Understanding GUF2

Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by golfmad
Other TAs who have not had Propeller's experience may not ask you to sign anything out of ignorance of the situation. They may then be hit with chargebacks too.
Whilst this is possibly true of smaller agents, I really can't see BA being so brazen as to attack the likes of Amex Travel or Flight Centre.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Whilst this is possibly true of smaller agents, I really can't see BA being so brazen as to attack the likes of Amex Travel or Flight Centre.
I agree but experienced people asking here for TAs that will process GUFs will no doubt already be familiar with the likes of Amex and Flight Centre.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:34 am

Given that we know BA may go after the TA for bookings where the last leg is dropped, why is it ok to use a TA for this other than Propeller?
Other TAs who have not had Propeller's experience may not ask you to sign anything out of ignorance of the situation. They may then be hit with chargebacks too.
I agree but experienced people asking here for TAs that will process GUFs will no doubt already be familiar with the likes of Amex and Flight Centre.
Do you have a specific problem in this area?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Do you have a specific problem in this area?
I have views on the subject and have expressed them in this thread. Is there something that's not clear or that you don't understand and would like me to expand upon?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:30 am

I have views on the subject and have expressed them in this thread. Is there something that's not clear or that you don't understand and would like me to expand upon?
No very clear. Just those who wish to engage in this shady practice do not need to be preached to.

I am also one of those horrible people that "live" in Germany to evade the BA credit card fees, if that helps.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
No very clear. Just those who wish to engage in this shady practice do not need to be preached to.

I am also one of those horrible people that "live" in Germany to evade the BA credit card fees, if that helps.
As I'm sure you'll remember, there was a detailed discussion in the aftermath of the problems incurred by Propeller by people who did what you propose to do.

My recent posts in this thread are there to draw attention to those problems that had a potentially devastating effect on that relatively small travel agency.

Propeller resolved those problems and have since put measures in place to protect themselves.
Other smaller TAs may not be so fortunate and you are actively seeking out those TAs that have not yet protected themselves.

If you regard my posts as preaching on this subject then you are not wrong.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
BA will submit ADMs to any company, regardless of size. I know of Amex receiving one recently simply because the agent did not follow instructions and provide the correct Gold Upgrade deal number in the tour code field following an upgrade submission.

I have to say, I'm very much with Golfmad on this one. If you're going to cheat the system and risk causing problems to a company, maybe think twice and either book direct with BA or complete the full journey.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
BA will submit ADMs to any company, regardless of size. I know of Amex receiving one recently simply because the agent did not follow instructions and provide the correct Gold Upgrade deal number in the tour code field following an upgrade submission.

I have to say, I'm very much with Golfmad on this one. If you're going to cheat the system and risk causing problems to a company, maybe think twice and either book direct with BA or complete the full journey.
I'd quite like to see what Amex wrote on that before sending it back.

I'm in agreement that you should complete your journey. I rarely drop last legs but have had to do so on occasion. For that particular eventuality I would imagine BA would not be so trigger happy sending ADMs to large, powerful TAs.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:05 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Thanks both for the replies. Not what was I hoping to hear, but thanks anyway

The LCY-GRX flight is a nice option, but unfortunately the timing of the flight from LCY is also too early to make on the same day as arriving from Beijing. I think we'll either have to take the BA flight to MAD at 16:15 (I guess if there are delays we can be moved to a later IB flight according to IRROPS procedures), or maybe we'll re-jig the plans to spend a couple of days in London on either side of the Spanish trip (rather than one block at the end of the trip).

Interesting also to read about the history of the BA/IB flight numbers - I hadn't noticed that it was the other way around on the MAD-LHR flights (maybe also the IB flights that don't fit the same pattern were added afterwards as extra slots became available?).

That doesn't look right to me either. I do recall that the fuel surcharge (YQ) on flights in CW for journeys starting in the USA can be eye-watering, but I don't think that applies to Y+ (the WTP cabin).

In any case I just ran a check on ITA Matrix for some dummy dates in August, and ORD-LHR(stopover)-KRK//WAW-LHR-ORD in Y+ comes up with taxes of around only 450 USD. In your case it should be a little higher than that as the LHR-KRK/WAW-LHR legs will be in CE so attract a a higher UK APD - but that is only 17USD extra (total very close the figure you were expecting). Using the Avios calculator tool on the BA site (pricing up as two separate trips and ignoring the stopover) also gives similar numbers.

I guess the open jaw at return is causing problems here. Maybe try pricing up a simple ORD-KRK-ORD trip to reassure yourself of the numbers, and then call to book the actual trip? Are you trying to make this booking as a Avios+GUF or cash+GUF booking?

It was Avios + GUF, and got it resolved but not upgrading the intra-Europe flights. Taxes then came out to be around $400 total
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt BA would withdraw ticketing authority from say Carlson Wagonlit.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
I doubt BA would withdraw ticketing authority from say Carlson Wagonlit.
My main concern here wasn't the larger TAs.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:31 am
sew

Quick question. I know it says on here you can combine the GUF2 with an AMEX voucher. But on-line I can't seem to find the option - and when I called the gold line, the lady said they couldn't be combined? What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sew
Quick question. I know it says on here you can combine the GUF2 with an AMEX voucher. But on-line I can't seem to find the option - and when I called the gold line, the lady said they couldn't be combined? What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks
The lady is talking out of her behind.

If you go in to the reward search page when signed in you can see to book online with the GUFs under the "Book and upgrade" tab, and with the companion voucher under the "Book with avios" tab. Unfortunately I do not think you can book online if combining both a companion voucher and GUF so you would have to call to do it. I would just call again and you should get someone willing to do it.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:23 am
sew

Thanks. I will try again.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You can very much combine an Amex 2-for-1 voucher, a GUF2 / 2 * GUF1s, and a Joker if needed to make the avios seats appear. I've done it a few times, always on the phone though

For bonus marks, also through in an ex-INV or ex-JER to dodge the APD, and hear the shock from the GGL team agent on just how cheap you've managed to get your redemption

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.