Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
The blog site says Delta "announced" this change. Where is it announced exactly? link? website?
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nditions.html#
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Got it thanks. Seems like Delta quietly slid this in with all the other terms and rules rather then "announced" it to its customers.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Open jaw doesn't make much difference when one ways are priced at half as many miles as a RT. In fact, one could book it with a double open jaw (open jaw on each end). There will be a difference in change fees for those who aren't DM or PM in that cancelling two one way award tickets will cost twice as much as cancelling a RT ticket.

The big loss is free stopovers, which I've used sometimes to get availability.
Uhh... what? A single or double open jaw will price as two one-ways, but will still be on the same reservation/ticket. It will cost no more to cancel than a round trip.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:56 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by javabytes
Uhh... what? A single or double open jaw will price as two one-ways, but will still be on the same reservation/ticket. It will cost no more to cancel than a round trip.
Do you know this to be the case?

I guess you could draw an analogy to these current cases:
  • Party of 4 travels XXX-YYY. This is 4 awards, but one PNR.
  • Travel is USA-EU on Delta in mid, with onward connection (EU-EU) on partner (which has to price in low). This is two awards (DL mid and Partner low), but one PNR.

It is important to clarify this, because if two OW awards requires 2 PNRs, then yes, we will have increased fees and YQ on the EU-USA one-way award, which will be an increase. Ditto re 2 cancellation/change fees for those subject to them.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Do we even know that one ways will be priced at half the cost of a round trip?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I wouldn't be surprised if they did not. Any one-way pricing less than 25,000 (for domestic for example) Delta could claim are awards available for lower miles than before.

Last edited by KyBrewer; Nov 18, 2014 at 9:21 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Don't be surprised if DL's objective is to cap off the value gotten by a customer from a redeemed mile at around $0.01 per mile on average. At that point, it ought to be clear to the general public that one-ways will rather frequently be more expensive than half the cost of a roundtrip redemption.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Why should they "price" the same? For instance, a trip to Europe now takes two one-way awards that may include hefty surcharges for the leg starting in Europe.
This is probably the worst thing about one way awards. You can bet Delta will charge those fuel surcharges on flights that originate in Europe (when your European-USA flight begins with KLM/Air France). Good luck finding finding low level availability Europe-USA on Delta metal to avoid the surcharge.

So in other words, this is a huge devaluation since if you want to "open jaw" with 2 one ways, you will also accrue the fuel surcharges on the Europe-USA one way flight.

Last edited by gregman858; Nov 18, 2014 at 8:39 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:16 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Why should they "price" the same? For instance, a trip to Europe now takes two one-way awards that may include hefty surcharges for the leg starting in Europe.
That's a really good point. I hope that a JFK-LHR, AMS-JFK trip (even if on the same PNR) doesn't incur the European origination surcharge for the AMS-JFK segment but I fear that it might.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:20 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KyBrewer
I wouldn't be surprised if they did not. Any one-way pricing between less than 25,000 (for domestic for example) Delta could claim are awards available for lower miles than before.
This bit from the link provided above says they will price at the one-way pricing rules:
For Award Travel ticketed on or after January 1, 2015, all open jaw itineraries will be priced based on One-Way Award Travel pricing rules.
And with the award chart we know what one-ways are going to be (at least ex-US) so I would assume they will price as stated, based on the one-way prices in the new award chart.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gregman858
This is probably the worst thing about one way awards. You can bet Delta will charge those fuel surcharges on flights that originate in Europe (when your European-USA flight begins with KLM/Air France).
If you can post some examples or rules, great. Otherwise this is just speculation.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by mifuchs
Not just gamers. Stopovers could be used for very legitimate purposes. For example this past June I took my two twenty something kids on a fantastic trip to South Africa. We had to transit thru LHR to get J award tix as they are rarely available on the ATL-JNB route. We did a 3 day legitimate stopover in London on the this trip. This helps a great deal with the long layover and exhausting travel and my daughter had never been to London. Does anyone know offhand how many miles this would have added? As it was I was lucky to still get in on 140k but I believe it is now 160k from the US to SA. And it will be even more with this new change.

I fully understand eliminating the stopover on a one way but on a round trip it was really a great benefit and this is basically a devaluation.
This is a significant further devaluation of the SkyMiles program. Your example perfectly illustrates the best use of a stopover-transiting through a major hub onward to the destination. So now if you want to stop in London, you are confronted with mileage redemption for two trips. I am familiar with the "end add on" that award gamers tout. I just wonder what fraction of stopovers it really constitutes. Unfortunately, with United aping every Delta move, MileagePlus should be making a similar announcement shortly.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by luckypierre
This is a significant further devaluation of the SkyMiles program. Your example perfectly illustrates the best use of a stopover-transiting through a major hub onward to the destination. So now if you want to stop in London, you are confronted with mileage redemption for two trips. I am familiar with the "end add on" that award gamers tout. I just wonder what fraction of stopovers it really constitutes. Unfortunately, with United aping every Delta move, MileagePlus should be making a similar announcement shortly.
Yup, and with poor award availability in/out of hubs depending on time of travel or size of party (or simply mismatch of available connections), a stopover is often necessary just to piece an itinerary together.

This truly sucks, and further validates my decision to move away from DL as my primary carrier in 2015.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mifuchs
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janus777

Kinda makes sense to me...
people booking one ways and OJ's and chaining stop-overs doesn't really make sense with the new award policies..

So who loses with this policy? Award gamers...it might be noted that the previous (current) award program wasn't set up to allow a free one-way on the back end of every award ticket..(despite what all the travel bloggers teach)

Not just gamers. Stopovers could be used for very legitimate purposes. For example this past June I took my two twenty something kids on a fantastic trip to South Africa. We had to transit thru LHR to get J award tix as they are rarely available on the ATL-JNB route. We did a 3 day legitimate stopover in London on the this trip. This helps a great deal with the long layover and exhausting travel and my daughter had never been to London. Does anyone know offhand how many miles this would have added? As it was I was lucky to still get in on 140k but I believe it is now 160k from the US to SA. And it will be even more with this new change.

I fully understand eliminating the stopover on a one way but on a round trip it was really a great benefit and this is basically a devaluation.
It's not "basically" a devaluation, it's a huge devaluation. I'm lad I started spending my miles last year when all these changes started happening. I hope to spend my remaining half million miles before something really disastrous happens.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by HongKonger
really disastrous
I don't even want to know what you're thinking!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.