Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mia
This statement appears on the main page:

...but it is ambiguous because it's not mentioned in the terms, and some posters have received Mall points when using other cards.
I have definitely received points from purchases where I used different credit cards, or gift cards.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kendenton
I have definitely received points from purchases where I used different credit cards, or gift cards.
I have too. The problem now comes with one of my purchases not posting.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leonard016
Per The Points Guy, Southwest will be a UR partner starting 1/5/2012. That is a great enhancement of UR.

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/12/sout...anuary-5-2012/
Yes, but unfortunately these will not be Companion-Pass-Qualifying points, as have all other transfer partner points heretofore (Choice, Wyndham, Diners, etc.).

Diminishes the value to a max of exactly 1.666 cents, and a worrisome omen.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:33 am

Do you have to use UR to book airline tickets ?

If you want to use your points towards airline tickets or use companion ticket, do you have to use the Ultimate Rewards site ? If so is it more expensive than expedia/orbitz/airline website ?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by travelone1
If you want to use your points towards airline tickets or use companion ticket, do you have to use the Ultimate Rewards site ? If so is it more expensive than expedia/orbitz/airline website ?
I believe you have to use the Ultimate rewards site. However, in my case it was a really good deal. I needed a one way flight from BHM to PDX. The cost in miles after conversion was less then kayak for coach, and I was able to book first class for less! (I was flying continental in case it's relevant, over the thanksgiving holiday)

It really surprised me how fair the redemption was.

I also have a Citi thank you premier card and I was able to rent a car for about 40% less through their reward site using my points as it would have been using carrentals.com apples to apples.

So to me both cards were more than worth it.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I think you are talking about using UR or TY points for travel redemption. These are built-in features to get extra value per point.

For Premium UR (Sapphire Preferred, JPM Select, Ink Bold), you will get 25% more, i.e. 1 point = 1.25 cent.

For TY Premier, you will save 25% thus get 33% more, i.e. 1 point = 1.33 cent.

This way TY points worth more. However, for many, miles value more than 1.33 cent and this is where the transfer feature of Premium UR shines: 1UR = 1 CO/UA/KE/WN/Hyatt etc.

Originally Posted by Wyleeguy79
I believe you have to use the Ultimate rewards site. However, in my case it was a really good deal. I needed a one way flight from BHM to PDX. The cost in miles after conversion was less then kayak for coach, and I was able to book first class for less! (I was flying continental in case it's relevant, over the thanksgiving holiday)

It really surprised me how fair the redemption was.

I also have a Citi thank you premier card and I was able to rent a car for about 40% less through their reward site using my points as it would have been using carrentals.com apples to apples.

So to me both cards were more than worth it.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by leonard016
For Premium UR (Sapphire Preferred, JPM Select, Ink Bold), you will get 25% more, i.e. 1 point = 1.25 cent.

For TY Premier, you will save 25% thus get 33% more, i.e. 1 point = 1.33 cent.
Moreover, it's straightforward to earn 2+ TYP per dollar on all spending, but more challenging to average 2 URP unless using the card very selectively.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Moreover, it's straightforward to earn 2+ TYP per dollar on all spending, but more challenging to average 2 URP unless using the card very selectively.
I cannot agree any more.

There are times I forgot which card I should use to maximize the points. I had used Sapphire Preferred exclusively for dining when we were in HKG recently for 2 weeks. Upon return I should have switched to Freedom which earns 5% for dining till 12/31/11. But I totally forgot until 2 or 3 dines later.

For this matter I truly miss the Schwab 2% card. The simplicity has value.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:35 pm
Formerly known as quyinhong

Programs: SPG-Plat HHonors-Gold IHG-RA US-CP
purchase made on hotwire does not count as travel spending

just found out that the hotel purchases made on hotwire dose not count as travel spending and won't earn 2X points on those spending, CSR said hotwire is under 'Direct Marketers-Not elsewhere classified' , but for airfare purchases through hotwire, since the transactions go through airlines directly instead of hotwire, it will earn 2X points.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by maulah
This is the most important point. If you don't want to take any risk and want to make it foolproof then always charge to the chase card. Usually most points are posted within 3-4 days and if not then still it is so much better to talk to the CS
I sent a secure message to customer service. The CS Rep said that I didn't check-out properly through the UR Mall, but he would give me my requested points as a courtesy gesture ^. I know I clicked through the mall, but maybe it is because I had visited groupon prior without? Do you need to do something like use a new window, exit firefox, safari, or clear your cookies prior to going through the mall to make sure the transaction logs correctly?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by quyinhong
just found out that the hotel purchases made on hotwire dose not count as travel spending and won't earn 2X points on those spending, CSR said hotwire is under 'Direct Marketers-Not elsewhere classified' , but for airfare purchases through hotwire, since the transactions go through airlines directly instead of hotwire, it will earn 2X points.
Isn't Hotwire in the mall already for extra points?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by keirnna
Sears gift card purchases posted today.
My Sears gift cards did not even post to my Chase card yet. I used the sapphire site and then switched to the INK BOLD. SEARS tells me they are in the mail, and chase tells me that they are in pending status for a week and likely to not ver be posted , and drop off unless SEARS does some creative billing.

In any event I did not get them yet , and I need the $2000 to finish 5K Ink Bold spend grrrr
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna
Isn't Hotwire in the mall already for extra points?
You should be able to receive both the travel category bonus (offered by Chase) -and- points for using the mall (offered by the merchant), but if Hotwire is coded differently the category bonus will be lost on transactions billed using their identity.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:22 pm
Formerly known as quyinhong

Programs: SPG-Plat HHonors-Gold IHG-RA US-CP
Originally Posted by mia
You should be able to receive both the travel category bonus (offered by Chase) -and- points for using the mall (offered by the merchant), but if Hotwire is coded differently the category bonus will be lost on transactions billed using their identity.
Exactly, I did not receive the 1 bonus point for hotwire spending on Sapphire card since hotwire is coded as 'Direct Marketers-Not elsewhere classified'.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
delete

Last edited by laxsnaogg; Dec 20, 2011 at 8:09 am Reason: na

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.