Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:47 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Will since this seems to have turned into the reference thread for all HI airports' landing patterns I have a different one: One a flight HNL-ITO and ITO-HNL which side of the plane to sit on? I am assuming outbound that headed towards Hilo from Honolulu that the normal path is eastbound with Molokai and Maui out the right-hand window, and inbound the reverse (better seats, then, on the left hand window)?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I know slippahs flys this route often, but FWIW, my recollection is yes, when flying from HNL-ITO, they take a northern route that has Moloka`i and Maui off to the starboard. You overfly some of the nicest parts of Moloka`i, including Mo`omomi Beach, Kalaupapa, and the awesome cliffs and valleys of Pelekunu, Wailau, and Halawa.

Flying over the Big Island, you should get a nice view of the Hamakua coast and Waipi`o Valley.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I know when I flew to KOA from HNL last year I sat on the left side and had wonderful views of Molokai, Maui and Lanai. Sat on the right side going back to HNL and again had nice views.
Old May 7, 2006, 4:15 pm

What side of the plane from mainland to OGG?

What side of the plane offers the best views of Maui when flying in from the mainland (ORD)?
Old May 7, 2006, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd vote for the port (left) side, under normal approach protocols.
Old May 7, 2006, 6:21 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Old May 7, 2006, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Left (definitely)
Old May 7, 2006, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Approach into Maui from the mainland is usually a left side of the plane thing.
As you approach the Hawaiian Islands after a loooong flight from the mainland you usually pass close enough to the big island of Hawaii to see Mauna Loa and/or Mauna Kea. Next up is a view of Maui as you start to land. The normal course of flight brings you into Maui over Wailuku and then south down the island to the Kihei/Maalaea Harbor area where the aircraft makes a 180 degree left turn and starts on it's final 10 mile landing approach over the sugar cane fields to the OGG airport.
But depending on the weather, YMMV.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Actually, I would choose to sit at the right side.

Most landings are on rwy 2. The runway heading is 024 -- almost directly north. On a mainland flight you'll typically be approaching the islands from NE, so a slight left turn takes you parallel to the runway, heading south on the downwind leg. This will typically take you over the central valley towards Molokini. Then a right turn to the base leg and another right turn to put you on final.

The right turns mean you're banking right, so people sitting at the left side are seeing a lot of sky while those at the right have a view of the landscape.

The above is the case for trade wind weather, which is typical. Occasionally the winds reverse (Kona winds) and landing will be in the opposite direction on rwy 20 (southbound). In that case you'll see more sitting at the left side.

Originally Posted by Cholula
The normal course of flight brings you into Maui over Wailuku and then south down the island to the Kihei/Maalaea Harbor area where the aircraft makes a 180 degree left turn and starts on it's final 10 mile landing approach over the sugar cane fields to the OGG airport.
But depending on the weather, YMMV.
The above hasn't been my experience. I suppose it's possible the tower could allow the pilot the option to choose a left traffic pattern instead of right. But I can't remember ever landing with that pattern (but my memory isn't great either). Also if you look up the FAA information for OGG it indicates a traffic pattern of right for rwy 2. Furthermore, my house just happens to be situated under the downwind leg, so I have a view of the traffic heading south and then turning right to base and right again to final.

If traffic did use a left pattern, I probably wouldn't see it from my house. So that could be happening sometimes (but not left and right at the same time).
Old May 11, 2006, 12:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by After Burner
Actually, I would choose to sit at the right side. ...
That's what I would have suggested too, for the same reasons.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Since you will almost always do the U turn, and the bank doesn't take very long, I don't think it really matters which side -- you'll get views in both directions.
Old May 11, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think the left side would give a better overall view of the island and Haleakala on approach as you cross east of Kahalui following the Hana Hwy along the sugar cane fields, then make the U turn around "Village 8", then you get the West Maui Mountains as you are on final approach.

Either way, nothing beats the mini rollercoaster ride you get when the winds really pick up and blow across the cane fields sending your plane bouncing around.
Old May 11, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Cholula

Definately left side. I have been going to OGG from DFW or ORD on American for the past 14 years every December and a few times in late February, and EVERY time experienced the flight pattern described by Cholula. This past year we took an unusualy long loop North and East and got a great view of Molaki and Lani before turning back around on final. Got to see the islands of Hawaai, Maui, Molaki, and Lani from 4A. Right side would have seen very little of Maui.
Old May 11, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jw3putt
...Right side would have seen very little of Maui.
What about West Maui and its rugged coast? I think the north shore of West Maui is actually the most beautiful part of Maui.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: JetBlue True Blue, AAdvantage
Darn - AA had me in seat 4A&B (left side) from ORD to OGG but my upcoming flight was cancelled. They re-assigned me 3H&J now DFW to OGG so now I'm on the left. Oh well . . . the main point is getting to Maui ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.