Search

El Al or Lufthansa to TLV?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
El Al or Lufthansa to TLV?

Hi there,

I am planning for my first trip ever to Israel in a couple of months. I live in the middle of the country so can fly from either New York or LA, and I don't have a big preference either way.

I am trying to consider whether the better flying experience would be on El Al or Lufthansa for this trip? In either case, I am planning on flying Business. I have flown Lufthansa many times, so they are a known for me. But I have never flown El Al. I am sort of interested in doing so for the experience of flying with them, but wanted to know what others' thoughts were here?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
There's a couple of things to factor. Based on the dates you want to travel, which has more convenient dates/time? Which has a better price?

Assuming everything is equal, and it's purely a question of which airline offers a better soft/hard product...

I notice from your handle that you belong UA MP. Flying LH allow you to earn EQMs and RDMs for Mileage Plus, which EL AL doesn't.

If you'd rather have a single long flight as opposed to a couple of longish flights, then EL AL is better. If you don't want that really long flight, and would rather break it up, go for LH. Obviously, those are personal preferences.

Regarding the seat, the 2 LY C seats (the 772 and 744) are the same. But with LH, there are a bunch of C configs and seats. Flying LH means the first leg is on a 744. Not as good of a seat as the LY ones (IMO). But the A340 seats are decent for the second leg. None of them go fully flat, so a somewhat uncomfortable sleep. You need F on either of them for that. However, the IFE is much better on LH than on LY.

I prefer service on LY to LH.

If you're a Kosher eater, meal service will be much better on LY. If not, I've heard good things about LH, but no idea how it compares to LY (or anything for that matter).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by joshwex90; Jun 20, 2011 at 4:34 pm Reason: tried to make it less confusing
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Is there a reason to consider only those two airlines? For example, you might also look into United/Continental via EWR, United/Air Canada via YYZ, which are one-stop routes that could credit all mileage to UA.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I prefer the onboard service on LY to LH.

LH's business seat sucks. And, LH's times flying into/out of TLV also suck for connections from the west coast.

I'm not sure why its just LY or LH from the US, CO and AC both offer vastly superior seating in business to LY or LH and they have great flight times out of EWR/YYZ.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by rochel
I have never flown El Al. I am sort of interested in doing so for the experience of flying with them, but wanted to know what others' thoughts were here?

Thanks!
As a first timer to Israel do it properly, which includes flying the national airline.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Regarding the seat, there are 2 LY C seats to look at and a few with LH. Flying LH means the first leg is on a 744. Not as good of a seat as the LY ones (IMO). But the A340 seats are decent for the second leg. None of them go fully flat, so a somewhat uncomfortable sleep.
I belive they are the exact same seats on LH's 744 or A340.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houminer
I belive they are the exact same seats on LH's 744 or A340.
Which is why I didn't say one is better than the other.

OP, if you are (as I assumed, though I could be wrong) interested in earning UA miles, you can fly CO via EWR, AC via YYZ, or US via PHL (probably #1 actually).
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Originally Posted by ELAL
As a first timer to Israel do it properly, which includes flying the national airline.
You know, this really factors into my thinking quite a bit! This is my first time in Israel and I am very excited. So the thought of flying El Al seemed like the "whole package" to me.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rochel
You know, this really factors into my thinking quite a bit! This is my first time in Israel and I am very excited. So the thought of flying El Al seemed like the "whole package" to me.
I disagree. That's like saying, I'm flying to England, so I must fly BA. VS is another great airline. And if my choice is UA F or BA CW, I'm not taking BA just because it's the national carrier. (Yes I compared F to C, but that's because CW is clearly better than UA C.)

The better comparison, I guess, is I'd sooner fly BF on CO to Germany from EWR than fly LH.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I second (or third) flying CO. Their fully flat bed BusinessFirst seats are fabulous on the 777s.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
LH's business seat sucks.
Flying LH means the first leg is on a 744. Not as good of a seat as the LY ones (IMO)
While I agree LH's C hard product isn't great ( though I find it perfectly ok for a day flight) I fail to see how LY's seat is better.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by brivido
I second (or third) flying CO. Their fully flat bed BusinessFirst seats are fabulous on the 777s.
Indeed they are.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is why I didn't say one is better than the other.
But can fully understand why someone would think you were, reading your post.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ELAL
I kind of agree in a way that there would be something nice about that.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brivido
Second best seat flying to TLV from North America. US Envoy is better.

Originally Posted by clubman
While I agree LH's C hard product isn't great ( though I find it perfectly ok for a day flight) I fail to see how LY's seat is better.
I personally find it more comfortable.

But can fully understand why someone would think you were, reading your post.
Which is why I have no edited it

I kind of agree in a way that there would be something nice about that.
I agree that there's "something nice" about it. But not "nice enough" to warrant one airline over the other. Only if everything else were equal, which it's not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.