Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by flute29
Hi, I am wondering which side to seat from HNL to ITO for the best views. Looking at the route, it appears that you get the best views of molokai and maui by sitting on the left (port) side of the plane. Is this right? And Big Island itself shows up on the right side of the plane.
Appreciate any help on this. Thanks
I love sitting on the left side on a clear day departing out of HNL, you get an awesome view of downtown, waikiki and diamond head. Great for pictures.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Flying IAH to HNL this June, just wondering which side of the plane I should sit to get the best views coming into HNL.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Flying IAH to HNL this June, just wondering which side of the plane I should sit to get the best views coming into HNL.

Thanks.
Left side, for views of Pearl Harbor and the greater Honolulu area on final approach. Sitting on the right side would make for some good aerial views of Honolulu as you pass over it get to final approach, but there are no guarantees based on cloud cover and route taken.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:14 pm

Which side of the plane has the best view? SFO-HNL

When flying SFO-HNL, which side of the plane has the best view? How about the return? I have two little ones who love looking out at the view...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Well there isn't much to look at for the majority of the trip.... But I chose the left side of the plane on a recent flight to HNL and I could see Molokai (not that exciting) and then Hickam AFB upon landing in HNL. We took a redeye home so I can't provide much feedback on leaving HNL. Your kiddos will likely be disappointed if they are hoping to see something cool on the flights.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:56 pm

Everything you ever wanted to know on which side to sit on when coming into/going out of HNL.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-into-hnl.html
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by love2ft
When flying SFO-HNL, which side of the plane has the best view? How about the return? I have two little ones who love looking out at the view...
SFO has some great views after departure on a clear day (e.g., Golden Gate Bridge), but normally you have to be on the right side of the plane for that. As noted up-thread, left side provides you views of the Ewa plains, Pearl Harbor, etc. on final approach.

For departures, you'll also want be on the left side. Your view out the right side will be the great Pacific Ocean, but you'll get a very nice view of that from both sides of the plan for 95% of your flight.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
does no one fly C48-OGG? all i see is HNL-OGG

ok, DFW-OGG. help me out, folk!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec
I'm surprised no one has updated this thread with the info for the NYC-HNL route.

TS
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone, we ended up sitting on the opposite side for the views (I didn't select seats early enough to get the sides I wanted), but the kids enjoyed it anyway. At least we got to see Diamond Head departing HNL...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
SFO has some great views after departure on a clear day (e.g., Golden Gate Bridge), but normally you have to be on the right side of the plane for that. As noted up-thread, left side provides you views of the Ewa plains, Pearl Harbor, etc. on final approach.

For departures, you'll also want be on the left side. Your view out the right side will be the great Pacific Ocean, but you'll get a very nice view of that from both sides of the plan for 95% of your flight.
Thanks, I'll have to remember to select seats on the right for any flights departing SFO. My youngest loves picking out the GG Bridge as we drive along the City. I never pay attention on our flights out of SFO, now there's something else for the little one to "I Spy"...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
going from JFK to HNL then HNL to JFK

which side going
which side coming back.

booking now. thanks
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ac921ol
going from JFK to HNL then HNL to JFK

which side going
which side coming back.

booking now. thanks
HA 51 & 50? Right side usually gives a view of Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach, and Pearl Harbor on down wind leg of landing. Probably left side on HNL to JFK for possible views of islands east of Oahu.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:22 pm

what about flying in from ANC to HNL on AS?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
My wife and I will be flying the following segments (with corresponding seats) in September:
  1. DFW-OGG (arrive @ noon): 4 A/B (L)
  2. OGG-LIH (3:15 - 4:00 PM): 7 E/F (R)
  3. LIH-HNL (8:30 - 9:00 AM): 7 E/F (R)
  4. HNL-DFW (depart @ 5:45 PM): 3 A/B (L)
    • Note: Sunset will be ~6:45 PM
Any differing suggestions for which side to sit on for all 4 segments compared to what I currently have? TIA!

Last edited by dajoip; Feb 16, 2015 at 7:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.