Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
The recent "Diamond Review" reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqm4H3m3Ew
Whew - looking at the 152 comments from the past year or so, it looks like this is circulated among front desk people - and this may be the first time it's seen the light of day on our side of the counter. I wish it were possible to suggest, "Not all front desk people are like that," and I'm sure they're not, but it sure looks one way across a sample and over time. Unless it's a couple of people using a lot of handles -- which happens. Nasty.

(BTW, the set first reminded me of the Andaz on 5th.)

To be clear, I'm commenting on the piece's commenters and the 498 likes vs. 6 dislikes.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you for this review, msblueyz. The thing that got me most is that you used a suite upgrade, but still had to pay $400. I know it's peak season in wine country, but wow. Another couple of thoughts:

I've been stuck in a room that overlooks the parking lot, and gone right back and asked for a different room (Grand Champions). In such cases, I've wondered if a computer assigns the room, and sometimes a human doesn't double-check on how their Diamonds are being treated. I haven't been so lucky when I arrive late, though -- not for the first night, anyway.

The other big thing that strikes me is that this is still very early in the conversion. I anticipate that with Hyatt picking up the two chains and a smattering of other previously-branded hotels, we're going to be seeing a lot of reviews that sound a lot like this. In my own experience, I stayed very early at the "new" Hyatt Santa Barbara. It was far from a Hyatt, but I was there mainly to see what they have to work with.

And another thought now occurs: Interesting thing re expectations. While I haven't just looked at the Yelp reviews, msblueyz indicated at the top that they must have been really good. So, and this is looking much wider than this review, as another brand, a hotel can get top ratings, but then as a Hyatt, not so much. (Acknowledging that here many of the issues were over Diamond recognition.)
To avoid confusion, we paid $400 for the third night, which was a Sunday night (not the most coveted of nights). While much of my review was over Diamond recognition, I was trying to point out that the hotel does lack amenities one may want in a Napa accommodation, like pool, spa, vineyard views, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
The recent "Diamond Review" reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqm4H3m3Ew

If your husband is a "Hyatt Diamond Passport" he should be smart enough to assess other properties at that price point that might better suit your expectations.
Speedytimmy . . . I did say in my review that I didn't do my homework. We were so excited to just see a Hyatt in Napa, I think we were just blinded by that! We also didn't "flaunt" my husband's Diamond status.

Last edited by msblueyz; Oct 5, 2011 at 9:37 am Reason: Add additional information.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
For what it's worth, this property is in smack of downtown Napa, where, like any other downtown, there's not much of a view nor vineyards. My goal, when I visit Napa Valley, is to go out and enjoy, not necessarily sitting in the hotel room staring out of the window like a madman (unless I'm hungover).

Also, Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa, as matter of fact, is close to many excellent wineries on the OTHER side of the valley. Napa is not the only game in town.

Glad to hear that there's now a Hyatt option in Napa Valley! ^
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt globalist, Hilton diamond
Great stay

I had a short stay last weekend booked on Points. Check in went smoothly; concierge was friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Was a little rough with the whole Hyatt introduction and diamond amenities. Explained about wine tasting in the lobby which was just wrapping up. Offered suggestions for restaurants and things to see in the area. As we already had reservations for dinner did not press for more recommendations or possible reservations in the area.

Despite booking on points it looked like I received an upgraded room. Room I believe was a Lux suite but with the addition of a fireplace. (I was not told of any upgrade at check in) With a view of downtown First street. Not sure if any rooms have remarkable view. But I was quite happy with the room/view that I received.

Breakfast on the weekend is a buffet which had a pretty good selection. (was told breakfast is ala carte weekdays but on weekend only the buffet is served). Was quite satisfied with the selection and quality of food and beverage. There is a nice patio to relax on the second floor. It was a little cool during our stay and did not take advantage of it.

Checkout was fairly smoothly, had to prompt to remove breakfast which was done without question. Front desk appears is still adjusting to Hyatt but was friendly no complaints.

Overall I had an excellent stay which had exceeded my expectations; even If I had paid I would have been quite satisfy. The paid rate however for my weekend did appear higher then other similar properties in the area and it was my first time staying in the area and cannot comment if it is good value vs similar hotels in Napa.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hyatt Avia Napa

Andaz Napa - a concept by Hyatt

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

1450 First Street Napa, CA US 94559

Hyatt Avia Napa (0 Photo)

We just got back from a quick weekend trip to Napa and stayed at the Hyatt Avia Napa. The main purpose of the trip was for dinner at French Laundry in Yountville, CA.

Full review is posted on myblog

Hotel sign

I heard about this hotel from a friend of mine who stayed there and raved about it. As usual, I checked out the pictures and reviews on Trip Advisor, and this hotel got really good ratings! The price was quite reasonable (around $160-$250) for the Napa area, and I LOVED the modern style of the hotel. This hotel had just recently been acquired by Hyatt, previously the name was just "Avia Napa." Even though this hotel was now technically a Hyatt hotel, we didn't really feel like we were staying in a chain hotel. The hotel still retained a lot of its "boutique" feel which we liked.

Avia Hotel - Napa

The hotel is located in downtown Napa. We have been to Napa a number of times, but surprisingly haven't been to this area of town. The hotel is on a quiet street area, across shops and restaurants. It was nice to be able to walk around and check out downtown Napa from our hotel.

Quiet street in downtown Napa, across from the hotel

One thing to note, we thought that the parking was valet only ($15/night). We had a lot of luggage for our 1 night stayso decided to valet. On the second day did we realize that we could have actually self parked at the parking garage in the back for free.

The lobby area was quite small but the design was very nice: rustic and modern.

Hotel Lobby

Hallway

Breakfast area

We booked the hotel via hotels.com and after reading many reviews on Trip Advisor, we splurged and booked the Master Tub Suite. The Master Tub Suite had a separate living room area, as well as a HUGE tub.The room was quite spacious, and there were actually 2 flat screen TVs (one in the living room and another one in the bedroom).

Living Room seating area

Second flatscreen TV and the fireplace

The bedroom area was beautiful! There was a HUGE tub to the side of the room, which was very unique and so lovely!

Beautiful bedroom with HUGE tub

The tub was GIGANTIC! If we ever build our own house, I would want a tub like that! The bathroom area was also really spacious, with a separate shower area and dual his/her sinks.

Gigantic tub

Clean, modern bathroom

There wasn't a swimming pool in this hotel, which I thought was a little surprising. But we didn't mind since we only stayed for one night. Their evening turndown service was a nice touch, which included 2 free bottled waters and mini chocolates.

The hotel also provided free drinks/appetizers in the lobby area from 5:30-7:00 PM nightly as well as free chair massages. How awesome is that? Unfortunately, we were not able to participate since we had early dinner reservations at 5:30 PM.

Overall we LOVED this hotel and would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

Hyatt Avia Napa

Would you like to write a review on the Andaz Napa - a concept by Hyatt?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:56 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Welcome m4rcla!!! and thank you for the extensive review!!!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks peteropny
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'll be checking in to the Avia on Monday night...actually Tuesday morning about 1 a.m.!

Don't need to be up to Middletown until 1pm, so I will sleep in, enjoy breakfast and explore a bit.
I'll check on the conversion to Andaz and report back...any idea what I should expect as a Diamond amenity choice?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Great property

We just returned from a 2-day stay at this property and absolutely loved it. A great location and excellent service from every employee we interacted with (we did have two small issues but they were dealt with in exemplary fashion).

For the Diamond amenity, they offer various food and beverage options. We opted for a bottle of vino and a cheese plate. Both were quite nice. Toiletries are Lather Bamboo Creme.

We splurged a bit on a Tower suite (essentially a junior corner suite on the top floor with three juliet balconies and a separate tub by one of the balconies). Definitely worth it and apparently they only have two, so they are often snapped up early.

By the way, apparently the conversion to Andaz is now slated for September. I really hope that the new concept will not affect service!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: A few
Andaz Napa Will Open on September 7th

Looks a great property
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:31 pm

Good Location, Poor Service

Just spent a Saturday night at this property using a Diamond suite upgrade. It does have a nice modern look and is centrally located in town. However, the service left much to be desired.

I arrived shortly before noon and thought I'd see if my room might be ready early. Unlike my experiences at other Andaz properties, it took a while for an agent to notice me (and it was a bit more difficult to discern who was an employee and who was not), but I eventually caught someone's attention and inquired about the availability of my room. It wasn't ready (no big deal) so I confirmed that I would be getting an Andaz Large Loft as I had been told when I utilized my suite upgrade and went on my merry way.

After I returned that evening and checked in, I discovered I had not been given the right room. I called guest services and the agent told me I had been given a "luxury suite." Well, it certainly didn't seem luxurious to me, but the staff member was insistent that I had been upgraded. I subsequently went to the lobby to clear things up. Again, the agent I dealt with kept telling me they had placed me in a "luxury suite," though this time the word "complimentary" was thrown in. I tried to explain that as a Diamond I may get a complimentary upgrade to the room type they put me in, but that I had specifically used a confirmed upgrade instrument that should have gotten me at least a Large Loft. The agent seemed quite bewildered by this while he tapped away at his pad and eventually just said they were full and didn't have anything else available, but could give me some points.

Given that both the Diamond line agent and the agent earlier in the day had told me I would be getting a Large Loft, I held my ground. I called up the Diamond line, explained the situation, and passed the phone to the check-in agent - hoping they could explain to him what a confirmed suite upgrade was. Well, that appeared to finally do the trick as I was then told that my new room would be available in 30 to 40 minutes. I was also offered a bottle of champagne for my troubles and eventually got my new room a little before 11pm.

The Large Loft was similar to that at the Andaz 5th Avenue minus the view and smaller in space. However, it was nicely furnished. Frankly, I was somewhat underwhelmed given the price point. The Diamond breakfast amenity was $40 for the whole party (though I was told you could fudge a bit on that). I didn't try the breakfast but was told it was good, though service was quite slow.

Upon checkout I again had a wait before an agent helped me. To be fair, it wasn't that long of a time, but when you don't have a line to measure by, it is difficult to determine where you stand in the order. The agent was the same agent I had talked to the night before. While preparing my bill he told me he would waive the valet fees in light of the prior night's issues. When I told him I hadn't used the valet services, a look of confusion again came over him. You can be sure that when he later asked if I wanted a copy of my receipt, I took him up on the offer just so I could immediately verify there weren't any other mysterious charges on my bill.

Service issues aside, this isn't a bad property if you keep your expectations in check. In comparison to the other Andaz's I've tried (5th Avenue and Hollywood) I have to say this property falls short. You may also want to save any confirmed suite upgrades for another venue.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Odd fact about this property: the only room with two beds is the "Andaz Large King," which has two king beds. Was considering it for an upcoming short stay, but the significant premium for that room class made the Santa Rosa property a better choice at half the price.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:07 pm

Anybody stay here recently? I am using a suite upgrade certificate but that only gets an "Andaz Loft". What do you think the chances are I could get one of the larger rooms with the soaking tub if asking nicely?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Originally Posted by brekkesdsu
Anybody stay here recently? I am using a suite upgrade certificate but that only gets an "Andaz Loft". What do you think the chances are I could get one of the larger rooms with the soaking tub if asking nicely?
This is the suite that I usually get. Worth a call to the property to ask.

This is the slowest time of the year in wine country so your odds are good as long as it isn't on a weekend where there is a special event.

Odd liquor selection. Nothing you have ever heard of, I mean nothing.

No matter what you do you have to get the english muffin with your breakfast.

Last edited by Vinodavid; Jan 17, 2013 at 9:50 pm Reason: adding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.