as the resort. But many of those have extremely limited views.

This is a very upscale resort, but it is very different from say the Hyatt Indian Wells or Hyatt Regency Scottsdale. It highlights the rugged coast and the ocean, rather than fancy pools and other typical resort amenities. We love it here, were married in the Carmel Mission, and return frequently. I'm thrilled that the property has been beautifully refurbished. Keep in mind, this inn was the original and famous Highlands Inn started over 100 years ago, but there's nothing rustic about it now. They do try to carry on the tradition of a small inn, however.

Feel free to ask any questions or PM me about any specifics.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
@JIMCHI

any word on globalist breakfast benefit via room service as mentioned above by others. They removed it in 2016 IIRC but reports in early 2017 mentioned it coming back.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
@JIMCHI

any word on globalist breakfast benefit via room service as mentioned above by others. They removed it in 2016 IIRC but reports in early 2017 mentioned it coming back.
I don't know. They didn't offer it and I didn't want it. We enjoy breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
About 3 week ago we were able to take breakfast in room. However I would take it in the restaurant as room service quality was hit or miss
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
We just stayed there. I asked about breakfast (globalist) at check in and was told it's not comped for globalists.

Stayed in a 509-512 room; suite. Beautiful million dollar ocean view.

The suite was in desperate need of a full remodel - everything looked 1980s. One of the HUGE disadvantages of 509-512 is that if the rooms below you use their fireplace, the smoke will come in your room. Our room reeked of fireplace smoke. I mistakenly thought the previous occupant didn't open the flue on the fireplace and filled the room with smoke. No, it became apparent in the evenings that the smoke was coming from lower rooms' fireplaces.

In all, I felt the property was significantly overpriced for what it offered and will look for other properties the next time we stay in the area. I would suggest the Tickle Pink Inn, next door.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by itsallgood
We just stayed there. I asked about breakfast (globalist) at check in and was told it's not comped for globalists.

Stayed in a 509-512 room; suite. Beautiful million dollar ocean view.

The suite was in desperate need of a full remodel - everything looked 1980s. One of the HUGE disadvantages of 509-512 is that if the rooms below you use their fireplace, the smoke will come in your room. Our room reeked of fireplace smoke. I mistakenly thought the previous occupant didn't open the flue on the fireplace and filled the room with smoke. No, it became apparent in the evenings that the smoke was coming from lower rooms' fireplaces.

In all, I felt the property was significantly overpriced for what it offered and will look for other properties the next time we stay in the area.
Globalists DO receive free breakfast- we just stayed there. If you paid for breakfast call the hotel and ask them to credit you back for those charges. I presume you did not stay in one of the two floor town houses (501-508) but I didn't realize that 509-512 were rooms up above and rooms underneath.

I agree this property is one of the most expensive in the entire Hyatt network.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Globalists DO receive free breakfast- we just stayed there. If you paid for breakfast call the hotel and ask them to credit you back for those charges. I presume you did not stay in one of the two floor town houses (501-508) but I didn't realize that 509-512 were rooms up above and rooms underneath.

I agree this property is one of the most expensive in the entire Hyatt network.
The front desk clerk told us no free breakfast; we're definitely Globalists and the FDC acknowledged that. We didn't eat breakfast there so it was a lost opportunity, based on what others have written about the restaurant.

509-512 is single story. Our unit was a two room suite; one room with TV/fireplace and the other was a bedroom. Very, very dated interior. Based on the irregular sink design (and other oddities), my guess was that the room has never had a major refresh.

For the price point, we were disappointed. But the view was spectacular.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by itsallgood
The front desk clerk told us no free breakfast; we're definitely Globalists and the FDC acknowledged that. We didn't eat breakfast there so it was a lost opportunity, based on what others have written about the restaurant.

509-512 is single story. Our unit was a two room suite; one room with TV/fireplace and the other was a bedroom. Very, very dated interior. Based on the irregular sink design (and other oddities), my guess was that the room has never had a major refresh.

For the price point, we were disappointed. But the view was spectacular.
I am sending you a PM with the name and e-mail address of the manager there. Please write him about the breakfast. It's unacceptable that you were incorrectly advised and missed out on a wonderful breakfast at Pacific Edge.

I assumed that since you said smoke was coming from the room below that the room was literally under yours. I guess you meant it was coming from rooms in the building below.

There entire resort is being remodeled and it appears they just hadn't done 509-512 yet. We were in 503 recently and it had been totally updated.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
anyone have pics of the Renovation? Stayed here about 10 times earlier this year and always felt 80sish but the view and pacific edge keep us coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.