Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:07 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by josephstern
I don't think we'll see long-lasting change. These guys and their ilk are basically not accountable to anyone and they're just looking for new customers who can sign up for a credit card on some lofty pretenses. They aren't looking to build a steady long-term reader base. Outrage is momentary and will fade.
Certainly the advice from the PR folks at Bankrate are saying 'hunker down and wait for it to blow over...'
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This would be a nice opportunity to see the thresholds of the bloggers. Lets say Bonvoy/Amex/Chase bumps the commission the pay to bloggers for their CCs by x $. At what point would they delete their critical posts of TPG? and at what point would they punch out 5 posts praising the virtues of the card/program? What if Marriott doesn't send their newsletter readers to the Freddie voting?

In any case such potshots at TPG by VFTW or OMAAT don't help them. All TPG needs to do is delete the 'offensive' blog post and the other blogs just lost some value because Bankrate won't buy them. The SEO generated fizzles out in 1-2 months. TPG's staff is smart enough not to respond to tweets or link back to the articles.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
DELETED

Last edited by Raffles; Mar 22, 2019 at 3:28 am
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Why did you delete it Raffles? Anyone got a screen shot?

The comments in the Nancy article are up.

Guys, as the blogger who started it all said a long time ago: "It's ALL about conversions"
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:32 pm

The company I work for used to have a community relations manager. That was a long time ago. Now the title is called marketing administrator. TPG site is no more than a marketing outlet for the banks, credit card companies, and airline and hotel industries. If you want the devil portrayed as a saint, who you gonna call?
Markie and 84fiero like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The exposure of Mr. Kelly continues: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-cre...71ffbc49b9438a
While it doesn't explicitly address the conflicts of interest in the "advice", it makes quite clear that Brian Kelly is not in the business of providing objective travel advice, but rather in selling credit cards and his own image.

I love the conclusion:
"The price tag for the black-tie affair was about $1.5 million, according to a person familiar with the matter. TPG paid about $250,000, the person said.

The banks and hotels paid the rest."
84fiero and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The most shocking statement in the article (among many) I found to be this:

TPG helped spawn a broader ecosystem of customers who swap tips online about how to game the system, wringing rewards out of cards before abandoning them..."

SERIOUSLY?????

I would not be surprised if this writer ends up getting a job there one of these days..
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Strange that the journo didn't go a bit deeper into the murky world of Red Ventures and Bankrate... also the award shows make a profit and usually cover all their costs thru sponsorships. I seriously doubt TPG made a 250k loss on the event.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Strange that the journo didn't go a bit deeper into the murky world of Red Ventures and Bankrate... also the award shows make a profit and usually cover all their costs thru sponsorships. I seriously doubt TPG made a 250k loss on the event.
That was a puff piece written by one of his friends working on contract at the WSJ.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Brian hobnobbing with the Bonvoy folks at the Oscars certainly feels like a tipping point.
Quoted for posterity...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
That was a puff piece written by one of his friends working on contract at the WSJ.
Is that speculation or do you have insight? It doesn't strike me as a puff piece, and is actually pretty snarky. While it doesn't go into the consumer fraud angle, I would have been surprised if the WSJ had....
I don't think it's a puff piece, since the credit card companies all already know/bribe him, and nothing in it would push the financially literate consumers who read the WSJ to consume his services.*

*His services are of course to the credit card companies but he deceives travelers into thinking he is providing them a service of course.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gpapadop

TPG helped spawn a broader ecosystem of customers who swap tips online about how to game the system, wringing rewards out of cards before abandoning them..."
Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
The company I work for used to have a community relations manager. That was a long time ago. Now the title is called marketing administrator. TPG site is no more than a marketing outlet for the banks, credit card companies, and airline and hotel industries. If you want the devil portrayed as a saint, who you gonna call?
The industry/company apologists/sympathizers — a group that includes, but is definitely not limited to, the commercial bloggers operating under a monetization system that encourages anti-consumer shenanigans for purposes of making money or getting corporate information. Even on FT and other social media outlets there are people who tend to be company/industry apologists despite not being in the business of making money directly from their commentary in the travel space. For examples of both, just look at all the cheerleaders for WOW’s demise and at the grave-dancing going on about that Icelandic carrier going under.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:07 am

We never accept free flights....

kokonutz, 84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:13 am

Anxiously waiting for TPG to update their own Valuation Guide to reflect the new United Mileage Plus changes for dynamic pricing and of course the Chase Ultimate Rewards points too.

Don't be shocked if they go...up LOL
84fiero and Long Train Runnin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.