Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thehowieee
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017 -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1825965-8th-annual-chicago-seminars-october-20-22-2017-a-2.html

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2016.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is live in post # 2. Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate if booked using seminar code.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7
Print Wikipost

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by livinginlilliput
For anyone who has been before, do most people stay through Sunday? We are driving up from Indy and thought about leaving Saturday after the last seminar.
Yes. There are sessions that run through the day on Sunday & they're well-attended. Some might miss a few of the afternoon ones if they need to catch a flight.

I can only speak for myself, but if I was going to take the time to give up part of a weekend & to learn more about credit cards, redeeming airline or hotel points, etc, I'd want to get the most out of it. In addition to the sessions on Sunday you'd miss, you'd miss the trading information/sharing experiences that happens Saturday night at the reception, dinner, bar, etc, which can be equally, if not more, valuable.

PS - Welcome to Flyertalk!

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by livinginlilliput
For anyone who has been before, do most people stay through Sunday? We are driving up from Indy and thought about leaving Saturday after the last seminar.

My friend and I are both pretty good at applying for credit cards, but I am hoping to learn how to actually redeem the points wisely for travel--most of the time I end up paying for tickets out of pocket even though I have 250K miles since the flights are cheap on Delta but the points redemption is high.
Personally, the time on Sunday is my favorite. Round table discussions where you spend plenty of time meeting more new friends and talking about your specific scenarios.

You'll get plenty of value Friday/Saturday, but personally, I'd stay if you can.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yes. There are sessions that run through the day on Sunday & they're well-attended. Some might miss a few of the afternoon ones if they need to catch a flight.

I can only speak for myself, but if I was going to take the time to give up part of a weekend & to learn more about credit cards, redeeming airline or hotel points, etc, I'd want to get the most out of it. In addition to the sessions on Sunday you'd miss, you'd miss the trading information/sharing experiences that happens Saturday night at the reception, dinner, bar, etc, which can be equally, if not more, valuable.

PS - Welcome to Flyertalk!

Cheers.
This is going to be an interesting event, since the landscape has changed almost 180 degrees..
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I'm driving from Detroit & I always stay through Sunday, usually leaving about 3 p.m.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott, Hyatt
Available Seminar Openings

I am interested in purchasing a ticket to this event but want to confirm that Shawn's "Beginner and Intermediate Reselling for Profit and Points" still has 2 seats open. Can anyone let me know? I'd hate to go all the way there only to not attend. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevenhkapt
I am interested in purchasing a ticket to this event but want to confirm that Shawn's "Beginner and Intermediate Reselling for Profit and Points" still has 2 seats open. Can anyone let me know? I'd hate to go all the way there only to not attend. Thanks!
There is always open seats or standing room at each session.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
As an fyi, there are 209 spots still open in the eventbrite registration. Maybe have MMS, Milevalue, etc do a post on Chicago Seminars since I haven't seen one show up yet?

Also, I agree that Sunday's wander-from-one-to-another roundtable discussions are definitely worthwhile, as then usually end up being huge Q&A sessions on that particular hotel or airline. Definitely worth staying for, as I'm surprised that some folks head out a bit early.

We've always stayed Sunday night too and then flown out Monday morning, so if anyone is up for dinner in the Holiday Inn bar/restaurant on Sunday night just let me know! Their food is actually very good.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmat
As an fyi, there are 209 spots still open in the eventbrite registration. Maybe have MMS, Milevalue, etc do a post on Chicago Seminars since I haven't seen one show up yet?

Also, I agree that Sunday's wander-from-one-to-another roundtable discussions are definitely worthwhile, as then usually end up being huge Q&A sessions on that particular hotel or airline. Definitely worth staying for, as I'm surprised that some folks head out a bit early.

We've always stayed Sunday night too and then flown out Monday morning, so if anyone is up for dinner in the Holiday Inn bar/restaurant on Sunday night just let me know! Their food is actually very good.
reading my mind
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Do A Pay per View

I would love to come to one of these conferences but cannot make this from where I live, Savannah.

I would gladly pay the same fee for a pay per view, where I could watch on my computer, and be able to ask questions by typing those in.

Is it possible to consider doing this in the future?

Why not do this in Savannah, GA in the spring. Savannah is one of the most gorgeous and unique places in the USA.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coasttal
I would love to come to one of these conferences but cannot make this from where I live, Savannah.

I would gladly pay the same fee for a pay per view, where I could watch on my computer, and be able to ask questions by typing those in.

Is it possible to consider doing this in the future?

Why not do this in Savannah, GA in the spring. Savannah is one of the most gorgeous and unique places in the USA.
As a Savannian, I'd love the convenience of it, but we both know that a central and large city location like Chicago makes things a lot easier for the masses.

Regarding tech, this isn't something we'd consider doing -- too much to ask for from a bunch of volunteers -- we have a hard enough time making sure the projectors in each room work!

Coordinate a lunch with me at Zunzi's, Kayak, or Collins Quarter and I'll be happy to chat points/miles with you. I live downtown off of Forsyth.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:56 am

I work here in Savannah and actually live over in SC. I work out on Mall Blvd., close to the Oglethorpe Mall. I would be glad to buy you lunch and talk miles. Email me at housleyengineering AT gmail DOT com
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Hyatt, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thehowieee
reading my mind
I would've loved to stay overnight on Sunday however there were no frontier flights until Tuesday, and my husband and I are already out of vacation days so we have to fly out Sunday evening (will miss 2pm onwards, our flight leaves at 4.45) Ah the life of a 9-5!

We actually live quite close to Savannah (well, ok, two hours), but if there is a weekend meetup happening let us know!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott, Hyatt
Someone mentioned the Sheraton Suites nearby already. I'm confirming that I'm staying there. Let me know if you want to ride share on Uber/Lyft, etc. to and from the hotel to the HI. 3k SPG per night is a great deal.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: WN, UA Silver, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Both of the Priority Pass lounges at ORD list International only. Is that enforced? I'd like to break in this new membership.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by montumatt
Both of the Priority Pass lounges at ORD list International only. Is that enforced? I'd like to break in this new membership.
Yes it is. T5 is not connected to the other terminals inside of security. Unless you have a boarding pass for a flight departing from T5 there will be no way to access those lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.