Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK MBNA credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Did anyone get the cards. The pins arrived a few days ago but no cards yet???
Yes I got the cards a few days ago.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Skywards silver, etihad
Just used my Amex to book a flight and note it is 1 mile for every £1, and wondered what advantages the visa has ? It seems the Amex has the better benefits for spending, so wondering if I am missing something as I won't use the visa at this rate ??
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:02 pm
m27

The Visa is just there for places that don't accept Amex. Keep using the Amex wherever possible
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulitso
Just used my Amex to book a flight and note it is 1 mile for every £1, and wondered what advantages the visa has ? It seems the Amex has the better benefits for spending, so wondering if I am missing something as I won't use the visa at this rate ??
I assume you used your amex card to book a flight on EK. Shouldn't you have received 2 miles for every £ spent on EK even with a standard card or 4 miles per £ spent on EK with the elite card.

And with the visa card it should be 2 miles for each £ for EK flights with elite card and 1 mile for each £ for EK flights with the standard card
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:34 pm
m27

I assume you used your amex card to book a flight on EK. Shouldn't you have received 2 miles for every £ spent on EK even with a standard card or 4 miles per £ spent on EK with the elite card.

And with the visa card it should be 2 miles for each £ for EK flights with elite card and 1 mile for each £ for EK flights with the standard card
assuming paulitso was mistaken? what you said is correct.

I spoke to MBNA as I wanted to check if I get charged for using paypal (I read various old threads that said Paypal used to do the transaction in $'s for Amex). The lady on the phone said that there should be no charges, did 3 transactions on Sunday waiting for them to show up! I also asked when my miles balance will show up, she said after the first statement has been issued, at present it shows no mention of miles.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by m27
assuming paulitso was mistaken? what you said is correct.

I spoke to MBNA as I wanted to check if I get charged for using paypal (I read various old threads that said Paypal used to do the transaction in $'s for Amex). The lady on the phone said that there should be no charges, did 3 transactions on Sunday waiting for them to show up! I also asked when my miles balance will show up, she said after the first statement has been issued, at present it shows no mention of miles.
My other (non Emirates) MBNA Amex and Visa card account does not show the miles for the month until after the end of the statement period. You have to go to Statements and view the statement that has been generated, the miles are shown at the bottom of the statement...

AMEX MILES | 3,018.73
VISA MILES | 652.59
BONUS MILES | 57.00
ADJUSTED MILES | .00
TOTAL MILES | 3,729.31
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:40 pm

I registered my cards online and I've started using them.I checked out the website for MBNA. Couldn't see my Skywards number ( to which my miles should be credited to) anywhere.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Whats the length of time it takes from purchase through to appearing in the Skywards Account?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:08 am

My MBNA Amex/Visa statement period cuts off at the end of the month and the miles hit the account 2nd - 4th of the following month.

02-Jul-2013 MBNA Consumer Credit Card on 02-Jul-2013 00:00:00.001 3,729

Also in this account I do not see my FF number anywhere.

Last edited by easterisland; Jul 10, 2013 at 3:17 am
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:51 am
m27

when I gave them a call I also checked my skywards number and it was fine
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:49 pm

Has anyone managed to buy an EK ticket using the Amex card? Tried it multiple times and wouldn't go through . Contacted an agent who said it was probably because it was a new card and agreed to put a temporary override on fraud prevention and asked me to try after an hour.

Tried again after an hour and still didn't work. Contacted MBNA again (had to again go through the irritating voice recognition thingy) and got a miss know it all this time.
I was told that the AMEX cards are not accepted for the EK booking .Wouldn't listen to any of my explanation regarding the fact that its an EK co branded card and they themselves claim that you earn 4 miles per £ on EK bookings made by AMEX.

Finally got fed up and booked using the visa card as I didn't want to lose the ticket .

Seriously considering contacting trading standards as this seems to be a recurrent problem with MBNA issued AMEX cards.

Check out the thread on the BA forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-amex-1.html

Last edited by ukdoctor; Jul 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
I was told that the AMEX cards are not accepted for the EK booking
Routinely use my Amex to buy EK tickets online (India issued).

Seriously considering contacting trading standards as this seems to be a recurrent problem with MBNA issued AMEX cards.
Could be that.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Routinely use my Amex to buy EKtickets online (India issued).

P
Could be that.
I've been using my spg amex as well for a while so I knew that it was nonsense.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:45 am

I used my EK Amex to pay for an Emirates Tours (Holidays) booking, I am just hoping that I get the same x4 points as booking flights, I will find out at the end of next week when the statement appears.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by easterisland
I used my EK Amex to pay for an Emirates Tours (Holidays) booking, I am just hoping that I get the same x4 points as booking flights, I will find out at the end of next week when the statement appears.
You should be fine as long as you use the UK websites. I went through the T&C carefully.

I'm still waiting to see if someone has managed to book a ticket via emirates uk using the MBNA Emirates AMEX. (The MBNA VISA works)

Telephone booking might have worked in my case but then I would have lost the cashback via quidco/topcashabck for online bookings.

It does look like a passkey issue with the MBNA AMEX as mentioned on the BA thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.