Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL are enhancing T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by V10
Let's be positive - at least it's not Stansted.
Long time ago, but in MaxJet days it was delightful ... although Priority Security used to lead straight into Duty Free, IIRC. However, the MY Lounge was awesome, so we didn't see much of STN
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:35 pm

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 6:23 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Watch the [reduced] space

Shops make money for HAL, seated pax don't.

I would be more comfortable with the "Shopping Mall" concept if it wasn't so awash with 'High End" outlets that the vast majority [I suspect] wouldn't contemplate using in their wildest dreams. What I see, as I pass 'swiftly by', is shops that I wouldn't set foot in, despite my £££, or simple things like Boots and the like. I don't really notice much 'middle ground' that would tempt "Mr/Mrs Average* to go shopping.

But then I don't use an airport for shopping. And that's why I'm irritated [I think that's the right word] by having to wade through the shops to achieve the Airport Function ... which is, in itself, not very good either.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't been in T5 recently, the current main areas of focus are around the escalators leading up to South Lounges, the over side from Paul Smith / Smythson. And there used to be some cheaper cafés in that area which is boarded up and will be replaced by LV and co. One can speculate that a few LV customers will quickly outspend the ITSU hordes, unfortunately, and it's all on revenue share to HAL.

But let's give them some credit: the only bit which has been finished so far is the lovely new lounge for Assistance passengers (which frankly is more pleasant that North Galleries Club), who no longer look like they have been dumped at the bottom of the South Lounges escalator. Also the entire set-up is vastly better than the sprawling mess of Gatwick (though that's also being improved) or the other LHR terminals, with the debatable exception of T2 The Queen's Terminal, which does have a bit of a wow factor.

There are modifications going on for Dublin, and then hopefully an escalator from Flight Connections to South Security. It's part of a renewal phase which includes better quality seats and improved power sockets for non lounge passengers. I've met quite a few HAL managers recently and I'm persuaded their heads and hearts are in the right place. So perhaps best to wait to see the end product, rather fall back on tired prejudices and clichés.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Useful, thanks CWS

I still think T5 is ***p though
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I agree with you (post 18). There's a lot of high end retailers that the average person would not think of using on a regular basis and those that would are more likely buying CW or higher so can use the lounges.

The millionaires door will take some of the higher spenders away from the shops too

But as a mall operator HAL seem to know what they're doing. These high end shops must be bringing in the cash or they'd get rid of them and put a Primark and Harvester in, maybe a Yates's for those who are flying BA because Virgin was too expensive

I did say earlier that I didn't think they'd devote more space to retail but reading subsequent posts perhaps I was wrong. It would be a poor experience if there was less floor space than currently.

Let's be fair. Some people enjoy shopping. Some people believe they need to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. They might as well give people something to do. I only shop when I need to, I don't take pleasure in it so if I wanted nothing I'd be in a bar or restaurant if I didn't have lounge access.

EDIT: thanks for the clarification c-w-s

Last edited by layz; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm Reason: A couple of posts later...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:18 pm

I flew though T5 last September and I didnt use any shops mainly cause I arrived at 5am and my flight was 6:45 from the C gates and nothing was open yet till 5:30am.

Not that it bothered me, I just walked around the Terminal and enjoyed the atmosphere of the Terminal which I like, so I keep happy that way and not spending money!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:45 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
The sadness is that a brand-new major Airport Terminal was turned into a Shopping Mall that sells things that 97% of people don't want/need. In the process, the basic function of T5 was made a seriously inconvenient maze for the uninitiated, and a PITA for the regular travellers.
^^^
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've met quite a few HAL managers recently and I'm persuaded their heads and hearts are in the right place. So perhaps best to wait to see the end product, rather fall back on tired prejudices and clichés.
Bollocks.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I like shopping, and I earn a pretty decent wage, but for me the shops at T5 are far too expensive for an impulsive pre-holiday purchase. Give me some decent high street stores and I'll be more inclined to spend my money.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Is LHR like EDI where HAL get a slice of all the money the shops make, so it's in their interest to sell as much as possible?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by layz
I agree with you (post 18). There's a lot of high end retailers that the average person would not think of using on a regular basis and those that would are more likely buying CW or higher so can use the lounges.

The millionaires door will take some of the higher spenders away from the shops too
Average people don't generate any cash. Where is the revenue share on a £10 Next T-shirt?

My Mrs easily does £500-£1000 a year in T5 shopping. If you replaced the posh shops with BHS that would drop to next to nothing. I have probably done £5k myself since T5 opened albeit 70 per cent in one watch!

The LV will be a game changer. I promise you, Asian pax will start switching flights to BA PURELY to be able to access the LV duty free on the way home. That shop will be doing £1m a week within 3 months.

You won't be doing £1m a week from Itsu or BHS ....
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a friend who flies out of LGW purely because of the "good shops". No idea what she means. I don't think she's shopping at "LV" though.

Originally Posted by T8191
Useful, thanks CWS

I still think T5 is ***p though
I bet you'd change your mind if there was a thrice daily JER-T5 service (processed as a domestic)

Originally Posted by Raffles
My Mrs easily does £500-£1000 a year in T5 shopping. If you replaced the posh shops with BHS that would drop to next to nothing. I have probably done £5k myself since T5 opened albeit 70 per cent in one watch!
You don't miss a chance do you?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ManAtTheBack
Nothing about getting on an aircraft.
These days the aircraft almost seem irrelevant. It's all about retail and parking revenue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.