Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
different card issuers. you can't split.

Originally Posted by amf098765
If i spend $20,000 on the surpass and $20,000 on the reserve will it qualify me for diamond or do I need to spend all $40,000 on one card.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who went the upgrade route, did you receive Approval email?

Did the upgrade from husband's account, instantly approved but no email has come. Only proof is the screen telling about new card will be sent in 7 business days. It better arrives on time as we are leaving on a month-long trip in less than 2 weeks.

Does this card has forex fee?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Originally Posted by Happy

Did the upgrade from husband's account, instantly approved but no email has come. Only proof is the screen telling about new card will be sent in 7 business days. It better arrives on time as we are leaving on a month-long trip in less than 2 weeks.

I didn't get an email. Yes forex fees..
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:00 pm

No email just the card changed to Surpass when I log in.

Per chat they can't confirm 100K...........I told them to drop me back to the old card.

Edit, now they found the 100K offer and confirmed it, I would urge everyone to get confirmation as he was saying 50K

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 25, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Finally got my card delivered today. Hats off to Lauren for stepping in and getting Amex to look into why my application was held up. I have 5 nights booked next week so the points from the card and the extended promo will be nice. Looking to spend some time in WN planes and Hilton hotels in the near future!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512

Per chat they can't confirm 100K...........I told them to drop me back to the old card.

Edit, now they found the 100K offer and confirmed it, I would urge everyone to get confirmation as he was saying 50K
How did they find it? Another chat rep or a phone rep confirmed that? There is no more SM on AMEX. Did they note the account?

Our cards have shown up online today. (upgrade did on the 25th).

How long it takes you to receive the physical card?

Last edited by Happy; Apr 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
For those with the 100K upgrade, do you need to wait for the new card to arrive to start the minimum spend and have new earning levels kick in? I was about to pull the trigger since I am just about done with the minimum spend on my Chase Ink Plus so it is a good time to start. I'm off to Ireland Saturday so figured I could start putting trip expenses on the old card even though I don't expect to use a Hilton, but then checked to find there is still a 2.7% FTF. Guess I'll hold off a few days to maximize my annual window.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
For those with the 100K upgrade, do you need to wait for the new card to arrive to start the minimum spend and have new earning levels kick in? I was about to pull the trigger since I am just about done with the minimum spend on my Chase Ink Plus so it is a good time to start. I'm off to Ireland Saturday so figured I could start putting trip expenses on the old card even though I don't expect to use a Hilton, but then checked to find there is still a 2.7% FTF. Guess I'll hold off a few days to maximize my annual window.
No i didn't - wants your upgraded you can charge right away on the old card and it will count towards your 3g spend.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Khiaao
No i didn't - wants your upgraded you can charge right away on the old card and it will count towards your 3g spend.
Do you start earning the better rates on category bonuses? Our cards have changed the look online either from yesterday or day before but not arrive yet. Would want to buy restaurant gift cards on the saved AMEX offers last month when now the restaurant chain has bonus card for Mother's Day purchase. Fairly good discount when you get $10 statement credit on $25 purchase and the chain offers $10 bonus card on $50 card purchase. If one can split payment on the $50 that would be even sweeter.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:11 am

Do you start earning the better rates on category bonuses? Our cards have changed the look online either from yesterday or day before but not arrive yet. Would want to buy restaurant gift cards on the saved AMEX offers last month when now the restaurant chain has bonus card for Mother's Day purchase. Fairly good discount when you get $10 statement credit on $25 purchase and the chain offers $10 bonus card on $50 card purchase. If one can split payment on the $50 that would be even sweeter.
I never used the HiltonAmex category bonuses, just on my AMEXGold
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never used the HiltonAmex category bonuses, just on my AMEXGold
The Membership Reward pt transfer rate to HH pt sucks.

HH Surpass earns 6 HH pts at restaurant fwiw. Also 12 pts at paying Hilton stays while the Gold is what? 1 membership reward pt?
Old May 1, 2016, 10:44 am

The Membership Reward pt transfer rate to HH pt sucks.

HH Surpass earns 6 HH pts at restaurant fwiw. Also 12 pts at paying Hilton stays while the Gold is what? 1 membership reward pt?
I have well over 700,00 HH points no need to gain more and a need to use my Gold for others reasons that i will not disclose here. thanks.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have well over 700,00 HH points no need to gain more and a need to use my Gold for others reasons that i will not disclose here. thanks.
Our current balances are over 500K before I spent 160K yesterday for 5 days at Pattaya Thailand due to last minute needs to change itinerary on the upcoming month-long trip - the last part was 8 days in Hong Kong now become 5 days in Thailand and 3 days in Hong Kong. Thanks to abundance of HH pts and BA Avios we could change the trip as needed.

Never have enough HH pts to burn. It comes handy in situation above.

I have PRG as well but MR worth less to me despite its advertised myriad of transfer partners. SQ has 4 transfer partners so no need to use MR as source. It is among the only worthy international airline partner to us.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512

Chat rep has no ability to see the offer. He gave me a phone number to call. The phone number is for card conversion (of any kind I presume) and is listed on the doc about conversion that come with the new card.

Called the 1-800-528-4800 number. Rep had to check with supervisor then returned with positive confirmation - while she said the confirmation reference PRM29528 is on the account, she probably meant the offer code (as we know how AMEX Offer operates) because when I asked her to check husband's card, she said it was the same confirmation number.

Hope the above info would help anyone who needs to verify his/her 100K upgrade offer.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
As a point of reference:

Applied for the card: 4/10
Approved: 4/26 (Still unsure what the delay was caused by)
Received the card: 4/28
Met Spend: 4/28
Bonus Points Posted: 5/2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.