Understanding GUF2

Old Jul 3, 17, 11:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
Cannot use a GUF2 nor a Joker on BA/IB flights. As you say, JetTime was a wetlease, IB is a proper codeshare but only uses a BA flight number for IT purposes.

The IB flight numbers in the 3xxx range is standard for IB - almost all international shorthaul flights are in that range, 6xxx for longhaul. Real BA flights to MAD are listed as IB7xxx.

Have you looked at the LCY-GRX flight?
Old Jul 3, 17, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
Okay - I am confused ... Are the "BA" flights from LHR to MAD with numbers 5XX (BA512-BA524) IB codeshares as far as using a GUF2 (and for that matter a GGL joker) is concerned?
The story is that to celebrate the marriage between IB and BA, all flights from either airline from LHR to MAD get BA prime codes regardless of operator, and all flights from MAD to LHR get IB prime codes, regardless of operator. They also all get IB or BA codeshares as appropriate.

The range BA 510 to BA 538 is reserved for IB-operated flights from LHR to MAD. As far as I am aware they are treated as codeshares for all purposes including GUFs etc. I would try a true BA-operated flight instead. You will find these flights in the BA 400-499 range.
Old Jul 3, 17, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
MAD LHR are not all IB prime codes.
IB31xx are operated by IB (BA7xxx)
IB74xx are operated by BA (BA45x-46x)
Old Jul 4, 17, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Odd. Trying to get a ticket to price, using a upgrade. Y to Y+ ORD-LHR and then LHR-KRK/WAW-LHR-ORD. Taxes come back at over $1K USD. I thought for WTP it should be like half that.
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:52 pm

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Cannot use a GUF2 nor a Joker on BA/IB flights ...
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
The story is that to celebrate the marriage between IB and BA ...
Thanks both for the replies. Not what was I hoping to hear, but thanks anyway

The LCY-GRX flight is a nice option, but unfortunately the timing of the flight from LCY is also too early to make on the same day as arriving from Beijing. I think we'll either have to take the BA flight to MAD at 16:15 (I guess if there are delays we can be moved to a later IB flight according to IRROPS procedures), or maybe we'll re-jig the plans to spend a couple of days in London on either side of the Spanish trip (rather than one block at the end of the trip).

Interesting also to read about the history of the BA/IB flight numbers - I hadn't noticed that it was the other way around on the MAD-LHR flights (maybe also the IB flights that don't fit the same pattern were added afterwards as extra slots became available?).

Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
Odd. Trying to get a ticket to price, using a upgrade. Y to Y+ ORD-LHR and then LHR-KRK/WAW-LHR-ORD. Taxes come back at over $1K USD. I thought for WTP it should be like half that.
That doesn't look right to me either. I do recall that the fuel surcharge (YQ) on flights in CW for journeys starting in the USA can be eye-watering, but I don't think that applies to Y+ (the WTP cabin).

In any case I just ran a check on ITA Matrix for some dummy dates in August, and ORD-LHR(stopover)-KRK//WAW-LHR-ORD in Y+ comes up with taxes of around only 450 USD. In your case it should be a little higher than that as the LHR-KRK/WAW-LHR legs will be in CE so attract a a higher UK APD - but that is only 17USD extra (total very close the figure you were expecting). Using the Avios calculator tool on the BA site (pricing up as two separate trips and ignoring the stopover) also gives similar numbers.

I guess the open jaw at return is causing problems here. Maybe try pricing up a simple ORD-KRK-ORD trip to reassure yourself of the numbers, and then call to book the actual trip? Are you trying to make this booking as a Avios+GUF or cash+GUF booking?
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Can anyone provide recommendations for a publicly accessible TA (i.e. not a corporate TA), other than Propeller, that they've used to process GUF/GUF2 requests please?
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque View Post
Can anyone provide recommendations for a publicly accessible TA (i.e. not a corporate TA), other than Propeller, that they've used to process GUF/GUF2 requests please?
I would appreciate advice similar to the above. I have a GUF booking to make, and will be dropping the last leg, hence would avoid Propellor.
Old Jul 9, 17, 11:42 am

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
I've successfully used Amex Travel before, but it took quite a bit of to/fro though before finally getting sorting. Also I don't drop any legs on ex-EU tickets, not sure how they'd view that.
Old Jul 9, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC
I've used SkyClub to do these before and they have been reasonably competent.
Old Jul 9, 17, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Thanks both ^
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I would appreciate advice similar to the above. I have a GUF booking to make, and will be dropping the last leg, hence would avoid Propellor.
Given that we know BA may go after the TA for bookings where the last leg is dropped, why is it ok to use a TA for this other than Propeller?
Old Jul 10, 17, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Given that we know BA may go after the TA for bookings where the last leg is dropped, why is it ok to use a TA for this other than Propeller?
I understand that Propeller ask you to sign some sort of agreement to encourage you not to drop the last leg, as they have been burned in the past. I would expect other TAs not to do this.
Old Jul 10, 17, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Do you think BA is going to try to sue AmEx for this kind of thing?
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by Lucanesque View Post
Flight Centre Business have done it for me before. It takes a bit of explaining, but they get there in the end. Unfortunately you tend to have to haggle quite a bit and often feed them the exact fare codes you want, to avoid being quoted excessively.
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I understand that Propeller ask you to sign some sort of agreement to encourage you not to drop the last leg, as they have been burned in the past. I would expect other TAs not to do this.
Other TAs who have not had Propeller's experience may not ask you to sign anything out of ignorance of the situation. They may then be hit with chargebacks too.

Search this Thread