Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
We flew SFO-LIH over Christmas, and we landed on RWY 3. The view from the left side of the plane was spectacular. Not sure what people on the right side saw.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resurrect this thread - which side LAX-LIH in Sept?

After reading this thread I am still confused because it seems both sides are being mentioned!

We have 2 trips in play - one in March LAX-KOA but it is night flight both coming and going so it does not matter.

Another one currently tentatively would be LAX-LIH in Sept. During that time of the year, which side should be better for viewing the jagged mountains of Kauai?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Happy
After reading this thread I am still confused because it seems both sides are being mentioned!

We have 2 trips in play - one in March LAX-KOA but it is night flight both coming and going so it does not matter.

Another one currently tentatively would be LAX-LIH in Sept. During that time of the year, which side should be better for viewing the jagged mountains of Kauai?
Into LIH, you'll have a nice view sitting on the left side of the plane facing forward (an A seat), assuming normal landing patterns.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus AAdvantage La Quinta Returns
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think the left side would give a better overall view of the island and Haleakala on approach as you cross east of Kahalui following the Hana Hwy along the sugar cane fields, then make the U turn around "Village 8", then you get the West Maui Mountains as you are on final approach.

Either way, nothing beats the mini rollercoaster ride you get when the winds really pick up and blow across the cane fields sending your plane bouncing around.
Yup thats Fun ever time until you feel like your going to threw up your snack box at which point landing cant come sooner then you finding oil
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:11 am

Sounds like into LIH from LAX is the A seat, but since my flight in is late, how about my flight home? LIH to LAX. Either side better than the other?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by osubildo
Sounds like into LIH from LAX is the A seat, but since my flight in is late, how about my flight home? LIH to LAX. Either side better than the other?
At night you won't see really much of anything unlike when taking off from HNL because there are not many lights on Kauai. I'd say it doesn't matter, but A seats if you want to be facing the terminal and inland for takeoff.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Which side is best for HNL to OGG? How about HNL to KOA?

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Which side is best for HNL to OGG? How about HNL to KOA?

Thanks
For both, left side of plane facing forward will give you views of Molokai and a small bit of Lanai. To KOA, you'll also see Maui.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

For both, left side of plane facing forward will give you views of Molokai and a small bit of Lanai. To KOA, you'll also see Maui.
Thanks. How about ORD-HNL? Thanks again.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks. How about ORD-HNL? Thanks again.
Sitting on the left side here too will give you great views of Pearl Harbor on final approach, assuming normal landing patterns.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
Either left or ride side is nice on a mainland - HNL flight, if you sit on the right side the plane will enter a right downwind for the airport giving you a nice overview of Honolulu as you cross the mountains and then HNL airport. The flight crosses over the city between 6-8 thousand feet so you get a nice overview as long as its not too overcast. Plus, on the rare 22/26 flow you get an outstanding view of HNL on final approach. I love sitting on the right side of the plane for these flights.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:38 pm

Which side to sit HNL - ITO

Hi, I am wondering which side to seat from HNL to ITO for the best views. Looking at the route, it appears that you get the best views of molokai and maui by sitting on the left (port) side of the plane. Is this right? And Big Island itself shows up on the right side of the plane.
Appreciate any help on this. Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flute29
...it appears that you get the best views of molokai and maui by sitting on the left (port) side of the plane.
Yes, in my experience that is usually the case. Occasionally the the flight will take a more northerly route directly over Haleakala though.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
SFO-KOA-SFO UA - which side

Coming in to KOA from SFO and flying back the same way in November. Which side?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Inbound: left side for views of Hilo, Mauna Kea, Hamakua Coast

Outbound: left side for views of Kohala and Maui in the distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.