Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL are enhancing T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:28 pm

Fortnum and Mason are opening a standalone store at T5 as well as a seafood/champagne bar, which will probably be the replacement for Caviar House.

Louis Vuitton are also opening a store in December.

The work the enable the changes started last September with the removal of the escalators from World Duty Free/Harrods and Reiss, Dixons and WH Smith being replaced with World of Whiskey and a duty free cigarettes store. This has allowed them to close the part of WDF where cigarettes and champagne were sold so refurbish the store and move the store somewhat out in to the walkway (there's a line drawn on the floor which shows where the store will come out to)

This in turn has meant that the main World Duty Free store has been moved back to allow a more direct and straight route through the concourse wothout going around the lifts.

The stores which are moving out in to the walkway at the southern end are just using up space where there is lower footfall.

IIRC the only stores still open at the southern end are Mappin and Webb, Dior, Gucci, Prada, Harrods souvenirs, Paul Smith and the new WHSmith store.

One big benefit of the works is that there will be a new "orientation area" which will move the departure boards and have a similar setup to the one after Security North, which moves the crowds and people staring at the boards out of the main walkway.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
When is poundland coming?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by ardboe
When is poundland coming?
I believe you may be looking for the LTN and STN forum
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The shops are for visitors - connecting passengers especially. I'm not surprised the locals don't like them when you can find most of the brands in London anyway.
As long as shops make HAL money they will continue to look after the retailers needs. It's silly to think otherwise.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
So they didn't use this opportunity to offer a direct security link between First Check-in and the CCR / Lounge area?

There isn't really any point in the First Check-in desks as currently set up. It would make a lot more sense if they'd had a 'premium' Check-in area with a separate lane with its own security leading directly to the lounge area like they had at Terminal 1 (Zone Z???) and of course at T4 originally where all the Concorde and First passengers went directly through security to the lounges.

Probably the biggest 'miss' of all at T5 and a bit surprised that they haven't rectified this as ground handling must be the weakest part of BA F when compared to what other airlines offer (at least from their own HQs).
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
So they didn't use this opportunity to offer a direct security link between First Check-in and the CCR / Lounge area?

There isn't really any point in the First Check-in desks as currently set up. It would make a lot more sense if they'd had a 'premium' Check-in area with a separate lane with its own security leading directly to the lounge area like they had at Terminal 1 (Zone Z???) and of course at T4 originally where all the Concorde and First passengers went directly through security to the lounges.

Probably the biggest 'miss' of all at T5 and a bit surprised that they haven't rectified this as ground handling must be the weakest part of BA F when compared to what other airlines offer (at least from their own HQs).
Read the above with a "HAL wants to increase shopping revenue" hat on, and the answer to your question is obvious.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:04 am

Oh, and I'll go on to say that I'm another one that doesn't give a stuff about shopping at the airport.

If I go shopping it's to get rid of foreign money at the end of a trip and then I'll only buy something useful like a bottle of Gin (or ciggies in the old days).

I'm one of those that just puts their head down and marches off to the lounge as quickly as possible. If I didn't have lounge access I'd be looking for the most comfortable coffee shop/wine bar/restaurant (appropriate for the time of day ) to settle down in. I don't think I'd be milling about oohing and ahing at all the luxury goods on offer.

@:-) I don't suppose there's any chance that they'd install a 'quiet area' or reading room for peaceful contemplation of the day's newspaper?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
@:-) I don't suppose there's any chance that they'd install a 'quiet area' or reading room for peaceful contemplation of the day's newspaper?
Use the prayer room to read your paper.

<OMNI>If you choose the Daily Mail, the level of factual accuracy will be about the same as most religious anthologies </OMNI>
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Read the above with a "HAL wants to increase shopping revenue" hat on, and the answer to your question is obvious.
Sorry, I didn't realise that BA and HAL were the same thing.

I jest.

But wouldn't it have been nice if BA had forced HAL to make these changes for the benefit of their premium passengers?

OK, I geddit - BA shares in the profit of HAL so there's no incentive on the part of BA to reduce HAL's cashflow as that would have an impact on the bottom line etc etc....

Is that it?

Or maybe BA just doesn't give a stuff anyway - they don't become profitable by caving into riduculous demands like those I've suggested.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The shops are for visitors - connecting passengers especially. I'm not surprised the locals don't like them when you can find most of the brands in London anyway.
As long as shops make HAL money they will continue to look after the retailers needs. It's silly to think otherwise.
In my case that logic is wonky. I would normally see something in Prada etc then make a note to see if they have it less VAT when next in Heathrow. I never buy anything 'cold' at the airport, my mind is not in the right zone!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
If "HAL wants to increase shopping revenue" then they should leave Heathrow and open up a high street chain and get on with it. Perhaps we could persuade them to swap with M&S, imagine an airport run by staff with a share in the business.... polite staff, etc. etc.....
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Just think how much they will be able to expand the shops once Boris Island or another alternative opens then they won't be constrained by all those tarmac strips and needing to provide gates.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Write to FvdP.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by gcuk
These days the aircraft almost seem irrelevant. It's all about retail and parking revenue
And if that retail and car parking revenue wasn't there we'd be paying considerably more for our flights.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by V10
I am not familiar with this notion that shopping is relaxing in normal shops, never mind in an airport.
I'm guessing that you are not female.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.