Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Very few can actually take kvetching to an "art form level," I come from that family.
Oh, I wholly agree. It is rather poorly done here. But it is what it is.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Very few can actually take kvetching to an "art form level," I come from that family.
I had to google that word
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Retracted

Last edited by LPDAL; Nov 30, 2015 at 10:35 am Reason: Coffee
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
TravelBloggerBuzz already exists.
That was my thought!!!! @:-)@:-)@:-) ^
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
TravelBloggerBuzz already exists.
Thanks for referring to this blog. I didn't know about this one but I do like it
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by sbm12
People here kvetch incessantly that the "travel" blogs are just CC-pushing schmucks. And then they kvetch when those sites try to actually be like travel blogs.
Because, they are, indeed, solely credit card pushing shmucks. Except for the fact that they never directly state they are trying to sell you credit cards, instead opting to deem themselves de facto travel experts to hook readers into clicking on affiliate links.

Note that I am talking about the huge commercial blogs. The Points Guy, OMAAT, etc. Nobody here is bashing small - time blogs which are written for the joy of the author on weekends and maybe for a -little bit- of side earning. Please don't play semantics games.

Anybody who thinks the big commercial blogs are trying to do anything other than sell you credit cards and / or other services has got to be kidding themselves or has been fooled into believing the malarkey that Lucky or Brian or whatever big name blogger posts.

-LPDAL
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Does anyone know if TPG's event in Chicago is open for anyone to sign up? or only for those that win tix?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: All of Them
You have to win tickets.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:48 am

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/12/abor...t-from-the-us/

Seems like they are back to taking free flights again.

As Qatar Airways doesn’t yet offer scheduled A350 service from the US, it wasn’t possible to pay cash or redeem miles for a ticket on this charter flight. However, as TPG policy is to not accept free travel, we will be “purchasing” the flight in the form of a reader giveaway. Later this month, we will give away 67,500 AAdvantage miles, which matches the award redemption rate for JFK to Doha. The winner will be able to use these miles to book a business-class Qatar flight of their own, or for any other redemption they wish.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
They've accepted free non-public availability on a non-public flight for sure, as well as a better security and ground experience than would be had on any other flight with QR.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/12/abor...t-from-the-us/

As Qatar Airways doesn’t yet offer scheduled A350 service from the US, it wasn’t possible to pay cash or redeem miles for a ticket on this charter flight. However, as TPG policy is to not accept free travel, we will be “purchasing” the flight in the form of a reader giveaway. Later this month, we will give away 67,500 AAdvantage miles, which matches the award redemption rate for JFK to Doha. The winner will be able to use these miles to book a business-class Qatar flight of their own, or for any other redemption they wish.
What an Orwellian thing for them to say. Why not just be honest and acknowledge it for what it clearly was.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
They've accepted free non-public availability on a non-public flight for sure, as well as a better security and ground experience than would be had on any other flight with QR.
So yea, they accepted a free flight.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Out of curiosity, what's the big deal if he accepts free flights?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CMK10
You can't trust a review of a comped flight with special service as objective. From here on out, any review of QR should be taken with a grain of salt (similar to his comments on SPG properties) because of the clear conflict of interest.

In most journalistic or review - based professions, there is a firm standard that you don't accept freebies from those you are reporting on.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CMK10
They claim that they don't as policy.

I could not care less personally about a blog accepting free flights (as long as it is mentioned in any review), if I ran a blog I'd take all the free flights I could get . But don't institute a policy and then try to work around it when it suits you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.