Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL are enhancing T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And if that retail and car parking revenue wasn't there we'd be paying considerably more for our flights.
I am not sure I agree with you there. We don't know HAL's business model and so cannot speculate as to how they calculate profit from retail vs profit from customer services. If they get greater profitability from retail than customer services then they will tend to make CS the poor cousin. Witness the crowded nature of the transfer area.... knocking down a few shops and providing more space for passengers would not occur to an organisation fixated on retail rather that what should be their prime role.... getting passengers to and from aircraft.

Other countries are able to sort out their national airport hubs without them being crowded with shops and other stuff irrelevant to the task in hand, and those places have a much more open feel. I would cite HEL, SIN, HKG and KUL as good examples of this.

Personally I detest the stench of ghastly perfume that I am forced to walk through, I resent the fact that HAL force me to go past all of the shops to get to the lounge. I make a point of NOT buying anything there and waiting until I get to a shop that I need, when I need it.

I am sorry, but stuff their shops and their retail plans, if I have to pay more to get to my flight then I would welcome the opportunity!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xxxxx
The work the enable the changes started last September with the removal of the escalators from World Duty Free/Harrods and Reiss, Dixons and WH Smith being replaced with World of Whiskey and a duty free cigarettes store.
So how will you get from Security South to the Galleries South?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chistery
So how will you get from Security South to the Galleries South?
Slightly confusing quote there. There are two sets of escalators by South Security going down, one which everyone uses just outwith Harrods, and one that seems to be for my exclusive use inside the Harrods store. Regrettably for me (but no one else seems to have noticed its existence) the Harrods escalator was boarded up months ago. But the main escalator is and will remain in service. So in short nothing changes there: if you don't have access to the Millionaires' Door, turn left after South Security towards Plane Food, and around the escalator to go down, then straight on to the South Lounges escalator.

My understanding is that the Harrods escalator is being removed, in order to facilitate the WDF store is being moved slightly towards the apron (eastwards), and the relatively narrow stores on the west side will be gaining space by creeping eastwards.

Now that's good news for people who want to walk along the main drag between North and South because at the moment there is a pinch point on the front entrance side to WDF: there isn't a lot of space between the lifts/escalor gubbins and store itself. That's the area were staff are standing with the perfume drench. So if that corridor shifts over there will be a clearer rat run for anyone not in consumer reverie dawdle mode, with the escalator more central to the corridor.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Was in T5 last week and agree with comment that it is a bloody mess, particularly around the lounge complex escalators where no doubt a lot of effort is going into relieving many of the well healed of their money in exchange for overpriced tat.
I also noticed that the prices in the shops have risen, in my view significantly. Like others I try to buy things at overseas destinations as they are invariably cheaper, however the odd bottle when heading to the states does make into my handbag. Not any more, Malts and Cognac both overpriced and indeed both cheaper in my local supermarket and more so in Costco.
If you want bacardi or smirnoff its fine but the price differential only makes buying sensible if your taking it away to save on hotel prices. Otherwise just not worth it.

Despite the works, T5 remains the best of a bad bunch at LHR. T3 is simply vile and the yellow brick road to get through the shops utterly frustrating. IMHO. .....that reminds - Glasgow has adopted the same chicane of a route to get from security to gate, bloody frustrating and time consuming.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by Raffles
Average people don't generate any cash. Where is the revenue share on a £10 Next T-shirt?

My Mrs easily does £500-£1000 a year in T5 shopping. If you replaced the posh shops with BHS that would drop to next to nothing. I have probably done £5k myself since T5 opened albeit 70 per cent in one watch!

The LV will be a game changer. I promise you, Asian pax will start switching flights to BA PURELY to be able to access the LV duty free on the way home. That shop will be doing £1m a week within 3 months.

You won't be doing £1m a week from Itsu or BHS ....

Exactly.
Worth noting that you can already get a VAT rebate when buying from a UK LV store, which after the rebate company (global blue IIRC) takes a cut, ends up at about 13% ish discount if I remember correctly.
Whether things airside are cheaper overall remains to be seen, but I predict the store will do very well indeed regardless.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Slightly confusing quote there. There are two sets of escalators by South Security going down, one which everyone uses just outwith Harrods, and one that seems to be for my exclusive use inside the Harrods store. Regrettably for me (but no one else seems to have noticed its existence) the Harrods escalator was boarded up months ago. But the main escalator is and will remain in service.
Ah thanks. I wasn't aware of your exclusing one in Harrods but then I've always managed to avoid going in there.

Originally Posted by binman
Despite the works, T5 remains the best of a bad bunch at LHR.
I'm looking forward to trying T2 out. At least it has a John Lewis.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ginger50
I am not sure I agree with you there...
So where do you think they would recoup their lost revenue?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:48 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Banana4321
I'm guessing that you are not female.
I am not as it happens, but I will point out that shopping doesn't do an awful lot for Mrs. V10 either. So it's not completely infallible.

Brussels Airport has relatively recently made it so that everyone gets routed *through* a shop after passing through passport control on the way to departures. This does of course also involve coming out the other side smelling like a tart's boudoir thanks to the replete and abundant perfumery positioned next to the walkway as it vaguely snakes its way through the facility.

This is probably worse, at least T5 hasn't gone as far as forcing me into the shops themselves. At least, not yet.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Now that's good news for people who want to walk along the main drag between North and South because at the moment there is a pinch point on the front entrance side to WDF: there isn't a lot of space between the lifts/escalor gubbins and store itself. That's the area were staff are standing with the perfume drench. So if that corridor shifts over there will be a clearer rat run for anyone not in consumer reverie dawdle mode, with the escalator more central to the corridor.
That particular pinch point can be avoided by walking straight between the escalator and the lifts rather than veering left or right. The street furniture tries to discourage you from doing this but there's room enough for one to pass through. As with your experience with the Harrods escalator, c-w-s, I sometimes think it's there for my personal use as I've never seen anyone else go through there
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cziwkga
That particular pinch point can be avoided by walking straight between the escalator and the lifts rather than veering left or right. The street furniture tries to discourage you from doing this but there's room enough for one to pass through. As with your experience with the Harrods escalator, c-w-s, I sometimes think it's there for my personal use as I've never seen anyone else go through there
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that one but it does make sense, thank you for sharing!!!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
c-w-s ... Who else would have a semi-private secret escalator

However, it sums up my opinion of the awfulness of T5. You have to have an expert to avoid the damned shops, or sneak through them to get from A to B (via C, D, E, F).

It's such a shame. Supposedly UK's flagship terminal, and it's a total unergonomic (?) mess after BagDrop.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
So where do you think they would recoup their lost revenue?
I understand your point, but I would like to know how much would be lost and how much they would need to charge pax as a result. We don't know what HAL makes from retail and what affect this has on the cost of our airport experience. If HAL published a paper telling me that each transit I make through T5 is £50 cheaper because of the retail activity that would help. My concern is that as a commercial entity, HAL has lost the plot because as a for profit organisation they seem to be more interested in retail sales than they are in the provision of passenger services.

Looking at SIN for example, there is an airport that clearly puts passengers before retail, and what a superb thing it is.

T5 is an airport first and a retail opportunity second. I think that HAL see it the other way around.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ginger50 ... Agree entirely with your perspective. Sadly, HAL needs revenue from wherever it can get it. Call it prostitution, if you will! Personally I would prefer a nicer airport than a shopping Mall, so I guess I would have to pay a premium to lose the shopping clutter.

I have no idea about competing business plans, I just know that I infinitely prefer IAD (1960s) to LHR. For a pax there (certainly at the mainly-International B-Gates) it's free-flow space for people, with the retail and catering bits along the sides of wide open spaces between the gate seating areas.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, bloody HAL.

"... Terminal 5 an even better place for our passengers to shop, eat and relax."
As others have said, nothing to do with being an efficient way to get on an aircraft and escape from the bloody place.

If you are in the post security area, you are there to catch a flight. You have paid them all already.
Now " How can we help you lighten your wallet ? " Can we take advantage of the time on your hands and tempt you with so many bargains from Duty Free shops ?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I am not a great airport shopper---just the odd single malt or a bottle of scent but I can see why more shops will work for the owners and some travellers

I was interested to read the comparison with SIN maybe that's why so many from that part of the world just love transiting LHR (or other uk or European airports )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.