Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thank you. It is a mark of the expertise of FT that I am learning new things even now. I have never managed to get over 2,500 TPs in the past so this is new territory.

Now, onto another question! I'm thinking about using a GUF2 for an open jaw flight. From what I can see, availability on these sectors is limited (LGW-LIM, EZE-LHR) so was planning to go for the outbound first using a 241 and GUF2. Can I then call and add the return in the same way as a regular 241 booking?

I guess the other way would be to book WT+ in a sale through a TA and get them to apply the GUF2. Has anyone had any experience of either scenario?
Old May 3, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi all, quick question;

I was on the understanding you could use a GUF2 to book into avios availability and/or cash fares via CS. Is this correct? We've just upgraded to F on a flight to Miami but there's no Avios availability on the way back. We've been told we cannot book into cash fares using this voucher.

Slightly confused as the T&Cs state:

Gold Upgrade vouchers can be used in conjunction with any published fare sold directly by British Airways, including Avios points redemption bookings. However, it excludes group bookings and those sold as part of a packaged holiday. Gold Upgrade vouchers may be used in conjunction with eligible industry or agency discounted fares only.

Update: We've used a BAPP241 for the CW tickets - could this be the reason? There's no reference to this being the case.

Any help here? Many thanks.

Last edited by London32; May 3, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL
If you book directly through BA your GUF can only be used to upgrade into award availability. This applies whether it's a cash or Avios booking. If you make a cash booking through a TA, such as Propeller Travel, and have your GUF applied at the time of booking, you can book directly into a revenue booking class, which IMHO makes it infinitely more valuable!
Old May 6, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thanks. I have used Propeller to offload one GUF2 but for the second I would rather start running down the huge pile of Avios that seem to accumulate in my account. I'm planning a MRU trip and a Lima/Buenos Aires jaunt.

I'd rather go the Avios route so want to bag the outbound when it pops up next year and then add the return a week later when that availability shows up. I'm guessing that it is the same procedure as the 241 when you add the GUF2. I'll soon find out!
Old May 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by chewy3
I'm happy to process any GUF2s with no service fee (booking into revenue classes, A, I, T) if ticket is to/from the North America. Send PM.
I thought the TA has to be in the same country as the country where the BAEC member is registered. Can you get around this?
Old May 6, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Just wanted to make sure before I book this, that there is no way to use GUF on this? I presume not due to KA legs or is there a workaround?

Cheers.
Attached Images  
Old May 6, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You may be able to if you book on the phone with BA. Obviously the GUF will only work on LHR-HKG-LHR.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:29 pm

I am thinking about deploying a GUF1 to SJO. The thing is that on this route the difference WT-WTP-CW is something like 736-1264-1792, so really that large. Once you add in the fuel surcharge, the TA fee, and in the case of WT-WTP the extra APD, the value for the GUF1 comes in at something like £420. Not that great. I've only used one GUF2 before now (LON-AUS/IAH-LON) and that saving was about £3,300, so nearly 4 times as much.
It just strikes me as not really worth it. I could burn the 27k avios earned to "save" £180 but that's a pretty poor use of Avios. Any thoughts, it seems my options on this route are limited but I have an already-extended GUF2 that still expires before this trip, and 2 GUF1s that would be within validity. It is next March, so I could wait for a sale I suppose, but my dates are fixed, I want the direct BA option, and the plane only holds so many....
What would you do?
Old May 9, 2017, 3:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Just wanted to make sure before I book this, that there is no way to use GUF on this? I presume not due to KA legs or is there a workaround?

Cheers.
If booked with BA you can use a GUF (subject to reward availability) and upgrade your LHR-HKG and HKG-LHR flights. If booking using a TA then no you can't use a GUF.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
If booked with BA you can use a GUF (subject to reward availability) and upgrade your LHR-HKG and HKG-LHR flights. If booking using a TA then no you can't use a GUF.
Thanks KARFA. If only they would codeshare on HKG-CTU!
Old May 20, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Is BA still allowing 6 month (or any other duration) extensions to GUFs on request? If so, is there anything in particular you need to say when calling to ask?

If they do extend, does this get reflected in the GUF expiry date in your BAEC account, or do they record it in yet another spreadsheet (à la GGL benefits) that requires manual confirmation in in order to use it after the original expiry date?

Many thanks for any help on this.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My last extension was a two minute phone call and was reflected in my Exec Club five mins later. Was about three weeks before due to expire.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Is BA still allowing 6 month (or any other duration) extensions to GUFs on request? If so, is there anything in particular you need to say when calling to ask?

If they do extend, does this get reflected in the GUF expiry date in your BAEC account, or do they record it in yet another spreadsheet (à la GGL benefits) that requires manual confirmation in in order to use it after the original expiry date?

Many thanks for any help on this.
Yes they are although mine was done by the BA rep on FT. I phoned around three weeks before and was told to phone back. BA rep reached out to me and got one of mine extended. This was around a month ago now.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
My last extension was a two minute phone call and was reflected in my Exec Club five mins later. Was about three weeks before due to expire.
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Yes they are although mine was done by the BA rep on FT. I phoned around three weeks before and was told to phone back. BA rep reached out to me and got one of mine extended. This was around a month ago now.
Thanks both, I will give them a call. Will be very useful if I can extend it.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:43 pm

Just checking: if I book a CW ticket with the goal to be upgraded to F, I understand that A fare bucket availability must be available... but does it matter what the CW fare bucket is to be eligible (talking cash purchase, not Avios)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.