Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theplayer
will chase see accounts opened in last 2 weeks from other banks? I assume they will see BA card because it's chase, even though not on credit report yet?...opened 2 weeks ago.
I really want this card, but I'm at 5/24 without counting the BA card...3 being AA's.
Perhaps apply in a branch instead of online then? At least some (though definitely not all) people who were beyond 5/24 have been approved after applying in-branch.

I don't think we have enough details yet on the exact process each person applying in-branch went through to see whether the process details have anything to do with 5/24 not being enforced or not. For example, most people didn't even mention whether they have a Chase checking/savings account or not!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Note to those who are considering an application and are at or near the 5/24 rule:

Applied for the Freedom Unlimited when the link went live yesterday. I've only opened 3 cards in total during the last 24 months so I was expecting an instant approval. Got the 7-10 day message. Called in today and the rep was adamant that I've opened "too many" credit card accounts over the last 2 years.

I've checked and double-checked my credit report today. Only three accounts have opening dates within the last 24 months. FICO is well over 800. I fought with the rep on the phone for about 10 minutes but he wasn't having any of it and refused to transfer me to a supervisor. He just said "try again in a few months." I've been a Chase customer for over 15 years and have never been treated so poorly.

Last edited by ryanmcv; Apr 5, 2016 at 1:58 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Note to those who are considering an application are at or near the 5/24 rule:

Applied for the Freedom Unlimited when the link went live yesterday. I've only opened 3 cards in total during the last 24 months so I was expecting an instant approval. Got the 7-10 day message. Called in today and the rep was adamant that I've opened "too many" credit card accounts over the last 2 years.

I've checked and double-checked my credit report today. Only three accounts have opening dates within the last 24 months. FICO is well over 800. I fought with the rep on the phone for about 10 minutes but he wasn't having any of it and refused to transfer me to a supervisor. He just said "try again in a few months." I've been a Chase customer for over 15 years and have never been treated so poorly.
In another thread you reported that you got approved after all upon HUCA.

(Just posting this in case people aren't reading that other thread and think this was your final outcome.)
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Hmmm.... Chase FU or Amex EDP?

Decisions, decisions.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In another thread you reported that you got approved after all upon HUCA.

(Just posting this in case people aren't reading that other thread and think this was your final outcome.)
Yep, meant to post here as well. Sorry for any confusion.

Called again and got a much more helpful/friendly rep. He agreed to go over my credit report with me. After a few minutes, he agreed that only 3 accounts had been opened in the past 24 months, so he wasn't sure why I wasn't auto-approved or why the previous rep stated that "too many accounts" had been recently opened.

After verifying my address, income, etc., the new rep approved me with a generous CL and offered to expedite the card shipment because of the inconvenience.

I certainly don't "churn" cards, and I have a squeaky clean credit report, so I'm not sure what Chase's computers saw that prevented an auto-approval. Maybe it's because the Freedom Unlimited is so new? Just glad I was eventually approved.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:39 am

Wife and I both PC'd our idle sapphires that were downgraded from CSP 2 years ago(both got new CSP's in Jan) to the Freedom Unlimited. I value UR highly for European trips(esp Bos-Dub). We will probably use this for all non bonus categories for our business to accumulate UR points.
We were both over 5/24, so PC was the way to go.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Hmmm.... Chase FU or Amex EDP?

Decisions, decisions.
Amex EDP will give you a bonus on grocery. FU won't give you any category bonuses.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps apply in a branch instead of online then? At least some (though definitely not all) people who were beyond 5/24 have been approved after applying in-branch.

I don't think we have enough details yet on the exact process each person applying in-branch went through to see whether the process details have anything to do with 5/24 not being enforced or not. For example, most people didn't even mention whether they have a Chase checking/savings account or not!
4/24 rule seems very much in force when applying at local branch.

I went in to my local branch on Wednesday. I'm in there all the time (typically paying credit card bills), I have about half a dozen Chase cards, have a decades-long, squeaky-clean track record with them, very high credit rating, they also have our home mortgage (we did a refi through their office).

Applied for FU a few days ago. No instant decision. Got a call from him yesterday, application was denied. Letter will arrive in a week or so, I assume it will state "too many new cards in past 2 years." I am currently at 10/24, figured I'd take a shot. FWIW I do not see a new hard pull, so it appears they only got as far as checking for the 4/24 test, and stopped there.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:44 pm

Just received my Freedom Unlimited and was a little disappointed to see that it is only a Visa Platinum (not Visa Signature), despite being approved for a $10k+ CL. I always just assumed that if Chase approved you for anything $5k or greater, the card would be a Visa Signature. All of my other Chase cards are Visa Signature, so I'm not too concerned (although I guess that means I don't have a "flexible spending limit" on this card... not that I would ever need it). Just thought it was odd. I sent a SM to see if it's possible to change over to a Visa Signature. We'll see.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Got the 7-10 day message. I'm currently at 4/24 (3 in my name and 1 as an AU) and am a Private Client. Probably should have applied in branch. Time for recon...
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:48 am

Just received an email from Chase with a link to an overview of the card's purchase protection and travel benefits.

Visa Signature:
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...unt-protection

Visa Platinum:

Also, for what it's worth, I sent a SM to Chase requesting an upgrade to Visa Signature. They replied back and approved my request. So if you receive your card and don't see the Visa Signature logo, it looks like Chase is willing to upgrade you by request.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by konems
Got the 7-10 day message. I'm currently at 4/24 (3 in my name and 1 as an AU) and am a Private Client. Probably should have applied in branch. Time for recon...
Call the fraud/verification line. If it's 7-10 immediately...sometimes it's just them sending a letter wanting more info from you.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Question

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Just received an email from Chase with a link to an overview of the card's purchase protection and travel benefits.

Visa Signature:

Visa Platinum:

Also, for what it's worth, I sent a SM to Chase requesting an upgrade to Visa Signature. They replied back and approved my request. So if you receive your card and don't see the Visa Signature logo, it looks like Chase is willing to upgrade you by request.
Can I ask you how you approached this request? I'm embarking on a CSP+Freedom+FreedomUnlimited combo. Did new apps for CSP and Unlimited but PC'd an old outdated chase card into a freedom card. During PC I was informed the freedom card was gonna be visa platinum.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Auracon
Can I ask you how you approached this request? I'm embarking on a CSP+Freedom+FreedomUnlimited combo. Did new apps for CSP and Unlimited but PC'd an old outdated chase card into a freedom card. During PC I was informed the freedom card was gonna be visa platinum.
It was a pretty straightforward request via secure message. Here's what I wrote:

Hello,

I just received this credit card in the mail and noticed that it is only a Visa Platinum card, not a Visa Signature card. Is it possible to change this into a Visa Signature, like the rest of my Chase credit cards?

Thank you for your assistance.
They replied:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Chase to change over to a Freedom
Unlimited Visa Signature card.

We value our relationship and it is important to us that
we address your needs as a customer. Let me share that
I've changed your account to a Freedom Unlimited Visa
Signature card as you requested.

Here's what you need to know:
- You should receive your new card in 3 to 5 business
days. We're sending it to the address we have on file for
you.
- You can continue to use your current card until your new
one arrives and you confirm that you've received it.
Please destroy any cards and access checks for your old
account.
- Your account number remains the same.
- You will still be able to view your old account online.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
When will this hit Chase Refer A Friend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.