Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by rehoult
As for the level of knowledge at the basic one, it really ranges. Most know a little, some know a lot, but there are also many starting with near to zero knowledge. We have to define CPM and why it matters, we have to explain SDC and why it's often a useful benefit, we have to literally walk people through a CC application. That is obviously annoying for people who know it already, but OTOH, the people trying to learn the basics find it very frustrating if we don't explain everything. It's very hard to cater to such a wide audience; hopefully we'll be able to do it better with the extra speakers and sessions that a larger event allows us to work with.

I think FTU is a great way to meet people in the hobby and catch up with old friends, especially if you have gone to past FTU events. However, I went to FTU advanced Chicago back in July and I met someone who asked me what a United 1K was. I answered the question but in my head I was like... this is advanced?

Either way, all the presenters will answer any questions you have especially if you ask them during their session versus 1-on-1. I did notice the speakers are always the same and I wish the organizers at least added non-bloggers (or minor bloggers) as co-presenters or co-speakers in some sessions to freshen it up. I'm sure there must be other FTers out there who are on the same level of knowledge as Lucky or Gary but chose not to be bloggers.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by trigleek
I think FTU is a great way to meet people in the hobby and catch up with old friends, especially if you have gone to past FTU events. However, I went to FTU advanced Chicago back in July and I met someone who asked me what a United 1K was. I answered the question but in my head I was like... this is advanced?

Either way, all the presenters will answer any questions you have especially if you ask them during their session versus 1-on-1. I did notice the speakers are always the same and I wish the organizers at least added non-bloggers (or minor bloggers) as co-presenters or co-speakers in some sessions to freshen it up. I'm sure there must be other FTers out there who are on the same level of knowledge as Lucky or Gary but chose not to be bloggers.
We brought some lesser known bloggers to the event this weekend and it was quite well received. We'll try and keep that up, especially when they have specialized knowledge.

As for asking what 1K is.... prime example of the difficulty we have trying to organize these events. We advertise everywhere we can that it's an advanced event for people who have been doing this for years, and yet some beginners still signed up. Short of making people take a test to buy a ticket, there isn't much more we can do on that front.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by PWMTrav

To be honest with you, I've paid less for 12 hrs of CLE, and we're required to do that.
But you don't get booze and breakfast at CLE events.

(then again, for $250 you could buy a lot of booze and breakfasts)

I'm probably not going to register for this event, but as it's a few miles from my house I may take up a post in Lobbibar and say hi to old friends. Heck, maybe I'll arrange a Classic FlyerTalk Do in Lobbibar (no admission fee, byob) one of the nights!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Many have suggested that the sidebar conversations are where the real value of these events comes from. It is hard for me to believe that an event with 1500 people is going to offer an intimate enough setting where such conversations will be readily accessible to a newbie. <shrug>
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
However, I went to FTU advanced Chicago back in July and I met someone who asked me what a United 1K was. I answered the question but in my head I was like... this is advanced?
It's also possible the person may have been an exclusively AA/Oneworld or DL/Skyteam flyer and simply not have been familiar with UA's specific elite titles. Unless he just didn't even know conceptually what elite levels are, which would indicate a newbie.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
But you don't get booze and breakfast at CLE events.

(then again, for $250 you could buy a lot of booze and breakfasts)

I'm probably not going to register for this event, but as it's a few miles from my house I may take up a post in Lobbibar and say hi to old friends. Heck, maybe I'll arrange a Classic FlyerTalk Do in Lobbibar (no admission fee, byob) one of the nights!
Ah, a lot of the ABA "Institute" type CLEs have breakfast and booze. I haven't been to one a while since I moved out of the DC area, but the price wasn't always too bad on those.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by satman40
I learn something every time, and many times it is from someone in the audience.

It is often more about the people you meet.
Have you ever been to FT Dos? You get to meet other FTers over a nice meal, a few drinks or in some interesting places and you can discuss miles and points among other things. You obviously have to pay for your food/drinks and your travel but you don't have to pay a fee to attend.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Have you ever been to FT Dos? You get to meet other FTers over a nice meal, a few drinks or in some interesting places and you can discuss miles and points among other things.
+1

As an organizer I'm obviously partial to FTUs, and think they bring a lot of knowledge to the table in a structured setting. But the smaller community events are loads of fun too; I've being to smaller Dos in YYC, YYZ, NYC, COS and SFO, and always have a great time. Hope to make another YYZ Do in the near future.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40
I learn something every time, and many times it is from someone in the audience.

Have you ever been to FT Dos?

Last edited by satman40; Sep 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Heck, maybe I'll arrange a Classic FlyerTalk Do in Lobbibar (no admission fee, byob) one of the nights!
^
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
^
Hm. I get back from Louisville on the 4th! Bring Lexie on down and let's DO it!

It could feature:

Seth Miller's Bloody Mary with slider garnish (invited)
Patrick Stewart's scotch ice bucket challenge response (invited)
kokonutz' blow up his South Beach diet Guinness (invited)
whlinder's Virginia wine (invited)
I012609's Marlborough Savignon Blanc (invited)

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:31 pm

Just an FYI that the FTU Advanced portion of this event is now sold out. There are however still tickets available to the FTU event.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:43 pm

Thanks rehoult! I'm curious whether lunch and the cocktail social are the same for both FTU & FTU Advanced. I have a friend who is registered for FTU Advanced and we might have a newbie who is interested in going to FTU.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:31 pm

Thanks rehoult! I'm curious whether lunch and the cocktail social are the same for both FTU & FTU Advanced. I have a friend who is registered for FTU Advanced and we might have a newbie who is interested in going to FTU.
Top shelf for the FTUA, rail for the FTU?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:12 am

@kokonutz, good one! Grey goose vodka for FTUA and Absolut vodka for FTU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.