Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thehowieee
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017 -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1825965-8th-annual-chicago-seminars-october-20-22-2017-a-2.html

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2016.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is live in post # 2. Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate if booked using seminar code.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7
Print Wikipost

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by beevers1
Where do I find the link to book the hotel for the forum in October in Chicago?
Welcome to Flyertalk! As mentioned in the wiki & the first few posts, the link for the hotel is in post #2 which also has the code.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25992347-post2.html

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:15 pm

Question to all:

This is my first time attending this seminar. I was wondering if I can get some transcripts or hand-outs from the session I won't be able to attend as I want to maximize my knowledge and information in this seminar. Is this possible, if yes, how do I get it?
Old May 19, 2016, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
dupe. move one.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apollo53
This is my first time attending this seminar. I was wondering if I can get some transcripts or hand-outs from the session I won't be able to attend as I want to maximize my knowledge and information in this seminar. Is this possible, if yes, how do I get it?
Sorry, this is not possible. If there is a session you're particularly interested in I would suggest attending that one and if you can't make it due to scheduling you could ask the speaker for their notes, but they won't be shared en masse.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed by the line up. It is mostly geared towards beginners/intermediate. I would have liked to see some more celebrities like Lucky, and some more advanced/edgy topics for intermediate/experienced flyers, like RTW tickets, advanced searching and booking tools/scripts, and even fuel dumping. Maybe next year?
Sorry you feel that way -- the event has always been geared towards beginner / intermediate. That said there are a few advanced topics such as the credit card discussion Stefan will cover and Miguel's topics on Aeroplan and Korean focusing on those under-covered programs.

As for celebrities, I'm sure Ben would chuckle at that comment -- but the more "celebrity-esque" past speakers and others have become, the harder it is for them to commit to a weekend. Remember, all of our speakers/presenters volunteer and receive no compensation for their time; committing a weekend is harder for some.

I hope you'll reconsider, where you'll undoubtedly pick up some great info from your fellow attendees.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Hyatt, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
This is my first Chicago seminar, and while I do agree that some of the talks are for 'beginners', there are some talks that caught my eye.

I bought tickets early to get the talks that I wanted (ie first dibs) in the hopes of learning more. Who knows, this may be a yearly thing for me going forward.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Don't forget. The sessions are only part of the experience. Many attendees learn from each other in hallway, meal, break & drink conversations. Some of those conversations are advanced; some not. To me the experience has always been a combo of sessions/hallway/meal/bar conversations*.

* Well when I've attended such events before my responsibilities. Now I'm so busy saying ge-e-e-t your charity raffle tickets I hardly have time to talk to anyone

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
All I want to see is Howie the computer guy., and maybe Rick.

This is my first run at MS...
Old May 19, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by satman40
All I want to see is Howie the computer guy., and maybe Rick.

This is my first run at MS...
LOL. someone actually wants to see me ... and maybe Rick. Oh, I'm going to tell him this story tomorrow morning. HAHA ^^^^
Old May 19, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Cool, I use to do A little bit on the 27128

Rick is cool 2....
Old May 20, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Smile

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Don't forget. The sessions are only part of the experience. Many attendees learn from each other in hallway, meal, break & drink conversations. Some of those conversations are advanced; some not. To me the experience has always been a combo of sessions/hallway/meal/bar conversations*.

* Well when I've attended such events before my responsibilities. Now I'm so busy saying ge-e-e-t your charity raffle tickets I hardly have time to talk to anyone

Cheers.
*Not true Sharon.You always find time to talk to me.
See you at ( my 5th) ORD Seminar.
Cheers
Michael
Old May 20, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by thehowieee
Sorry you feel that way -- the event has always been geared towards beginner / intermediate. That said there are a few advanced topics such as the credit card discussion Stefan will cover and Miguel's topics on Aeroplan and Korean focusing on those under-covered programs.

As for celebrities, I'm sure Ben would chuckle at that comment -- but the more "celebrity-esque" past speakers and others have become, the harder it is for them to commit to a weekend. Remember, all of our speakers/presenters volunteer and receive no compensation for their time; committing a weekend is harder for some.

I hope you'll reconsider, where you'll undoubtedly pick up some great info from your fellow attendees.
Thanks, I didn't say I am not coming, I am coming.... I would generally suggest trying to recruit some presenters on advanced topics of general interest, certain niche ffp programs are ok but I don't know how many attendees will have (or want/can transfer to) aeroplan or Korean miles, I suspect few...

Also, are we doing anything about the plastic chairs at the seminar, these are not very comfortable, especially after the first couple of hours...Unless we are trying to invoke MRing in coach, off course, but I think we really want Premium economy and above...
Old May 21, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Looks like 320 registrations are still available. We're nowhere near October yet of course, but looking forward to Frugal Travel Guy, MMS, etc posting a few articles in the future that will no doubt make those #'s drop fast.

Q1: I see in the wiki that breakfast is included if staying on site again. But will we be having a group / hotel provided lunch again Sat and Sun?

Q2: If I have some "donate for charity raffle" items, do I need to let you know details beforehand or just show up with the items?
Old May 21, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmat
Looks like 320 registrations are still available. We're nowhere near October yet of course, but looking forward to Frugal Travel Guy, MMS, etc posting a few articles in the future that will no doubt make those #'s drop fast.

Q1: I see in the wiki that breakfast is included if staying on site again. But will we be having a group / hotel provided lunch again Sat and Sun?

Q2: If I have some "donate for charity raffle" items, do I need to let you know details beforehand or just show up with the items?
1) yes
2) show up
Old May 22, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I've just registered and booked my hotel reservation. This will be my very first seminar and I'm really looking forward to it!

Perhaps I should have done more research but I wanted to get the registration done. I had to choose between two topics that I REALLY, REALLY want to hear (Introduction to Mileage Runs and Using expertflyer as an expert). I chose the mileage run topic. However, on second thought, I've been doing MR's for years and could probably learn more in the expert flyer discussion. If one wants to switch, is this possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.