Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dajoip
My wife and I will be flying the following segments (with corresponding seats) in September:
  1. DFW-OGG (arrive @ noon): 4 A/B (L)
  2. OGG-LIH (3:15 - 4:00 PM): 7 E/F (R)
  3. LIH-HNL (8:30 - 9:00 AM): 7 E/F (R)
  4. HNL-DFW (depart @ 5:45 PM): 3 A/B (L)
    • Note: Sunset will be ~6:45 PM
Any differing suggestions for which side to sit on for all 4 segments compared to what I currently have? TIA!
Bump
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:17 pm
Suspended

To take a cue from the late, great George Carlin, I would always sit on the INSIDE of the plane, as the OUTSIDE of the plane is unbearably cold and windy, and the air is very thin.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jw3putt
HA 51 & 50? Right side usually gives a view of Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach, and Pearl Harbor on down wind leg of landing. Probably left side on HNL to JFK for possible views of islands east of Oahu.
Originally Posted by AKAloha
what about flying in from ANC to HNL on AS?
Originally Posted by dajoip
My wife and I will be flying the following segments (with corresponding seats) in September:
  1. DFW-OGG (arrive @ noon): 4 A/B (L)
  2. OGG-LIH (3:15 - 4:00 PM): 7 E/F (R)
  3. LIH-HNL (8:30 - 9:00 AM): 7 E/F (R)
  4. HNL-DFW (depart @ 5:45 PM): 3 A/B (L)
    • Note: Sunset will be ~6:45 PM
Any differing suggestions for which side to sit on for all 4 segments compared to what I currently have? TIA!
Re landing in HNL, typically sitting on the right side of the plane gives the best views on interisland flights, while the left side on flights from the Mainland will give the best views once the plane turns for the landing. However, if there are Kona winds, the Mainland flights are best flown seating on the right.

For takeoffs from HNL, typically, the left side of the plane is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.