Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by oldtwins
About two months ago on a Delta flight from SLC to HNL, the approach was unusual from the usual circle over the Ewa plains or the Diamond head Kona wind approach. Instead, the aircraft circumnavigated the entire north shore, did a 90 degree turn at Kaena point and then followed down the Waianae coast like a flight arrival from Asia or Kauai. Needless to say, the left side of the craft saw everything which was incredible since I never got that perspective of the North shore before.
This happens from time to time. Ironically, the one and only time it's happened to me was on a DL flight--ATL-HNL. Gives you an incredible view of the North Shore.
Old May 6, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I'm getting confused with all the different options here.
What would be the best side flying LAX-KOA?
Old May 6, 2009, 6:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Left side.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:13 am

LAX-HNL: Which side is better for that "first glimpse"

Aloha,

We have flown out of both ORD (miss flights 72/73) and DFW into HNL, usually during the month of April. My wife likes the AB side of the aircraft so she can catch the "first glimpse" of the islands towering out of the pacific.

On this trip, we will be flying out of LAX into HNL mid May. I was not sure, whether due to departure point, aircraft used (767 vs 757) or the season if the AB side was still better due to a different flight path (versus ORD/DFW). Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
EF or right side of the plane on the outbound and the AB or left side on the return has always been my experience out of LAX. However, I suspect gemac is the ultimate authority on this information.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
i agree with sukn. when i booked my LAX-HNL flight a couple years ago, the AAgent on the phone suggested we take the EF side so we can see all the islands. sure enough, we got quite a view on our descent.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sukn
EF or right side of the plane on the outbound and the AB or left side on the return has always been my experience out of LAX. However, I suspect gemac is the ultimate authority on this information.
Typically, you will see the Big Island, Maui, Molokai, and (on a clear day) Lanai out the AB side on the outbound. You are seeing these from some altitude, so they may be obscured by clouds.

Arriving into Oahu, you will see Diamond Head and Waikiki out the EF side of the plane. If the winds are typical, the plane then turns roughly 180 degrees and lands. During this turn, those on the AB side get a view of Pearl Harbor and the Pali. All of the above is, of course, weather permitting.

All of the above (except the turn at the end) occur in reverse on the return flight.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As this question is not really AA specific, we'll send this over to the Hawaii forum, where there seems to be a good thread on this topic here:

<removed circular link post-merge>

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Aug 3, 2009 at 7:46 pm
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Either I'm out of my mind (always a possibility), or you folks who have already replied are flying a different route than the one to which I'm accustomed. I've flown LAX-HNL many, many times, three times in the past seven months alone. I'm about to do it again next week. The inbound and outbound are not identical; for this reason, I always try to sit on the AB side both inbound and outbound.

On the inbound, we've always cruised along the chain from the northeast toward the southwest. Depending on time of day and visibility, I've seen The Big Island (Hawai'i), Mau'i, Moloka'i, Lana'i, Kaho'olawe, and occasionally even Molokini and some of the smaller outlying islands. We then fly directly over the center of Oahu and make a left turn toward the airport. You get a decent view of the island's topography, but not really any of the more interesting landmarks.

On the outbound, we've always cruised along the southern shore (leeward side) of Oahu. This is the best view, IMHO, better than the inbound. You can readily identify Sand Island, downtown Honolulu (and the Aloha Tower), Waikiki, Diamond Head (including a fantastic view of the crater's interior), and Koko Head. If it's a totally cloudless day, we sometimes get as far as Hanauma Bay, the Blowhole, Makapu'u Point, and even Kaneohe before rising too high to make out details. I've occasionally glimpsed neighbor islands to the east, but not often. I would imagine you could at least make out Kaua'i and Ni'ihau (and maybe Lehua) from the EF side, but I've never sat over there in the daytime, and I find the view from the AB side far more interesting.

I love the Islands, even have a residence card because I visit so frequently, used to live there full-time at one point in my life. I'm always glued to the window on both inbound and outbound. I'm really confused by the recommendations to sit on the EF side on either leg of the trip.

I'm sure weather and runway assignment can affect the approach and departure, but not to such an extreme that it changes which is the "better" side on which to sit. Are there different flight paths taken for different reasons? Have I just been somehow lucky in always taking this particular flight path?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by 2millionquest
Either I'm out of my mind (always a possibility), or you folks who have already replied are flying a different route than the one to which I'm accustomed. I've flown LAX-HNL many, many times, three times in the past seven months alone. I'm about to do it again next week. The inbound and outbound are not identical; for this reason, I always try to sit on the AB side both inbound and outbound.
AB inbound and outbound to/from HNL has always been my suggestion. So no, you're not out of your mind.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
AB inbound and outbound to/from HNL has always been my suggestion. So no, you're not out of your mind.
Well, not this time anyway
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Ok I have just changed my seats from the HJ side of 763 ex LAX to AB side . I now have AB side of aircraft LAX HNL LAX. Looking forward to it.

Of course this might all go "out the window" if (or when) UA decide to clear our upgrades .
Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Port or Starboard for best view into HNL?

This may seem a dumb question, but my partner has never been to Hawaii and I really would like him to be able to get a great view as we approach HNL.

We are booked on United 1 ORD-HNL in a 777, and I have Premier so we are E+ currently in seats 22H&J on the starboard side.

Is this the best for the view coming into HNL?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
It depends on the approach needed. If trade winds go a certain way, you're on the right side. BUT the majority of approaches into HNL you would want to be on the A/B side to really enjoy the views. I've flown to HNL many times, and if you really want the best chance at the best experience, you need to change sides.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:03 pm

flying into Kauai -- help choosing seat for views

So I have plenty of seat options since I'm going in June. Flight is from PHX directly into LIH, operated by US Air.

Any suggestions as to which side to be on for a potentially better view? I'm guessing the left side if we're coming in the west direction, but right side if we're coming in the south direction. Not sure which we come in, however.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.