Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Anyone remember the Player Haters' Ball from the Chappelle Show?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:53 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
No.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Originally Posted by kokonutz
No.
Good talk, guys.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Well your blog is very different from things found on VFTW.
Thank you!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
We should stop letting the airlines divide us and play us AGAINST EACH OTHER. We should form a COMMON FRONT that fights against airline bait-n-switch and abuse and to promote the interests of all travel consumers!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
We should stop letting the airlines divide us and play us AGAINST EACH OTHER. We should form a COMMON FRONT that fights against airline bait-n-switch and abuse and to promote the interests of all travel consumers!
How do you propose we do that? Are you going to suggest "all travel consumers" like average Joe who needs to go from Seattle to Wenatchee stop flying AS because of their devaluation to EK F awards? Good luck with that.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
How do you propose we do that? Are you going to suggest "all travel consumers" like average Joe who needs to go from Seattle to Wenatchee stop flying AS because of their devaluation to EK F awards? Good luck with that.
All travelers who fly in premium cabin - whether paid by themselves, employer or through miles or upgrades - should stand together to demand a consistent and fair treatment and premium cabin seat availability. You may be paying for those first class tickets cash now, but you`ll eventually switch jobs or retire and will want your accumulated miles/points to have decent value.

No devaluations without minimum 6 months notice, and compensation for miles accumulated before devaluation
More available premium cabin award seats
More transparency for the availability of award seats
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:01 pm

All travelers who fly in premium cabin - whether paid by themselves, employer or through miles or upgrades - should stand together to demand a consistent and fair treatment and premium cabin seat availability. You may be paying for those first class tickets cash now, but you`ll eventually switch jobs or retire and will want your accumulated miles/points to have decent value.
You're severely overestimating the percentage of people that give a damn, and that percentage is probably not the percentage EK/AS wants to keep.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
When Alaska devalued the Emirates award flights I was amazed to see the blogosphere taking absolutely no responsibility. I now see the threads about "Buy Alaska miles-fly in First on Cathay Pacific". I am thinking my mid year 2017 Alaska will have to devalue Cathay awards.

I think it is possible that the blogosphere may destroy the premium travel benefits of an airline's award program. On the other hand...why does Alaska persist in selling miles?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by naples_flyer
When Alaska devalued the Emirates award flights I was amazed to see the blogosphere taking absolutely no responsibility. I now see the threads about "Buy Alaska miles-fly in First on Cathay Pacific". I am thinking my mid year 2017 Alaska will have to devalue Cathay awards.

I think it is possible that the blogosphere may destroy the premium travel benefits of an airline's award program. On the other hand...why does Alaska persist in selling miles?
because they can bait, then switch (devalue) later
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by naples_flyer
On the other hand...why does Alaska persist in selling miles?
Because it generates massive amounts of revenue for the company.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
because they can bait, then switch (devalue) later
I don't recall AS pimping their miles with a specific advertisement of "fly first class on EK for xx miles!"

You can't have a bait and switch when nothing has been promised as part of the offer. In fact, AS specifically has indicated in the terms and conditions of their program that they can change it at any time for any reason.

Does it suck? Yes. But to say they are selling miles to purposefully "bait and switch" customers out of CX or EK F redemptions is just ridiculous.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I don't recall AS pimping their miles with a specific advertisement of "fly first class on EK for xx miles!"

You can't have a bait and switch when nothing has been promised as part of the offer. In fact, AS specifically has indicated in the terms and conditions of their program that they can change it at any time for any reason.

Does it suck? Yes. But to say they are selling miles to purposefully "bait and switch" customers out of CX or EK F redemptions is just ridiculous.
I took that comment to mean: 'They can covert your cash into a currency whose value they control.'

Which is a situation ripe for a bait and switch. Which is what they did in response to travel hackers.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I took that comment to mean: 'They can covert your cash into a currency whose value they control.'

Which is a situation ripe for a bait and switch. Which is what they did in response to travel hackers.
No, you can voluntarily convert your cash into a currency whose value you are aware before purchase, is controlled by them. In this case they even offered refunds, despite this fact.

Yes, it sucks, but them's the breaks. Pouting on twitter is just wasting precious internet pixels. Same for trying to get real HVFs to boycott Alaska or Emirates over this.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat

You cannot use the "terms and conditions" to justify anything. Corporations afford to put anything in them knowing that most consumers don't read them and don't have the resources to contest them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.