Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MauiTiki
...Oh well . . . the main point is getting to Maui ^
Indeed. It's a wonderful island.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jw3putt
Definately left side. I have been going to OGG from DFW or ORD on American for the past 14 years every December and a few times in late February, and EVERY time experienced the flight pattern described by Cholula. This past year we took an unusualy long loop North and East and got a great view of Molaki and Lani before turning back around on final. Got to see the islands of Hawaai, Maui, Molaki, and Lani from 4A. Right side would have seen very little of Maui.
I again agree and I've made probably 50 trips into OGG over the last 20 years.
When flying from the mainland, you will fly north of the big island of Hawaii so the left siders will have the view. And on approach to OGG the left siders will also have the view until the plane turns left and starts down the island before it's 180 degree loop for it's final approach.Then both sides get a view.
But I'll add that I've never landed at OGG before late afternoon or early evening when the trades are blowing big-time so an early afternoon or morning flight may experience a different flight pattern.
And I'll also second bocastephen's comment about the roller coaster ride on final approach.
Never fails that you lose a few fillings on the last 5 minutes of the flight but they're easily replaced after a few Mai Tai's when you reach your hotel.
Old May 19, 2006, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the left side...it looks like the wing could possibly scrape the mountains.
Old May 30, 2006, 10:23 am

Having just returned from my trip, I agree that the left side offered the best views.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:14 pm

Hawaii Island Hopping - best side of plane to sit on for views

Hello,

Which is the best side of the plane to sit on for best views for the following legs? I know this is a lot of legs, but wanted to consolidate all answers, for future searchers. TIA.

East bound
- OGG (Maui) => ITO (Hawaii)
- LIH (Kauai) => ITO (Hawaii)
- LIH (Kauai) => HNL (Oahu)
- HNL (Oahu) => Mainland
- OGG (Maui) => Mainland
- Other?

West bound
- ITO (Hawaii) => OGG (Maui)
- ITO (Hawaii) => LIH (Kauai)
- HNL (Oahu) => LIH (Kauai)
- Mainland => HNL (Oahu)
- Mainland => OGG (Maui)
- Other?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Zimdog
Hello,

Which is the best side of the plane to sit on for best views for the following legs? I know this is a lot of legs, but wanted to consolidate all answers, for future searchers. TIA.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'll bite.

Into: (normal trades)

HNL: R (from Maui, mainland, B.I; L from LIH)for Waikiki; L for Pearl Harbor
OGG: R, Haleakala; L: West Maui's
KOA: L, for initial; R, for final
ITO: R, for initial;, R or L for final
LIH: R

Out of: (normal trades)
HNL: L
OGG: R or L
KOA: R
ITO: L
LIH: R

From Maui, the right side gives good views of O'ahu on initial approach; then it switches to the left side and Pearl Harbor on Final.

Hope this helps!

Ripper3785? You're next!

Last edited by kaukau; Dec 18, 2007 at 5:22 pm
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kaukau
Into: (normal trades)

ITO: R, for initial;, L for final
Agree with all your choices, kaukau, except I'd say that R for final into ITO is/can be just as impressive as left (and for a longer period).

R you get a nice view of Hilo-town and (when it's clear) Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. If the pilot does a short base-to-final turn you'll also see some very nice views of Hilo Bay Beach and downtown.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:17 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Agree with all your choices, kaukau, except I'd say that R for final into ITO is/can be just as impressive as left (and for a longer period).

R you get a nice view of Hilo-town and (when it's clear) Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. If the pilot does a short base-to-final turn you'll also see some very nice views of Hilo Bay Beach and downtown.
Mahalo, cblaisd! You are the ITO expert, that's for sure!!! ^ ^

The fun thing about threads like this is the memories we get to pull up and re-examine in order to post our replies, of all the wonderfull flights and trips we've enjoyed in our State over the years!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Just wanted to clarify one thing for my upcoming trip...

Is the suggestion above: KOA: L, for initial; R, for final from another island or from the mainland? (Sorry if that's a dumb question!)
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:39 am

I don't fly as frequently as you folks do, but in late October we left OGG for KOA and, from the left side, we had the most incredible views of Haleakala crater I've ever imagined. Wow!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
What's the Best Side to Sit on from LAX to LIH

We'll be going to Kauai in January and I'm wondering what's the best side of the plane to sit on on the LAX to LIH route? I'd like to get a look at the islands as we're flying in.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:36 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm jealous of your trip.

Even though you are flying on United, the answer would be the same on any flight from the mainland to Lihu`e; as such, I'm going to move this over to the Hawaii (Travel) Forum, where the experts there can provide their insight.

My personal vote would be for the right (starboard) side.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Foum
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:50 pm

definitely right side. Tough to see other islands during the LIH approach. Landing at LIH is typically on Runway 3, so you usually approach essentially due westbound on a long base leg 5 miles south of the airport, with the island to your right. Have fun!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks for the replies...didn't even know there a travel Hawaiian forum. I'll take a look. It's our 35th anniversary year, so this is the "big trip". the 30th was spent on the Alaskan cruise....another must see thing to do. Thanks again
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Buy this guide book http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html Great info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.