Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RoarAhead
Can I include a stopover on an itinerary where I intend to use GUFs? So, say LHR - SIN (long stopover) - SYD - SIN - LHR?
Depends if the fare itself allows stopovers, and how much they cost if allowed. Reward fares do allow free stopovers, for revenue fares it depends on the specific fare rules.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
Just wondering if anyone has UuA'd a leg or itinerary and then later tried swapping that with a GUF and getting the Avios back?

I'm off to SYD next year but won't get a GUF until November, and have already upgraded a leg from J to F using avios. Ticket was booked direct with BA, and ideally I'd apply the GUF in stages as availability opens up on each segment.
Can I bump this question? I can't see that it was answered and I have exactly the same scenario myself in that I want to upgrade a booking in August but won't get any GUFs until around May. There is currently reward availability for the upgrade on the flights.

If I UuA now, can I swap this for a GUF when I do get one later this year and therefore get my avios back?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Can I bump this question? I can't see that it was answered and I have exactly the same scenario myself in that I want to upgrade a booking in August but won't get any GUFs until around May. There is currently reward availability for the upgrade on the flights.

If I UuA now, can I swap this for a GUF when I do get one later this year and therefore get my avios back?
I can loan you a GUF, it that will help ^
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I can loan you a GUF, it that will help ^
Thanks Tobias-UK, that's a very generous offer ^

This is an existing booking and I thought the GUF owner would need to make the actual booking as well in order to apply the GUF?

Just something more that I now remember, I have done a variation of this in the past so made a booking and UuA'ed one of the long haul sectors, then at a later date decided to upgrade the other long haul sector. The agent on the phone actually suggested applying one of my GUFs instead to cover both long haul sectors and refunding the avios from the previously processed UuA - which does lead me to believe that the answer to my (and Quarky Quark's question) is yes you can do it and swap a UuA for a GUF.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've got a GUF2 that expires in March, as well as a GUF1 that will expire in June, and will get more of each in March and June respectively.

I'm struggling to get value out of the GUF2 within the validity period, but I do have a trip that would be eminently suitable for upgrade about 2 weeks after the expiry date.

What's the best time to ask for an extension? I'm planning to book something in the sale that I would rather use the GUF2 on than see it go to waste, but I probably wouldn't bother otherwise.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:50 am

This is an existing booking and I thought the GUF owner would need to make the actual booking as well in order to apply the GUF? ...
I don't know the answer to that, never having done it before. When you call the GGL to upgrade you can ask about the refund of Avios for your GUF and if that is a negative ask them if I can use one of mine. I've got quite a sock of them at the moment having had my wings clipped for the last while.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
I've got a GUF2 that expires in March, as well as a GUF1 that will expire in June, and will get more of each in March and June respectively.

I'm struggling to get value out of the GUF2 within the validity period, but I do have a trip that would be eminently suitable for upgrade about 2 weeks after the expiry date.

What's the best time to ask for an extension? I'm planning to book something in the sale that I would rather use the GUF2 on than see it go to waste, but I probably wouldn't bother otherwise.
I'm not sure there is a "best time" as such: the extension is I think a fairly standard procedure.

As a data point though for my last GUFx I called up about one month before expiry and asked for the extension, as a trade-off between waiting late enough that I might find a use for it without calling up, and being bothered to make the phone call. The extension was reflected in my BAEC account I think the next day.

I think I have also read on this forum that a GUFx can be reinstated (with the extension) after expiry, but that might require the magic touch from the GGL line.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GinFizz
I think I have also read on this forum that a GUFx can be reinstated (with the extension) after expiry, but that might require the magic touch from the GGL line.
Thanks... I'm not GGL (3k TPs in each of two consecutive years, but only since 2015/16) so I'll definitely get on it sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just thought I'd make another recommendation for Daniel at Propeller Travel for managing GUF2s. I booked an AMS-LHR-KUL-BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS trip through them this week (details of this fare have been posted in the Premium Fares thread I think), all in I/J but with the LHR-KUL and HKG-LHR sectors upgraded to First with my GUF2. All went through fine despite the KUL-BKK and BKK-HKG sectors being on foreign metal - so this can be done! Really easily booked with Propeller, Daniel had emailed me back within an hour of me contacting them on Sunday afternoon.

Originally Posted by skba1
Also you get TP and Avios earnings for the upgraded class with a TA, which you do not if booking through BA.
Is this an official benefit, or just good luck from BA's IT systems not working properly? My trip is showing with the F TPs included in MMB, but I wasn't banking on them actually getting to my account.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by GinFizz
I'm not sure there is a "best time" as such: the extension is I think a fairly standard procedure.

As a data point though for my last GUFx I called up about one month before expiry and asked for the extension, as a trade-off between waiting late enough that I might find a use for it without calling up, and being bothered to make the phone call. The extension was reflected in my BAEC account I think the next day.

The GGL Line extended 2 expired GUF1s for 6 months, and it was done within 3 hours of calling - with an email from BA to confirm.

I have more GUFs than I can possibly ever use, and it's a shame to see them expire and just disappear from the screen!

M
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

This is an existing booking and I thought the GUF owner would need to make the actual booking as well in order to apply the GUF?

Just something more that I now remember, I have done a variation of this in the past so made a booking and UuA'ed one of the long haul sectors, then at a later date decided to upgrade the other long haul sector. The agent on the phone actually suggested applying one of my GUFs instead to cover both long haul sectors and refunding the avios from the previously processed UuA - which does lead me to believe that the answer to my (and Quarky Quark's question) is yes you can do it and swap a UuA for a GUF.
I've definitely UUA'd flights in the past and then added a GUF and had the Avios refunded. Only one leg of a LHR-SYD return was available, but in the end I'd gotten 3 out of the 4 and the agent suggested using one of my newly earned GUF vouchers to get the Avios back.

If you can use GUF vouchers for random strangers that would open up the FT GUF Swap Shop, surely? "I've got one expiring next month, anyone planning to use a GUF this month which has 6 months validity on it fancy using mine instead and I'll use yours in the Summer?".

Would be handy, but I doubt BA would be overly keen on the idea.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If you can use GUF vouchers for random strangers that would open up the FT GUF Swap Shop, surely?
It might do, but not on the BA forum. Bartering is against the FlyerTalk rules except in the Coupon Connection forum.

Originally Posted by GDOCP
Is this an official benefit, or just good luck from BA's IT systems not working properly?
It is not an official benefit and if they do show up it might be best to keep that under your hat.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I don't know the answer to that, never having done it before. When you call the GGL to upgrade you can ask about the refund of Avios for your GUF and if that is a negative ask them if I can use one of mine. I've got quite a sock of them at the moment having had my wings clipped for the last while.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've definitely UUA'd flights in the past and then added a GUF and had the Avios refunded. Only one leg of a LHR-SYD return was available, but in the end I'd gotten 3 out of the 4 and the agent suggested using one of my newly earned GUF vouchers to get the Avios back.

If you can use GUF vouchers for random strangers that would open up the FT GUF Swap Shop, surely? "I've got one expiring next month, anyone planning to use a GUF this month which has 6 months validity on it fancy using mine instead and I'll use yours in the Summer?".

Would be handy, but I doubt BA would be overly keen on the idea.
Some more information on this. The agent I spoke to yesterday seemed to think this should be fine to UuA now and swap for a GUF later. She said it would need approval and she couldn't guarantee it would be allowed, it would need supervisor approval, but she seems optimistic that it should be ok.

In terms of using another person's GUF, I asked about that too. She said that was fine, the person who originally paid for the booking doesn't need to also be the GUF owner. The extra taxes, charges, and fees would have to be paid by the GUF owner though, and effectively the GUF owner takes over control of the booking. This does mean you have a few practical issued of getting the GUF owner as a named person on the booking and getting their permission to use the GUF - I think a three-way call would be the easiest way to do this. Also if you need to change the booking later you will find it more difficult as you need to involve the GUF owner as well.

On the above basis we agreed probably the best way forward was to go ahead and do the UuA and call later this year once I get a GUF to ask to apply it and get the avios back. At the end of the day I am not avios poor so tbh even if I couldn't get the avios back it is not really a problem. At 65,000 avios it would be a reasonable return in exchange for a GUF1 though.

Again, thank you to Tobias-UK for the offer. It was unexpected and very kind.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:34 am

Thanks for the update, KARFA. If ever you need to borrow a GUF just let me know, there's plenty in the bank ^
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Seeking a bit of clarification can I Guf using a TA from WTP to CW and then later on UUa if space opens up to F getting BA to take control of the booking ?

And do Amex Travel UK wave charges for Plat cards (although I don't see anyone reporting that they are effective !)

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.