Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines and LY / EL AL Israel Airlines Codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
El Al partnership ended November 2014

Effective November 1, 2014, flights taken on El Al ceased accruing AAdvantage miles due to the discontinuation of American's frequent flyer relationship with El Al. (BUT read post 121 and onward.)

All award travel on El Al had to be booked and ticketed by October 31, 2014. Travel was valid one year after ticket date, and had to be completed by October 31, 2015. No changes to the El Al segments were allowed during that period.

AA and El Al may continue to code share on some flights.

(Source)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

American Airlines Announces Codesharing With EL AL Israel Airlines

FORT WORTH, Texas, Dec. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines, a founding member of the global oneworld(R) Alliance, today announced it will apply to the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) for authorization to begin codeshare cooperation with EL AL Israel Airlines. The application proposes that codesharing operations begin on Feb. 1, 2008.

Under the proposal, American would place its AA designator code on EL AL flights to Tel Aviv from New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), Los Angeles, Miami and Newark, as well as on EL AL fights to Tel Aviv from European gateways in London Heathrow, Paris, Madrid, Zurich and Rome.

In turn, EL AL would place its LY designator code on certain of American Airlines domestic flights out of El Al's North American gateways -- JFK, Miami, Los Angeles, Newark and Toronto. El Al would also codeshare on American's flights between the United States and London Heathrow, Paris, Madrid, Zurich and Rome.

"EL AL is a high quality, world-class airline that will provide our passengers and shippers with additional choices and convenient service to Tel Aviv," said Henry Joyner, American's Senior Vice President -- Planning. "We also look forward to serving EL AL's passengers on our American flights in many of our North American markets. We're especially pleased to be codesharing with EL AL into, and out of, our new $1.3 billion state-of-the-art JFK terminal."

"We are proud to join forces with American Airlines, a company whose history, size and range of services speak for themselves," said EL AL CEO Haim Romano. "The authorization of EL AL's codeshare agreement with American Airlines will open up new horizons, create a wide range of possibilities, and enable EL AL passengers to fly on LY code -- with convenience and maximum flexibility -- between Israel and North America."

American and EL AL already have a frequent flyer program relationship. American's AAdvantage members may earn or redeem AAdvantage miles on EL AL flights.

About American Airlines

American Airlines is the world's largest airline. American, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection(R) airlines serve 250 cities in over 40 countries with more than 4,000 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 1,000 aircraft. American's award-winning Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld(R) Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve nearly 700 destinations in over 140 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection(R) airlines, AA.com and AAdvantage are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE:AMR)

About EL AL Israel Airlines

EL AL is Israel's national airline. The company was founded in 1948, just a few months after the establishment of the State of Israel. EL AL was government-owned until it underwent privatization in 2004. EL AL operates over 400 weekly flights to 38 destinations around the world -- in Europe, Africa, the Far East and North America -- including connecting flights to another 600 destinations. EL AL is the largest carrier on routes between Israel and North America, and it flies directly to five North American airports -- JFK in New York, Newark, Miami, Los Angeles and Toronto -- for a total of 27 weekly North America-bound flights, including some 17 to the greater New York area. The company maintains a fleet of 37 passenger planes, two of which are new 777-200s that it received in the summer of 2007. It recently announced its intention to buy a fifth 747-200 and continue equipping 737s. The EL AL Matmid Frequent Flyers Club numbers nearly 600,000 members, about a fourth of whom are outside of Israel, mainly in North America. The club maintains strategic partnerships with credit card companies in Israel, the US and Europe, as well as with many tourist organizations.

AmericanAirlines(R) We know why you fly(R)
Current AMR Corp. releases can be accessed on the Internet.
The address is http://www.aa.com

Source: American Airlines
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I didn't noticed know AA has join codesharing with LY this time. They are already relationship frequent flyer with AAdvantage Miles. I know last few months ago DL has been end relationship with LY. Now on, DL will keep own metal nonstop from JFK/ATL-TLV for awhile. I'm sure if LY will continuation codeshare with AA for a long time.

What about does AA will codesharing flights with LY from TLV-MIA/LAX/JFK, am I right?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
MAZEL TOV!!

Now I will be able to fly AA to LHR or other gateway then LY and get FULL elite miles PLUS bonuses instead of BA.

For those that don't know, LY has some of the best food in coach! (they must have some grandmother in the back doing the cooking)
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:57 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
This is a really nice Hanukkah present! And about time, too! ^^
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Just in time to use VIP to TLV. I can't wait!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sholey
Just in time to use VIP to TLV. I can't wait!
You cannot use an EVIP on a AA codeshare flight, only on AA metal. These flights will be operated by LY.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just in time to use VIP to TLV.
How are you planning on doing that on AA metal? AA does not fly to TLV, and you can't use systemwides on codeshares.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Oops! I thought you could use a VIP on non AA metal IF it was a codeshare.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Oops! I thought you could use a VIP on non AA metal IF it was a codeshare.
Unforunately, not. BUT, at least you can get the mileage on the codeshares as if it was an AA flight (eqm's, bonus miles, etc.) as opposed to the 25% stuff on BA, etc.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
My mileage run(s) for 2008! This will finally get me to buy a ticket to TLV and use mileage elsewhere. Nice Channukah gift!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
food for thought

I too am very happy for the new arrangement as I fly frequently to Europe and then on to the States. But we must remember that when Swiss had a codeshare with AA including from TLV to JFK via ZRH the prices for the AA codeshare tickets were outrageously high compared to flying on the same flight on a Swiss ticket. I am sure that it is the same on other airlines and routes throughout the world
So the question basically is how much extra are we willing to pay for miles, EQP, EQM etc above what we would pay to fly on the original metal's flight number?

Of course Happy Chanukah to all !!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by badatz
...we must remember that when Swiss had a codeshare with AA including from TLV to JFK via ZRH the prices for the AA codeshare tickets were outrageously high compared to flying on the same flight on a Swiss ticket. I am sure that it is the same on other airlines and routes throughout the world

So the question basically is how much extra are we willing to pay for miles, EQP, EQM etc above what we would pay to fly on the original metal's flight number?...
Indeed a valid concern, but you can't extrapolate from one data point to "I am sure that it is the same on other airlines and routes throughout the world." I've flown a lot of oneWorld code-shares in Europe, Latin America from Mexico to Chile, Asia and on to Australia. There is no pattern as to which is higher (I'd say the operating airline is probably cheaper more than half the time, but is often not) or by how much (trivial to significant). A given route may have more of a pattern, that eliminates some of the variables such as the specifics of the code-sharing contract, but in general you have to at least check each airline pair and probably each route.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Sisu V'simchu! ^

I use my miles every year for an El Al business ticket. This might make availability to London, Paris, Madrid and Rome greater than it has been in the past for a great stop over on the way.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
But the coal in the stocking (ok, wrong metaphor -- maybe "the water in the oil"?) is that they don't seem to be changing so as to allow EQM accrual on LY tickets.

I've got CO FF Jr. (age 11) well trained -- he was flipping pages in American Way recently, saw the LY logo on the Aadvantage Partners list, and came to me and asked how far it was to fly LAX-TLV. When I told him that it was about 15000 miles, he said "So then if we fly to New York and back twice next year on American, I'll be Gold and can get my own upgrades, right?"

The look on his face when I had to explain about no-EQM accrual was priceless...
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by CO FF
But the coal in the stocking (ok, wrong metaphor -- maybe "the water in the oil"?) is that they don't seem to be changing so as to allow EQM accrual on LY tickets.
IIRC, all AA codeshares earn EQM as if you were flying on AA metal. So if you book codeshare, you will be earing EQMs.

I had this flying JFK-LAX-SYD-PER last summer. The AA codeshare was $70 more (I did that all in Y, sadly; can't afford business for leisure travel just yet) than flying QF -- but the QF fare class didn't earn EQMs (or earned them at 50%), whereas the AA fare did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.