Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

For a flight Oakland to Kona and return, which side of the plane should we sit on for the best views arriving and departing (is there a usual approach/departure pattern for KOA? Travel will be the end of July)
Old Apr 30, 2003, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To see the Big Island or Maui? All we saw of BI was a moonscape of lava flow.

Sit on the right side to see Maui.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 6:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sit on the left going from OAK to KOA and the right on the return.

All flights I've been on to KOA (3) have curved around the north end of the big island to land at KOA on the West coast.
Old May 8, 2003, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Which side should you sit on for flights from/to HNL<->KOA?
Old May 8, 2003, 6:44 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sequin:
Which side should you sit on for flights from/to HNL&lt;-&gt;KOA?</font>
If I remember correctly, if you sit on the right side KOA-HNL you will view Maui and possibly Waikiki (depending upon landing strip in HNL.)

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:17 pm

Any suggestions on which side of the plane to sit on Lax -&gt; Ogg?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TraveltheWorld:
Any suggestions on which side of the plane to sit on Lax -&gt; Ogg?</font>
Not sure that it matters a whole lot - the OGG airport is on the northeast side of the island so there's not a lot to see before you land.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For OGG sit on the port side for a 5-6 min view of West Maui prior to landing. If you are on the starboard side you will get a 2-4 min view of the South Maui coast. If you miss it, you will get 100X more of the Maui views by driving to your hotel. The previous is true for 98+% of the flights as they land to the north.

MisterNice
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Well, I would certainly defer to the advice of MisterNice. But I swear that I landed at OGG from the north - maybe I'm just forgetful.

[This message has been edited by cactuspete (edited Jan 20, 2004).]
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The predominant landing pattern for OGG is approaching Kahului from the south. West Maui and Maalaea will be on your left, Haleakala will be on your right. This course heads directly into the trade winds. If it is blowing Kona, I would suppose they could do a north approach.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cactuspete:
Well, I would certainly defer to the advice of MisterNice. But I swear that I landed at OGG from the north - maybe I'm just forgetful.</font>
Like Fly'nHawn said, if there is a Kona-winds approach, flights to OGG might approach from the North and I have seen that take-off/landing pattern before but the greater majority of landings/take-offs are trade wind take-offs which is as described as above.

aloha

edited to add "wind" to Kona for clarity

[This message has been edited by slippahs (edited Jan 22, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:46 pm
Suspended

It doesn't matter because the flight pattern or path changes daily based on wind/weather condition.

For instance, if it is windy, the plane will take off from south side of the runaway and the plane will land on the south side of the runaway.

Do I make sense?

I live in Kona. Ask me any questions and I'd be more than happy to help or answer your question(s)....
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KDHawaii777:
For instance, if it is windy, the plane will take off from south side of the runaway and the plane will land on the south side of the runaway.
</font>
I don't know about the KOA tower, but OGG and HNL towers are infamous for their laziness in changing the approach paths and often don't change them until absolutely necessary.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:23 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slippahs:
I don't know about the KOA tower, but OGG and HNL towers are infamous for their laziness in changing the approach paths and often don't change them until absolutely necessary.</font>
That's a big laugh.

Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slippahs:
I don't know about the KOA tower, but OGG and HNL towers are infamous for their laziness in changing the approach paths and often don't change them until absolutely necessary.</font>
Actually they will start to change the landing direction at OGG if the wind even "hints" is going to change from the normal northly direction to the southly direction (eg the main runway is only 7000 ft in length).

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.