Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Just completed a 1 night awards stay at the San Francisco Grand Hyatt. Was assigned a Grand Club room on the 34th with a Union Square/partial bay view. The rooms on the 34th floor have been recently renovated. There were 2 pedestal sinks in the bathroom and closet for this room was in the bathroom. They still have not upgraded the TV's at this hotel.

Service at the Grand Club was good. There was no hot entrees for the evening service in the Grand Club. IN the morning the Grand Club was pretty crowded...so some people had to wait for others to leave before getting a table.

At checkout...they forgot to credit the 1W bonus for the Diamond Amenity. Seems like half the time I stay here...I have to ask them to add the bonus.

Overall the stay was good....would rate it a B+.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Opinions on this choice:

Executive Suite as the Grand Hyatt ($104 aaa rate) vs. Balcony Suite at Hyatt Regency San Francisco ($135 aaa rate).

Which is better?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
The HR balcony suite is the better room bc of the balcony and window in the larger bathroom. The HR is also the better lounge with great views of the Bay Bridge, but it can get very crowded.

The GH lounge has a more panoramic view.

Both locations are good and both have the G2 bonus.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can't go wrong at either location at those rates. ^^
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
I think th G2 bonus starts 12/1/09 at the GH San Francisco. Hope your right and I'm wrong because I'll be checking in today.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
G2 starts 12/01/09 for both properties check the Hyatt Gold Passport Bonus Offers, under special offfers. I wish they offered it now, the rates are real cheap this weekend, and a G2 bonus would make a stay in the city more attrative this weekend.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Update.

I booked two rooms under the Santa promotion which gives $25 F&B credit and discount on parking. I used my last Diamond upgrade cert to upgrade one of the room to a Executive Suite. Those are actually pretty nice as they have two full bathrooms. Upon check-in asked if something "larger" was available. Does not hurt to ask. That left the Executive Suite available. Asked if something nicer could be done about the second room. Does not hurt to ask.

We enjoyed our time and the huge amount of space. The Grand Club lounge was nice even with only cold selection. We dined at Grandviews but found the menu very limited. Aka one beef item, chicken item, fish item. You get the story.

Kinda conservative so from SFO took BART to Embarcadero then a cab from HR to GH versus cab all the way. Should I have gotten off at Powell or Montgomery if I tried this again? Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Yes, it is a 5-10 minutes walk from the Powell station to the SFGH. It is a little uphill, but I have done it easily with luggage.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thanks. I may do the walk back. Will go to Powell Street Station. It will be downhill at least.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thanks. I may do the walk back. Will go to Powell Street Station. It will be downhill at least.
Turn right after you pass the Apple Store and the Men's Warehouse on Stockton Street. It's easy to miss that entrance to the BART Station.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
I am at this property right now. I must stay the staff are really on top of their game. The hotel manager made a point to come over and introduce himself, shake my hand, and welcome me to the property while I was checking in. The front desk agent who checked me in called a few minutes after I went up to my room to make sure everything was okay and did I need anything else. She took the time during checkin to go over all of my diamond benefits at this property since it was my first time here. I was addressed by name consistently while here. The grand club staff were courteous and welcoming - reminiscent of Hawaii Hyatts. This is in contrast to most regency clubs where they hide or ignore you. The room is in really good condition and tastefully decorated. Diamond upgrade was to a club room on the club floor.

View out the window from my room was great. The windows actually are floor to ceiling windows and they open (only a couple of inches though.) The room is nicely apointed with a decent size desk and work chair as well as a small table and two comfortable "parlor" chairs.

I ordered a cobb salad from room service (typically what I eat while at a Hyatt) and I must say it was noticeably better than any other Hyatt cobb salad I've had (well HR Waikiki was close). The produce was of extremely high quality. The chicken was perfectly cooked and it was tender and juicy. The blue cheese was also of higher quality than i am used to. It was creamy and flavorful.

The (small) gripes:
The room has an old fashioned CRT TV of about 25" size. This seems kind of sub-standard for a hotel of this prominence/price in a club room.

The food selection in the grand club was tasty but small. it was probably the worst I've seen at a Hyatt - though nowhere near as pitiful as i would expect at a Hilton. The items all tasted good though. There was some kind of delicious dip to go with the vegetables. There were a few cheeses, some flatbread crisps, small slices of bread, an olive salad, and 3 types of mini-pastry with meat or shrimp filling (cold items). The views were fantastic. If I were choosing a downtown property based on regency club I would definitely choose HR SF. The rooms there are bigger too and they have big flatscreen TVs.

Other thoughts:
This property has mini-bars - something I rarely see at Hyatts.

The restaurant on the 36th floor has spectacular views and would be a great place to eat even if not staying here.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Thanks for the detailed report.

Originally Posted by HunterSFO
If I were choosing a downtown property based on regency club I would definitely choose HR SF. The rooms there are bigger too and they have big flatscreen TVs.

Just to clarify, your report is about the Grand Hyatt San Francisco so, here, are you referrring to the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf or the one Embarcadero St?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:56 pm

I believe HunterSFO is saying that the HR Embarcadero has bigger rooms than the GH SF and that the HR Embarcadero has flat screen TV's (not to mention a TV in the mirror in the bathroom ).
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: UA1K 0.71+Lifetime ,DL,Hyatt Diamond,SPG,HH
I just stayed at this hotel last Friday with a great stay. Greeted me by name and called upstairs to confirm room okay. Decor dated but for $125 w/25food credit who cares.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm at the Grand Hyatt right now on a 1-night stay, and after a promising start, I am less than impressed:

(1) Check-in was great, I was kindly greeted by the check-in staff, and a manager came to personally welcome me as well. I was alerted to a small maintenance issue in the room that was still being fixed, which I didn't feel was a big issue.

(2) The room is perfectly fine -- my confirmed "suite" upgrade is just two rooms with a connecting door -- but it doesn't function very well as a suite. As usual, I have trouble connecting to the T-mobile wireless internet, which seems to be a recurring headache during my Hyatt stays.

(3) Soon after I entered my room, the maid knocked and entered (before I had the chance to respond) and asked me if my room was okay. I mentioned the small maintenance issue (turned out to be a missing curtain sheer) and she said she would have someone fix it.

(3) The Grand Club was crowded with the only available seats in a dark corner (no window & no view), and there were no hot items nor (more importantly) meat items, only cookies and vegetables that didn't interest me. I grabbed a diet soda and left shortly thereafter. The GC attendant was overly polite but that didn't make up for the fact that there was nothing there for me to eat and no place to enjoy the 32nd-floor view.

(4) I received a call from the front desk asking if my room was okay. I again mentioned the maintenance issue and was told that it would be fixed.

(5) I returned from my evening out to find...there is still no curtain sheer and the curtain rod is still on the table.

To be sure, the lack of a curtain sheer does not bother me. But when I'm told about a known problem up front, and report it twice again, and promised three times that it would be fixed, the lack of follow-through is disappointing.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Stayed one night at the GH SF yesterday (a FFN "free" stay). Quick summary:

1. Check-in was friendly, quick, and efficient. Check-in clerk recognized me as a Platinum member and asked if I knew about the internet benefit (I did). Got a regular room on the 29th floor with King bed (as requested).

2. First thing I noticed in the room was that the sheers had a hole ripped into them. Carpet looked a bit ripped/worn by the door, too. TV was standard-issue old Panasonic CRT.

3. Second thing I noticed was that the safe didn't work (displayed "Ser" (Service?) whenever any button was pressed). Since I didn't want to hang around for someone to fix it, I didn't call the front desk and just took my valuables with me). I did mention it at checkout.

4. Came back late at night and wanted to check my email. T-Mobile log-in page didn't recognize my name/room number for the "internet included in rate" option and offered $9.99 option instead. Didn't feel like calling the front desk at that late hour (wife wanted to sleep) to get this sorted out, so I used my iPhone instead.

5. Next morning, wanted to take a shower and discovered that there was no shampoo (only conditioner and body wash). Not standard, is it? Left a note for the maid mentioning that shampoo was missing.

6. Sunday SF Chronicle delivered to room. Nice!

7. TV Checkout didn't work. "Try again later".

Waiting to see if I get a satisfaction survey from the property.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm Reason: Typo, clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.