Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL are enhancing T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Brussels has recently (well since I last flew from there) added a forced route through the shop. There's now a door blocking the traditional path for "authorised personnel only" which would save at least 30 seconds.

As I was still at the EU parliament a mere 55 minutes before my SN flight was due to take off yesterday, I was not impressed. Very tempted to "accidentally" knock several things off shelves as I barrelled from the EU exit post to the security at B gates.
Haha, I'm in the BRU lounge right now and logged on to complain about the exact same thing, those doors make it extra annoying for those of us who know where they lead to.

I even had the same thoughts as you on knocking things off shelves, there is a particularly flimsy perfume stand right on one of the corners they force you toward, it would be a terrible shame if someone were to knock that over as they rush to get a flight....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

I wish they actually provided services that would be useful at airports -- like a barber, or other things that one often wishes one had time to get done before leaving on a trip. I miss post offices as well (few and far between and usually landside if available at all in airports). A supermarket or place selling excellent fresh fruit, veg, cheeses, olives etc and breads and prepared foods to make it possible to assemble a good picnic would be great too. That used to exist at paddington but not sure if it's still there.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by salut0

A supermarket or place selling excellent fresh fruit, veg, cheeses, olives etc and breads and prepared foods to make it possible to assemble a good picnic would be great too. That used to exist at paddington but not sure if it's still there.
There's a Marks & Spencer's food in T5 arrivals landside that can be used by anyone
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by jbfield
It could be argued that the crux of the problem is the regulatory regime. HAL's airport fees are regulated and there is a limit to the profit they can make from those (any extra revenue above forecast is given back to the airlines as a discount). Their other stream of revenue is from retail - as that part is not regulated they maximize it. Combine that with ownership from investors who want a return, then the terminal gets stuff with shops to the full.
Old post, but worth pointing out to the complainers that this is incorrect.

Heathrow is regulated by the CAA under a single till model. This means that every pound made in retail revenues reduces aeronautical charges (landing fees etc) by a pound. Heathrow does not get to keep profits made from retail, in fact the CAA requires Heathrow to increase the retail revenues by certain amount in each regulatory period, with the benefits given to passengers. They have no choice.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Old post, but worth pointing out to the complainers that this is incorrect.

Heathrow is regulated by the CAA under a single till model. This means that every pound made in retail revenues reduces aeronautical charges (landing fees etc) by a pound. Heathrow does not get to keep profits made from retail, in fact the CAA requires Heathrow to increase the retail revenues by certain amount in each regulatory period, with the benefits given to passengers. They have no choice.
This is very interesting, however how can the CAA require an increase in retail revenue? They may insist on more retail space but if people don't spend more there is not a lot that HAL can do about it.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
This is very interesting, however how can the CAA require an increase in retail revenue? They may insist on more retail space but if people don't spend more there is not a lot that HAL can do about it.
The CAA makes challenging assumptions about growth in retail revenue and sets airport charges on the assumption that these targets are met. If HAL fails to achieve these retail targets then it suffers the loss, as it can't make up the lost revenue by charging the airlines more. So HAL is under constant pressure to improve its performance from retail (and car parking/property etc). Under the current regulatory arrangements it has no choice.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BasilBush
The CAA makes challenging assumptions about growth in retail revenue and sets airport charges on the assumption that these targets are met. If HAL fails to achieve these retail targets then it suffers the loss, as it can't make up the lost revenue by charging the airlines more. So HAL is under constant pressure to improve its performance from retail (and car parking/property etc). Under the current regulatory arrangements it has no choice.
Ah ok, I understand now so if they fall short they lose profit and if they exceed they have to give the profit back. Who in their right mind would want to run an airport with those constraints?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:34 pm

Ah ok, I understand now so if they fall short they lose profit and if they exceed they have to give the profit back. Who in their right mind would want to run an airport with those constraints?
HAL is regulated in 5 year chunks. If they outperform within those 5 years they get to keep the surplus. If they underperform they suffer the loss. At the end of the 5 years everything is reset and new targets are devised by the CAA.

You are right that it is a crazy way to run an airport. The incentives for efficiency are very blunt, and the main effect is to encourage HAL to invest ever more in new facilities on which it is allowed a (pretty much) guaranteed return. Hence the reason why T5 cost Ł4.5bn when initial estimates were a fraction of that (and overseas airports do it much cheaper). But I'm afraid that the CAA is wedded to the current system, and the airlines are reluctant to consider any changes.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:45 am

A cynic might think that any company subject to such regulation would be looking for accounting tricks to squeeze more money out.

I'm sure HAL would never even dream of doing anything like that, though.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by salut0
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

I wish they actually provided services that would be useful at airports -- like a barber, or other things that one often wishes one had time to get done before leaving on a trip. I miss post offices as well (few and far between and usually landside if available at all in airports). A supermarket or place selling excellent fresh fruit, veg, cheeses, olives etc and breads and prepared foods to make it possible to assemble a good picnic would be great too. That used to exist at paddington but not sure if it's still there.
The VS clubhouse has a hair salon.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
A cynic might think that any company subject to such regulation would be looking for accounting tricks to squeeze more money out.

I'm sure HAL would never even dream of doing anything like that, though.
The technical term is "regulatory gaming". It is a well known feature of infrastructure regulation, and the current regulatory approach only ensures that it continues to happen. Sadly the CAA's Economic Regulation department has taken a step backwards since its previous head left (he was open to radical changes) and airport regulation is now just a cost-plus system, which is guaranteed to result in gold plating and inefficiency.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xxxxx
Fortnum and Mason are opening a standalone store at T5 as well as a seafood/champagne bar, which will probably be the replacement for Caviar House.
And Fortnum & Mason is now open for business:

Among the items on sale are coffee, tea, jam, marmalade, honey, own label whisky, cocoa, chocolate items, other confections such as Turkish Delights, and currently a few Christmas treats. Notably mince pies! Male staff in frock coats, poor things.

It is located immediately by the escalator to South Lounges, I don't know if this demographic has been targeted specifically, but.....

There are a number of other shops that seem close to opening in the vicinity.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I've yet to set foot in a single shop in T5 or any other terminal, I seem to be immune to their lure. Security, Lounge, Airplane.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And Fortnum & Mason is now open for business:

Among the items on sale are coffee, tea, jam, marmalade, honey, own label whisky, cocoa, chocolate items, other confections such as Turkish Delights, and currently a few Christmas treats. Notably mince pies! Male staff in frock coats, poor things.

It is located immediately by the escalator to South Lounges, I don't know if this demographic has been targeted specifically, but.....

There are a number of other shops that seem close to opening in the vicinity.
The concept is to create a Monopoly board through T5.

As such, the area around the South lounges escalators will become Mayfair.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BasilBush
The incentives for efficiency are very blunt, and the main effect is to encourage HAL to invest ever more in new facilities on which it is allowed a (pretty much) guaranteed return.
The regulatory regime is a little more sophisticated than that.

For an investment to enter the game, the justification for it must be accepted by the regulator. Of course the airport operator can spend its money as it wishes, but the investment will not increase the regulatory asset base unless Mr Regulator says yes. And it is that asset base which generates the (pretty much) guaranteed return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.