Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sabbasolo
Feel free to pitch in with edits for content, additional posts and threads to be linked in the wiki, or general clean up - but please be as accurate and clear as possible!

WELCOME TO THE FLYERTALK EL AL MATMID THREAD! THIS IS A COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED WIKI FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EL AL, MATMID, ELAL.COM, AND THE LY FT THREAD. PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING!

This thread is FLAME-FREE! Please recognize newbies who are posting here as well, and respond accordingly!!

Help me understand FlyerTalk and EL AL Matmid Forum lingo!

Flying with EL AL?
Frequent flyer with EL AL?
Need to contact EL AL?
Want general information about EL AL?
EL AL Online:

Important Threads From the Matmid forum!
Another FT thread: Traveling in Israel, for help navigating transportation in Israel

And from EL AL's website: Fly a Lot? EL AL Offers You a Ticket Pack
Upgrade to Premium Classes On-Board Your Flight!

Have a question? Do a SEARCH! Before posting a new thread, search first! There are 2 ways of searching FlyerTalk!
  1. Inside the specific forum, click on "Search this Forum" for results from within the El Al Matmid forum. To search all of FlyerTalk, click on "Search" located above the forum.
  2. By using Google. Duh! To search FT using Google, first type "site:www.flyertalk.com," and then a space, and then type what you want to search. (Leave out the quotation marks and comma!)
Searched? Can't find what you're looking for? Posting a new thread is simple. Try giving a descriptive title, and try not reviving really old threads! Note of caution: Posting in mega-threads (threads that may have been merged, or have posts from a wide range of years,) may not yield results.
Print Wikipost

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by peeyurr
I am debating to purchase a ticket with EL AL (economy special fares) from EWR to TLV or from United. I tried to look at the EL AL point system, but could not figure out how many points I would receive from this flight.

I wonder if I should just fly with united and earn miles there that I know I can use.

Any suggestions? If this would be my only flight with EL AL, what I could do with the points accrued? Thanks in advance.
If your sole consideration is earning miles or points to eventually use and you're not going to be flying this route and/or airlines often (besides for this one off flight), I recommend UA in this case
Old May 17, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: QR, BA, IB, JJ
Hi, if I am a Silver member and flying from HKG to TLV on Class Z, and then a separate ticket from TLV to LAX on Class A, what is the total points that I will get? Flights are both LY coded and operated.

TIA!
Old May 18, 2016, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by jsaMNL
Hi, if I am a Silver member and flying from HKG to TLV on Class Z, and then a separate ticket from TLV to LAX on Class A, what is the total points that I will get? Flights are both LY coded and operated.

TIA!
Did you check here? http://www.elal.com/en/FrequentFlyer...L-Flights.aspx
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: Way Too Many
Gold Check In and Lounge?

Hello,

I have just become Gold on EL AL.

My newbie questions are:

Can I check-in on an economy ticket in at the business class check-in or equivalent? If so, where is this check-in section at Ben Gurion?

Do I get access to myself and a guest on the same flight to the King David Club TLV?

I have a flight with AA from NYC-ZRH-TLV connecting with EL AL at ZRH in Y - Do I get access (and a guest) to a lounge at ZRH with the Gold card.

According to the KDL thread there is a lounge in ZRH do Golds with guest on Y get access?

Thanks to all those answer.

J

Last edited by jonnny; Jul 14, 2016 at 12:03 am Reason: Lounge in ZRH
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
To answer your questions jonnny

Yes, As a GL you can use the 'Shalom' service regardless of your class of travel.
It's located at the very far right of the departure level at T3 (the actual check in desks are in a separate area behind the regular desks).

You get KDL access, and as a GL are allowed to take in up to 20 guests per year.

You certainly get access to the lounge at ZRH, but note it's a 3rd party lounge, so I'm not sure what the guests access rules are there (someone else here might be able to clarify that).
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:45 am

Thanks Clubman

It has been a very long while since I have flown with LY.

J
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by clubman
You certainly get access to the lounge at ZRH, but note it's a 3rd party lounge, so I'm not sure what the guests access rules are there (someone else here might be able to clarify that).
I went to the ZRH lounge many times before they changed the rules about companions. In those days you could enter with a guest.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is the Gold lounge in ZRH still the Panorama Lounge?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
What seats in C can I expect on the 763 LTN-TLV?
Are all the 763s lie flat?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:13 am

ZRH Lounge

Hi,

Visited a few days ago as Gold in economy and was allowed a guest, it is the Aspire lounge in E gates of the airport. Was adequate for the few hours connection wait.

J
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by jonnny
Hi,

Visited a few days ago as Gold in economy and was allowed a guest, it is the Aspire lounge in E gates of the airport. Was adequate for the few hours connection wait.

J
How does it compare to the old Panorama lounge?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:28 am

Haven't been to the Panorama

The lounge itself is next to the Emirates lounge on the second floor of the E gates section. There is a nice open balcony area overlooking the runway so great for Plane spotters.

Bathroom was outside of lounge but near. Food options in the morning consisted of croissants, rolls and baguette alongside fruit juices and the usual drinks. It was clean and quiet when I was there.

J
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
What seats in C can I expect on the 763 LTN-TLV?
Are all the 763s lie flat?
They are recliner style, not lie-flat

Originally Posted by jonnny
Haven't been to the Panorama

The lounge itself is next to the Emirates lounge on the second floor of the E gates section. There is a nice open balcony area overlooking the runway so great for Plane spotters.

Bathroom was outside of lounge but near. Food options in the morning consisted of croissants, rolls and baguette alongside fruit juices and the usual drinks. It was clean and quiet when I was there.

J
Kinda sounds like the Panorama
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by Houminer
How does it compare to the old Panorama lounge?
It's better. It's much larger, for once, but it also serves many airlines so it can be crowded. About the same F&B offerings as far as I could see. The balcony is a great feature if the weather is nice enough.

No showers. Restrooms are public and right outside the lounge. So, same as with the old lounge.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I do not have a Flycard, so when I search for availability using points from say TLV to JFK, it shows on e.g. 20 March , no availablility. But from my friend's account, it is available as he has a flycard.
Now, When he goes to book, it shows as booking in Class H (rather than class E which are regular redemptions) which is flex.
Now, when looking at the Elal mileage earning chart, it shows that it is possible to earn points from flights booked in class H.
My question is, would a redemption flight such as this, booked into class H, earn miles? Or does the system somehow recognise that this was a mileage ticket?
Because with Air France, for example, they have different levels of redemption too, and if the lowest redemption tickets have gone, and therefore your ticket is booked into a higher class for more miles, it earns miles (though not many).

I just got off the phone with an agent who confirmed that it would not earn miles, but want to know if anyone had experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.