Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thehowieee
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017 -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1825965-8th-annual-chicago-seminars-october-20-22-2017-a-2.html

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2016.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is live in post # 2. Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate if booked using seminar code.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7
Print Wikipost

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:53 pm
formerly mattrendell27

first time attendee here. My flight gets into O'Hare at 7 PM on the Friday night. I decided to book the Sheraton Suites in Elk Grove for 3k SPG per night. It's a 3 mile Uber away from the HI. By the time I get to the Sheraton and then Uber to HI it'll easily be around 8:30 I imagine. At this point since presentations will be wrapping up is there any point in Ubering to the HI on Friday night? Are there usually Friday night festivities or do people usually retreat to their rooms after the Friday night presentations?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
first time attendee here. My flight gets into O'Hare at 7 PM on the Friday night. I decided to book the Sheraton Suites in Elk Grove for 3k SPG per night. It's a 3 mile Uber away from the HI. By the time I get to the Sheraton and then Uber to HI it'll easily be around 8:30 I imagine. At this point since presentations will be wrapping up is there any point in Ubering to the HI on Friday night? Are there usually Friday night festivities or do people usually retreat to their rooms after the Friday night presentations?
Usually small groups form on the spot to discuss, some people go to the bar in the hotel, some have dinner together in the hotel restaurant.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
You might consider going straight from ORD to host hotel and have them hold your bags. There will be some social activity. Also, you might find others headed to the Sheraton to continue networking with. Sheraton Suites (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is next door to the Holiday Inn with the Harry Careys.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ashishsg
Usually small groups form on the spot to discuss, some people go to the bar in the hotel, some have dinner together in the hotel restaurant.
Agree. People hang out until about midnight or so.

Originally Posted by PatMike
You might consider going straight from ORD to host hotel and have them hold your bags. There will be some social activity. Also, you might find others headed to the Sheraton to continue networking with. Sheraton Suites (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is next door to the Holiday Inn with the Harry Careys.
That's what I would do. The HI will hold your bags/you might be able to go to the latter part of the last session or just hang around the lobby/registration area/hallways & start chatting w/ people (or start the seminar off right by buying your charity raffle tickets from me ).

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:25 am

Weather this weekend at the event:

Fri: 61H 49L
Sat: 72H 63L
Sun: 69H 59L (50% rain)

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:37 am

I'm getting to the hotel (assuming Amtrak/Blue Line/hotel shuttle is on time) around 11:30-noon Friday. If anyone is at the hotel & wants to meet up for lunch in Shelby Campbell's (hotel restaurant/bar), please post in this thread or PM me.

I'm thinking lunch at 12:30'ish in Shelby Campbells, which is the onsite restaurant/bar.

Be great to meet other attendees, chat miles & points, charity raffle, etc. Please note that, unlike most, I know zippo about manufactured spend so no tips from me on that. If you're not available for lunch I'll be wandering around the hotel in the afternoon helping w/ set-up & starting to sell charity raffle tickets.

Even though this is my 7th Chicago Seminar Event & I've been to countless Flyertalk Dos, I know what it's like to be a first-timer/newbie & not knowing other folk. So feel free to stop me, say hi, introduce yourself, and chat. (I'm the blonde in the pink). I'll probably be wearing a baseball cap/hair in pony tail this year.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:09 pm

Charity Raffle Prizes

Someone asked about prizes for the charity raffle. Some of the prizes include (but are not limited to):

* Mtg planner points for the seminar event donated by Howie; approximately 146,000 IHG points!
* 2 night stay, Las Vegas Marriott
* 2 night stay, Las Vegas Courtyard Convention Center
* 2 night stay, Las Vegas Residence Inn Convention Center
* 2 Windows 10 notebook computers
* Kindle e-reader
* 3 $15 Amazon gift cards
* 1 Year Premium ExpertFlyer subscription
* 1 KVS Tool Gift Certificate for 6 months of the Diamond-level membership
* 3 AA Admirals Club passes
* Pair of AA System-wide upgrades
* Amenity airline kits
* Airline pajamas
* "Up in the Air" Blu-Ray DVD
* 3-piece packing cube sets
* Some Hawaii swag

and much more! I’m still getting donations & will have an updated list at the seminar this weekend. For those who have been before, you know that things like systemwide upgrades, drink chits, etc, often get donated during the event. Makes it crazy, but crazy fun & all for 3 great charities! So warm up those credit cards & buy lots of charity raffle tickets!

PS - If you have something you'd like to donate, please PM me or find me at the event or drop it off at the registration desk & tell them it's for the charity raffle and they'll make sure it gets to me.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 13, 2016 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:34 pm

I will be staying at the Hyatt Place Itasca/Chicago. I'm renting a car so if you need rides let me know and I will do my best to accommodate. I will also be leaving O'hare in my rental around 1-1:30pm. If you need a ride to the HI Elk Grove or HP let me know too.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Twitter #hashtag ?

What is the twitter #hashtag for this year?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:23 am

Charity Raffle Ticket Prices

Charity Raffle Ticket Prices

1 Ticket for $5
3 Tickets for $10
7 Tickets for $20
18 Tickets for $50
30 Tickets for $75
43 Tickets for $100

So warm up those credit cards or bring cash!!

The drawing is Sunday morning. If you won't be there Sunday you can still buy tickets. If you win I'll mail you the prize afterwards.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by PatMike
What is the twitter #hashtag for this year?
Why don't you or the other attendees come up w/ one/some ideas? What was it last year?

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:26 pm

Deleted message
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA flyer, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt stayer
Honestly, I just use #chicagoseminars
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:33 pm

Any Blue Jays fans interested in meeting at the host hotel restaurant, on Fri. & Sat. night. Hopefully the baseball game will be available to watch. I'm not there until Fri. Night, so perhaps someone who is there earlier can ask please. Cleveland fans are welcomed, with their Kleenex boxes.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by znke252
Any Blue Jays fans interested in meeting at the host hotel restaurant, on Fri. & Sat. night. Hopefully the baseball game will be available to watch. I'm not there until Fri. Night, so perhaps someone who is there earlier can ask please. Cleveland fans are welcomed, with their Kleenex boxes.
The bar has plenty of TV screens. I'm sure one of them will be on the Jays/Cleveland game.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.