Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL are enhancing T5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by filton216
Palma Majorca (Spain) is like that, through security and you have to walk through a Duty Free store before the main departures!
Hate that. Happens at East Midlands and BHX now - and soon at Edinburgh once the new security hub opens.

I want to be given a choice not to have to walk though the shops.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It does appear that T5 has become a bookshop free zone (token selections at three WHS notwithstanding)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Yes, they converted the Waterstones to WH Smiths.

Its all Kindle these days. Sigh!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Yes, they converted the Waterstones to WH Smiths.

Its all Kindle these days. Sigh!
Which is horrible if you realise going through security that you've left your Kindle charging in the study...

(I know you could buy another Kindle at Dixons, register your account and download some of your books again, but in the old days you'd just have bought a book or two, which would have been a bit cheaper...)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
As well as the Kindle itself I have the app on my Ipad and Iphone so hopefully I will have at least one of them with me!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
You're right - other airports haven't developed the same hassle factor as HAL (or GAL...or other former BAA airports) [although some Scandinavian airports are heading that way...like CPH]. I suspect they had a view on global competition more than BAA did in the day (it was a monopoly after all) and focused on passenger experience, including convenience, above retail exposure.
Given max capacity at LHR, HAL has little incentive to invest in reducing hassle. They need to attract more connecting traffic (like AMS). They just want to provide minimal passenger comfort and then try to maximise pulling money out of travellers' pockets via retail.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
HAL are yet to take a hint from other airports and offer free (and not time-limited) wifi. So many companies (both in terms of forms of transport and bricks and mortar places) are jumping on that good bandwagon that I hope that it will only be a matter of time.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by techie
HAL are yet to take a hint from other airports and offer free (and not time-limited) wifi. So many companies (both in terms of forms of transport and bricks and mortar places) are jumping on that good bandwagon that I hope that it will only be a matter of time.
Of course if you had free wifi people could use it to check the prices in the airport shops and see what marvellous value they offered
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I vote MAN T1 as one of the worst "forced duty free" offenders, with the new layout of LGW South a close second (unless you use the hidden escape corridor)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I vote MAN T1 as one of the worst "forced duty free" offenders, with the new layout of LGW South a close second (unless you use the hidden escape corridor)
I've given up moaning about this, it's everywhere now, though EDI - which is nakedly trying to maximise shopping rake off - has so far resisted this. LBA has a hidden left turn in their one, to ensure as many people go to the end of the duty frees and then forces a turnround to see the rest of the store. NCL's one is full of Jeux Sans Frontiers impediments to get around. But, despite the fact that many Southerners regard us as functionally illiterate, we do have quite a big freestanding WH Smith Books store, and the other 2 branches both have more books in them than T5.

The actual reason, of course, is that books have a mark up around 20% or so on a Ł10 unit price, cosmetics well north of 50% on Ł20 unit price. So if an airport is on revenue sharing, and most of them are, then Fortnum and Mason here we come.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: ABBA
Brussels has recently (well since I last flew from there) added a forced route through the shop. There's now a door blocking the traditional path for "authorised personnel only" which would save at least 30 seconds.

As I was still at the EU parliament a mere 55 minutes before my SN flight was due to take off yesterday, I was not impressed. Very tempted to "accidentally" knock several things off shelves as I barrelled from the EU exit post to the security at B gates.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Not surprisingly the newly "enhanced" STN departure area (owned by MAG) now includes a compulsory walk through duty free shop.

I really do dislike it. I almost never buy anything in duty free (especially not in the UK) so forcing me to walk through perfumes, chocolates and drinks - along with pushy "sales advisers" isn't going to make me more likely to spend my money. I just want to get to the lounge/bar/gate as soon as possible.

AGP is another offender. They recently remodelled the area after security to make you walk through the duty free shop.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Camflyer
Not surprisingly the newly "enhanced" STN departure area (owned by MAG) now includes a compulsory walk through duty free shop.

I really do dislike it. I almost never buy anything in duty free (especially not in the UK) so forcing me to walk through perfumes, chocolates and drinks - along with pushy "sales advisers" isn't going to make me more likely to spend my money. I just want to get to the lounge/bar/gate as soon as possible.

AGP is another offender. They recently remodelled the area after security to make you walk through the duty free shop.
How is it any different from other airports? You walk along a walkway with things to buy on either side of you. Same as LHR

You buy things if you want, you walk straight on if you don't.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are many airports like that. SYD T1 is a particularly notorious case, IMHO.
Rather embarrassingly (considering I go through SYD T1 enough times to know better), I only just successfully managed to find the shortest route though SYD T1's duty-free maze by bearing right as possible around the bend into the general area.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Stez
Rather embarrassingly (considering I go through SYD T1 enough times to know better), I only just successfully managed to find the shortest route though SYD T1's duty-free maze by bearing right as possible around the bend into the general area.
It's not been the same ever since they removed the escape staircase that took you straight up to the lounge corridor before you even reached the main part of the shop ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.